IMG_1738 (resized).JPG
IMG_1737 (resized).JPG
IMG_1735 (resized).JPG
IMG_1736 (resized).JPG
IMG_1734 (resized).JPG
IMG_1733 (resized).JPG
IMG_1732 (resized).JPG
IMG_1731 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago

I don't think lamp boards are really worthwhile to repair when they have any significant battery damage. Maybe save the large chips if possible (if they're clean), and then recycle it.

The MPU isn't the worst I've seen. It's reparable. The header pins would need to go, though. If you do (or can do) the work yourself, it may be worthwhile. If you can't, it's probably not economical to send it out for repair since it's not a particularly expensive (aftermarket) board.

1 week later
#33 6 years ago
Quoted from ShootForSlrValue:

The bubbled up traces on the backside of the MPU and LDB; is all of that corrosion? If so, how would I get to it to neutralize it? Scrape off the masking and expose the leads? Could I just sand off the masking around the ground plane at TP4 as well?

The wrinkled masking on the traces on the entire board is normal.

Quoted from pacmanretro:

There are some decent repair tips in vinegar, water, alcohol rinses to neutralize the acid as well floating around out there in repair guides.

Vinegar doesn't actually do much of anything. I use Zep now. It's more acidic and you can actually see a chemical reaction with the alkaline leakage, which actually removes most of it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-battery-corrosion-with-a-strong-acid

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from ShootForSlrValue:

Thanks for the info. By the way, that lamp driver board looks phenomenal! I hope I can get the old one to look anywhere near that!

Thanks, glad you're happy with it

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Interesting, I believe it was a clay guide that had the method I mentioned. I'll have to check out your suggestion. Thanks F.F.

It was mentioned in a lot of places. I used it too because it was pretty much the go-to approach. But I always kind of wondered how effective it actually was since I could never see the vinegar actually do much of anything.

Once I saw zep work and clean off the alkaline residue, it was obvious that vinegar was not very effective. It simply wasn't acidic enough to counteract the alkaline.

So, as time goes on, people try new things, and better techniques sometimes surface to replace older ones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-board-repairable?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.