AA92E53B-E89F-4597-A738-EEA1ED92B064 (resized).png
572394B6-BF60-409D-B780-967DB8712ED1 (resized).jpeg
1BEA9E2C-C8B3-45F3-954F-D0C103F71E56 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
B6BD0C1C-34BC-4CCE-9A17-ACC5F1424563 (resized).jpeg
CFD0EDA8-40C0-4E51-8FF7-F0BD3EACFC7D (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Is it? If yes, how rare is it?

I included photos of the lockdown bar, there are a couple holes drilled into it and then covered up.

What would a price be without mods or extras or LEDs?
C5AE4D62-99E7-4EF1-B3C7-9FC8DE35F8C2 (resized).jpegC5AE4D62-99E7-4EF1-B3C7-9FC8DE35F8C2 (resized).jpegCFD0EDA8-40C0-4E51-8FF7-F0BD3EACFC7D (resized).jpegCFD0EDA8-40C0-4E51-8FF7-F0BD3EACFC7D (resized).jpegF6F8B9C3-B15C-4528-A0F5-2805A69C1B90 (resized).jpegF6F8B9C3-B15C-4528-A0F5-2805A69C1B90 (resized).jpeg
B6BD0C1C-34BC-4CCE-9A17-ACC5F1424563 (resized).jpegB6BD0C1C-34BC-4CCE-9A17-ACC5F1424563 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
1BEA9E2C-C8B3-45F3-954F-D0C103F71E56 (resized).jpeg1BEA9E2C-C8B3-45F3-954F-D0C103F71E56 (resized).jpeg572394B6-BF60-409D-B780-967DB8712ED1 (resized).jpeg572394B6-BF60-409D-B780-967DB8712ED1 (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

Probably quite rare, at least in submitted data that can be scoured on the 'net. This exact serial, a format known as "experimental", was submitted it IPSND in 2012. It's the only serial number in this format submitted out of an already thin amount of 1500 or so games produced. https://www.ipsnd.net/details.aspx?id=28175

That said, a proto or experimental game doesn't immediately inflate the value to ridiculous heights in my opinion. Please do not consider modifying this rare game. In my honest opinion, I'd place the value of this game about $2200.

#3 4 years ago

Do you have the original MPU?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I think fixing the original mpu if possible would be important to a collector but I do like the swemmer boards.
-Mike

#5 4 years ago

pf pics?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Probably quite rare, at least in submitted data that can be scoured on the 'net. This exact serial, a format known as "experimental", was submitted it IPSND in 2012. It's the only serial number in this format submitted out of an already thin amount of 1500 or so games produced. https://www.ipsnd.net/details.aspx?id=28175
That said, a proto or experimental game doesn't immediately inflate the value to ridiculous heights in my opinion. Please do not consider modifying this rare game. In my honest opinion, I'd place the value of this game about $2200.

I was hoping she’d be worth a little more than that as base value. I think with the extras, she’s worth $3K~ based on that estimate. No mods will be made, I can assure you. I’m even going to leave the original rails with operator dents.

Quoted from Palmer:

Heartbreakingly, no. I may reveal the full story in how I acquired this game, it’s origin into my possession is actually kind of bizarre, and neither I nor the previous owner (a fellow pinsider) knew of it’s rarity.

The worst part, if there was a different rom correlated to the different inserts, it would have been a very different, and slightly better game. I do not have that ROM.

Maybe the ROM can be modified to match my inserts. It would be cool to see.

I’ll be posting many more today or tomorrow. I want to make side by side comparisons. My local pinball club just acquired an Atlantis, and it looks like a different game in a few obvious ways.

Most notably, the fonts of some inserts, insert point values and my Atlantis lights do not flash, they all stay on all the time.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

One more thing I want to say in regards to this: if any pinsider can modify the code, to change point values and a couple other things, please message me. I’d be willing to compensate you for your work.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

I was hoping she’d be worth a little more than that as base value. I think with the extras, she’s worth $3K~ based on that estimate. No mods will be made, I can assure you. I’m even going to leave the original rails with operator dents.

Ah, well - She's worth whatever someone is willing to pay as you know. If you have some provenance you might be able to do a little better with the right collector. I'd be willing to pay more of a premium for an F-14 Tomcat prototype that were produced with the black cabs and different side art.

#9 4 years ago

One more thing I want to say in regards to this: if any pinsider can modify the code, to change point values and a couple other things, please message me. I’d be willing to compensate you for your work.www.ardvarkpr.com/

#10 4 years ago

I’ll be posting many more today or tomorrow. I want to make side by side comparisons. My local pinball club just acquired an Atlantis, and it looks like a different game in a few obvious ways.
Most notably, the fonts of some inserts, insert point values and my Atlantis lights do not flash, they all stay on all the time.

I'd say MOST notably, based on the couple images you can kinda see, it looks like this is a whitewood. I'd say that's the dead giveaway you have a prototype but don't mistake that as more desirable. It's cool but only a smaller subset of collectors or museums might be interested.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I'd say MOST notably, based on the couple images you can kinda see, it looks like this is a whitewood. I'd say that's the dead giveaway you have a prototype but don't mistake that as more desirable. It's cool but only a smaller subset of collectors or museums might be interested.

I dunno, the last few pictures sort of look like an Alien Star to me.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

I dunno, the last few pictures sort of look like an Alien Star to me.

Yeah. I photographed the lockdown bar on top of my white wood Alien Star - sorry for the confusion.

#13 4 years ago

I believe he has the lockbar from the bally Atlantis sitting on an Alien Star machine. It is hard to tell if that Alien Star is a white wood or if the finish has been removed. In the outlane areas there appears to be graphics.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball419:

I believe he has the lockbar from the bally Atlantis sitting on an Alien Star machine. It is hard to tell if that Alien Star is a white wood or if the finish has been removed. In the outlane areas there appears to be graphics.

It’s a long story. Separate thread, let’s please keep it that way. Search for “worst retheme ever.”

#15 4 years ago

Unless I am missing something, all you really have in the proto is red colored boards and some manufacturing handwriting. You don't have the original MPU, you have dented side rails (I had these, from someone dropping the fold down head on the game, correct?) and drilled lockbar - I believe these factors lower the value, not increase it.

Do you have any photos to share of the peculiar inserts you mentioned? Anything else different from the production game on the exterior?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Unless I am missing something, all you really have in the proto is red colored boards and some manufacturing handwriting. You don't have the original MPU, you have dented side rails (I had these, from someone dropping the fold down head on the game, correct?) and drilled lockbar - I believe these factors lower the value, not increase it.
Do you have any photos to share of the peculiar inserts you mentioned? Anything else different from the production game on the exterior?

I will be adding side by side photos of differences either today or tomorrow as aforementioned.

I have new rails if I choose to put them in.

#17 4 years ago

D'oh!

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Worse, this proto appears to be wired differently than standard production games and he doesn't have the right rom for it. This is like having the proto TMNT with the different upper playfield or the WWE with the taf style magnets, both of which were missing their original roms.

To the op, good luck getting 3k, but not seeing it. Just because it is rare does not make it valuable. Just because its a proto does not make it worth more than a regular game. If this had something unique to it that was removed from production then maybe (depends on what software it gets stuck on due to it), but you are missing the original roms and going in and modify the prod roms to work correctly is not easy for most.

#19 4 years ago

I’m going to post a few image sets like this.

In this example, mine is pictured first, with a photo of a production game below.

You’ll notice how mine is colored differently. Particularly with shading in reds, oranges and yellow.

My playfield is stamped June 8, 1988. (Final photo in this post.)
7A3F0E71-8E82-4937-993F-F4967D1F3444 (resized).png7A3F0E71-8E82-4937-993F-F4967D1F3444 (resized).pngAA92E53B-E89F-4597-A738-EEA1ED92B064 (resized).pngAA92E53B-E89F-4597-A738-EEA1ED92B064 (resized).png2BE9D5CF-7EDD-436E-8988-6E6F295DDA34 (resized).png2BE9D5CF-7EDD-436E-8988-6E6F295DDA34 (resized).png

#20 4 years ago

I’m going to post a few image sets like this.
In this example, mine is pictured first, with a photo of a production game below.
You’ll notice how mine is colored differently. Particularly with shading in reds, oranges and yellow.
My playfield is stamped June 8, 1988. (Final photo in this post.)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks more faded than anything but even if that is different it’s so minor I can’t see anyone caring.

#21 4 years ago

Here’s another major difference, mine again pictured first. The inserts for scoring are drastically different by the VUK. If they stuck with these numbers, the 7 digit scoring would have been much more reasonable.

EFCD04B9-1451-4EF0-9FA0-2F283E42FF27 (resized).pngEFCD04B9-1451-4EF0-9FA0-2F283E42FF27 (resized).png09B4C5DA-FA6F-4A6F-B109-B424608D78F6 (resized).png09B4C5DA-FA6F-4A6F-B109-B424608D78F6 (resized).png
#22 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Looks more faded than anything but even if that is different it’s so minor I can’t see anyone caring.

It’s definitely not faded, look at the angry fish in the left inlane, or the circle surrounding the diver lady.

#23 4 years ago

Mine again pictured first. The font for the A & B inserts is different compared to a production game.

F23059D7-ECA7-4386-B762-1A6C7BDCE072 (resized).pngF23059D7-ECA7-4386-B762-1A6C7BDCE072 (resized).pngFD8F6E75-F11B-491A-BC7F-C218CF8DE60B (resized).pngFD8F6E75-F11B-491A-BC7F-C218CF8DE60B (resized).png
#24 4 years ago

It’s definitely not faded, look at the angry fish in the left inlane, or the circle surrounding the diver lady.

Then see the second part of my statement

Kinda cool to have a prototype but seems like it’s worth the same or sprightly less than a normal one to me. If I’m reading right and the game plays differently because of code

#25 4 years ago

Once again, my game featured first.

Countless differences here; the squid, the boat decals, the million coloring around the insert, the boat itself (barely, but still), minor additional coloring differences.

378ABBBC-A41B-405C-B4D9-5D82CFAC1747 (resized).png378ABBBC-A41B-405C-B4D9-5D82CFAC1747 (resized).png0797AE27-AD65-4507-829E-A4D47AEEF4F6 (resized).png0797AE27-AD65-4507-829E-A4D47AEEF4F6 (resized).png
#26 4 years ago

That’s enough for today, and covers the immediately obvious differences.

#27 4 years ago

One other thing I’ve forgotten to mention, the playfield lights in my game do not flash.

#28 4 years ago

Heartbreakingly, no. I may reveal the full story in how I acquired this game, it’s origin into my possession is actually kind of bizarre, and neither I nor the previous owner (a fellow pinsider) knew of it’s rarity.
The worst part, if there was a different rom correlated to the different inserts, it would have been a very different, and slightly better game. I do not have that ROM.
Maybe the ROM can be modified to match my inserts. It would be cool to see.

Similar to the Lazer Lord prototype. Not having the original/correct ROM for the specific prototype makes the game suffer. It’s too bad. I think it’s valuable to someone but really not a HUGE increase. I hope you can see the historical importance and not just look for dollar signs.

Also even though I agree the Alien Star retheme was an ugly mistake it’s kinda too bad you decided to rip it apart. For the cost I would have just left it the way it was.

#29 4 years ago

Question: Did you have the original rom when you first acquired the game, and did you ultimately dispose of it?

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Question: Did you have the original rom when you first acquired the game, and did you ultimately dispose of it?

Sounds like before he got it someone scraped the dead board.

I personally keep all my boards even if they’re junkers, hopefully other pinsiders start doing this! Or just start burning all the ROMs just in case there are revisions people don’t know about.

For example, I own 3 VIDIOT boards, and they have different sound ROMs so it’s kinda cool to see the small updates they did along production

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Similar to the Lazer Lord prototype. Not having the original/correct ROM for the specific prototype makes the game suffer. It’s too bad. I think it’s valuable to someone but really not a HUGE increase. I hope you can see the historical importance and not just look for dollar signs.
Also even though I agree the Alien Star retheme was an ugly mistake it’s kinda too bad you decided to rip it apart. For the cost I would have just left it the way it was.

It’s seeming like I’m gonna keep it. I was definitely just looking to pass it along from the get go, but with the historical significance, and a small consensus saying it isn’t worth what I was hoping, it’ll probably stay at Möbecade.

As far as “Hunter in the Dark,” it had to be done. The upper playfield is currently serving as a guestbook to those who visit Möbecade, with creativity and a sharpie.

I’ll eventually be putting a different decal, almost custom Alien Star tribute art along with a translite to match, which is a brilliant idea from my buddy Tom.

Quoted from BeaglePuss:

I did not get the board or the rom, sadly.

#32 4 years ago

so it looks like none of the physical playfield aspects have been changed. It's all in the art package and some scoring changes for the VUK.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

so it looks like none of the physical playfield aspects have been changed. It's all in the art package and some scoring changes for the VUK.

and missing the double GI lighting for the condition red?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

and missing the double GI lighting for the condition red?

Seems that way. Bulbs are in the sockets.

Photos are of test mode, first photo is white, second photo is red.

6AB16733-65D4-4D80-82E2-6CCE7BECBCAB (resized).jpeg6AB16733-65D4-4D80-82E2-6CCE7BECBCAB (resized).jpeg9CB98E0C-BEF3-4FFD-A1FB-8414FF5714BF (resized).jpeg9CB98E0C-BEF3-4FFD-A1FB-8414FF5714BF (resized).jpeg
#35 4 years ago

A new discovery, there is at least one different sound. I’ll edit this post when I go through this further.

#36 4 years ago

bummer

Check around to see if you can get that working. I am guessing just something in that specific game

#37 4 years ago

But no elusive prototype plastic above the pop bumper area, like seen in the flyer? Bummer.

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=106&picno=4038&zoom=1

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

But no elusive prototype plastic above the pop bumper area, like seen in the flyer? Bummer.
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=106&picno=4038&zoom=1

It would be more impressive to have the prototype sub as seen in the flyer - the one that is non-functional because there are no holes for the balls to enter!

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It would be more impressive to have the prototype sub as seen in the flyer - the one that is non-functional because there are no holes for the balls to enter!

The lower playfield art does match with the flyer.

#40 4 years ago

It’s seeming like I’m gonna keep it. I was definitely just looking to pass it along from the get go, but with the historical significance, and a small consensus saying it isn’t worth what I was hoping, it’ll probably stay at Möbecade.

Pass it along, you mean you thought you were gonna get a payday and when it turned out you were dreaming you decided it wasn't worth trying to flip. Sorry, but this entire thread screamed ad from the get go.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Pass it along, you mean you thought you were gonna get a payday and when it turned out you were dreaming you decided it wasn't worth trying to flip. Sorry, but this entire thread screamed ad from the get go.

I was gonna sell it before I found out. Now, I’m not.........

I have every intention of documenting this game’s differences to a production game over time, and even making a poster of such differences, and framing it next to the game.

#42 4 years ago

I was gonna sell it before I found out. Now, I’m not.........
I have every intention of documenting this game’s differences to a production game over time, and even making a poster of such differences, and framing it next to the game.

"I think with the extras, she’s worth $3K~ based on that estimate."
"it isn’t worth what I was hoping, it’ll probably stay"

Yeah, before you found out...

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

"I think with the extras, she’s worth $3K~ based on that estimate."
"it isn’t worth what I was hoping, it’ll probably stay"
Yeah, before you found out...

If it was worth $4K+, it would be listed for sale, sure. Being worth $2K, I’ll keep it for now.

Homie, I’m allowed to do whateva the fahck I want with my collection, and you do whateva the fahck you want with yours.

#44 4 years ago

Great find. It sure is a proto: it has red board on it and a S/N with X...
It’s a keeper.
For the value, it depends who is gonna buy this and offer for it. I would offer much more for a proto but there are really few people like me in the hobby.
I have one too and will never sell it, even for 20kish so I can’t put a price tag on it.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Great find. It sure is a proto: it has red board on it and a S/N with X...
It’s a keeper.
For the value, it depends who is gonna buy this and offer for it. I would offer much more for a proto but there are really few people like me in the hobby.
I have one too and will never sell it, even for 20kish so I can’t put a price tag on it.

Do you have the original ROM for the extra inserts??

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Do you have the original ROM for the extra inserts??

I do not.

2 months later
#47 4 years ago

still an awesome find. I found a prototype Radical in someones basement once. Differences between that and the production one, were huge. It has a VUK in the back corner that would bring the ball up to the top ramps, a 6th pop bumper and a tunnel hole for the snake pit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-atlantis-a-prototype?hl=play_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.