Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1893B227-9785-4E46-8335-152EE4BE191B (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Just got a Black Hole project in a trade for another project I was stalled on. There is a large separation in the rear corner of the cabinet. The plywood has separated where the central channel was. The outer layers of the plywood seem to be a little warped outward. I can press them back together with my hand but I’m concerned if I glue it all back together either the plywood warped it will just crack and separate again down the road. Any opinions?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I would think some glue and maybe a piece of wood in the corner with some nails or screws and you will be good as long as it doesnt need to look like its new.

#3 4 years ago

Gorilla glue and some clamps. Look for a cabinet repair forum and ask for advise there.

cottonm4 Any advice?

#4 4 years ago

Will this evolve into a black hole restoration thread (I hope)?

#5 4 years ago

I'd use titebond and clamps. If necessary, also glue in a small block of wood in the corner to help brace it.

#6 4 years ago

So I got the separation closed after digging out some loose splinters of wood that were wedged down in there. Titebond II and a tight clamp for now on that area. Letting it dry 24 hours and then will see if I can get the sides to go back together. I plan to reinforce the bracing in the corners and use some fine countersunk screws to get it to hold together. The cabinet will be stripped and filled before being re-stenciled anyhow so I can cover the screw holes.

Thanks guys!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Will this evolve into a black hole restoration thread (I hope)?

Probably!

#8 4 years ago

Here’s the current state of things:

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

Initial repair looks good. Clamp removed this afternoon. Got the corner epoxied and clamped with the help of a buddy. Another overnight cure!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago

To close the story, the answer to my question was yes! After a 24 hour cure with clamps in place the corner is nice and stable. I will be repairing the other corners as well before gutting and stripping the cab.

1893B227-9785-4E46-8335-152EE4BE191B (resized).jpeg1893B227-9785-4E46-8335-152EE4BE191B (resized).jpeg
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

What's next?

Well both front corners are loose as well so I removed the side rails and cleaned out, epoxied and clamped both front corners today.

I think I've gone through about 3 tubes of Gorilla glue epoxy so far lol.

Once the epoxy has cured I'm going to shoot some new nails through it to add some extra strength and then start stripping the cab.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-black-hole-cabinet-repairable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.