Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by videorob
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

my id.jpg
    My PP-2.jpg
    captain_nemo_pinball_backglass_by_rublav-d50odma.jpg
    iD1xmkf.gif
    fail-free-candy[2].jpg
    starwars seems legit.jpg
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago

scam

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmklunk:

I'm assuming he's going to pay through PayPal. I'm just worried because I'm selling these for friends of mine, so things could get very dicey if I get a chargeback on my PayPal account after NAVL picks up the machines. Is there a better way to have him send payment? What's the best way to handle this?

Have him pay by plain 'ol personal check.

Wait 3 weeks for it to clear.

Have NAVL pick it up.

#53 9 years ago

Good suggestion. Thanks Vid.

#54 9 years ago

I'm late for this party, but please hear my perspective on it as a non-English speaker:

it must be a scam. Why? Analyze the correspondence between you and him. He never mentions pinball machine or anything real person negotiating terms of sale would use in a normal everyday conversation. He mentions "listing", "item", "this", "satisfied with condition as advertised". Generic speak probably usable to scam people selling everything from toe-nail clippers to lawn machines. I could even hear HAL voice in my head while reading it. No one speaks like that, with that level of avoiding naming the object of sale or his whereabouts. Even pay pal explanation is probably intended to steer someone not using Pay Pal to use it for this for the first time. I'd make him pay cash in person or stay out of it. Classic confidence trick - you can't be scammed unless you bite greedily into something you wouldn't normally receive on such offer - here you get a perfect buyer who will 100% buy pinball unseen and wouldn't nitpick about any possible hidden flaws one might stumble upon such sale, promise of a quick sale with $200 more than asked. 100% scam.

#55 9 years ago

Yep, modern day pigeon drop.

#56 9 years ago

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY! They will take your machine and reverse charges.

#57 9 years ago

paypal offers are about to get a whole lot shadier:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/22/us-nigeria-paypal-launch-idUSKBN0FR22L20140722

(PayPal signs "ten of thousands" customers in Nigerian launch)

#58 9 years ago

I'm relatively new on pinside, but have been collecting pins since the 80s. I use PayPal exclusively for purchasing pins. I've purchased 7 pins in the last six months, all but one were from pinsiders. I could go to the bank and wire money, but it's expensive, and time consuming; a real PITA. PayPal works. I've "gifted" payments well in advance of picking up a game. Only one seller was reluctant, but ended up accepting PayPal after checking out my references from from pinsiders.

I know paypal isn't perfect, but it convienent and quick, just a few keystrokes.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I'm relatively new on pinside, but have been collecting pins since the 80s. I use PayPal exclusively for purchasing pins. I've purchased 7 pins in the last six months, all but one were from pinsiders. I could go to the bank and wire money, but it's expensive, and time consuming; a real PITA. PayPal works. I've "gifted" payments well in advance of picking up a game. Only one seller was reluctant, but ended up accepting PayPal after checking out my references from from pinsiders.
    I know paypal isn't perfect, but it convienent and quick, just a few keystrokes.

Agreed, just know who you are working with when accepting payments, Paypal is simple to exploit.

Sending money is never an issue, and receiving it from a trustworthy source is also never an issue

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

It's a scam. He will send you an email that looks like it came from PayPal saying you've got money. If you go to PayPal and look there won't actually be any money in the account. I've had this happen to me a few times with eBay transactions. I guess people see the email and send items away to buyers that never actually paid.
    If you think it might be legit just go to PayPal on your own browser and make sure the moneys there. Also don't follow any links send by "PayPal" that want you to login with your password

This is the exact scam. If it were me, I would open a free gmail account and then send him that info as your paypal account without ever setting up a paypal account. Then when you get the email from him you will know for sure anyway. Then I would send him a bogus address to have the item picked up. That way maybe you can cost him a good bit of money. It would be nice to pay a scammer back for a change.

#61 9 years ago

scam x' a million

#62 9 years ago

@Ida its not being offensive to state that 99.99999% of the poor English speaking people whom want to buy high valued items off of C.L. are scammers because its true. I would make up a game name and see if he wants that one too! I bet he does and would give u even more $ on top of what your asking!

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY! They will take your machine and reverse charges.

nah they're not after the machine, they just want cash.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

i agree, but the key here is "all but one were from pinsiders". to be honest, if you can verify a buyer or seller is a regular pinside poster (and isn't a pariah here) then you can pretty much guarantee you aren't getting outright scammed, in which case any payment method at all works fine.

#65 9 years ago

So for local sales, this is what I follow. Haven't been burned yet.

1 - Ignore poorly written emails, messages that contain links, anything that seems generic or form generated quoting the title of the sale, or offers for more than your asking price. People are always going to barter with you at first unless you have a stupidly low price.

2 - CASH ONLY for local pick-up sales. Never accept anything else. And don't offer to deliver unless you enjoy being low-balled once you show up with the machine.

3 - Never disclose your address or even your phone number until the day they plan to come and see/pick up the machine. Keep everything vague about your location until they commit to a date. Then CALL THEM!!! Ask for their phone number. Speak to them on the phone to get a better gauge of who you are dealing with. If you are selling a high-priced machine, chances are they assume you have other high-priced items in your home. Numbers can be reverse looked-up to trace back to your home quite easily.

#66 9 years ago

I would follow 2 easy rules. It's very simple.

Local Sales = Cash in Hand, It's the only way to guarantee you that the money just handed to you is yours.

Shipped sales = Don't ship until the money is in your "Bank" account. IE if they paypal you it's fine, just watch your actual paypal account, (not just trusting an email that says you got paid) and then transfer the money from paypal to your bank and wait for it to fully clear. Once your bank statement shows the funds no longer pending, ship the machine.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmklunk:

Just want to ask another PayPal question. I am trying to sell a few machines for friends of mine. Someone has contacted me through pinside who is not a brand new pinsider but fairly new, saying he'd take the machines but would have to have NAVL pick them up. Nothing smells scammy to me, except that I have only shipped to people that I can definitely confirm are credible. I'm assuming he's going to pay through PayPal. I'm just worried because I'm selling these for friends of mine, so things could get very dicey if I get a chargeback on my PayPal account after NAVL picks up the machines. Is there a better way to have him send payment? What's the best way to handle this?
    Thanks,
    Derek

Hey Derek ! I've never even been to Nigeria !!
    Lol.
    No hard feelings, dude. Cant says I blame ya. Im still drooling over that skee-ball. REALLY wish I was closer !
    But jokes aside, I would never scam anybody out of anything. Those fuckers make me sick !! But,...I know you have no way of knowing that. Actually, the reason I even got a quote from Judy at NAVL was because I had been talking to her like, 4 times a day about my JP that I just bought, through Paypal, with a brand new Pinsider actually.
    But thanks dude for atleast saying I dont smell scammy !!

I would still love that skee...just dont see it working. But...Im on beer 3 now. So in about 3 hours, I'll pm ya with my latest masterplan.....
    Somebody buy that beautiful machine !!!

#68 9 years ago

So here's what I am thinking... Sure it's a scam. So I send them an invoice from my PayPal account. Listed in the terms and conditions I have written the following:

"Item is sold on an "As Is" basis. Photos were provided to the buyer, who was also given the opportunity to inspect the merchandise before purchase, but declined to do so. This item is being sold with no refunds or cancellations available. The machine may be picked up by the buyer once all funds have been deposited and have been cleared through the sellers bank. This item must be picked up at a location to be determined by the seller. This item WILL NOT be shipped under any circumstance. Included is a $200 fee that the buyer offered to the seller to hold/handle the item until it is picked up."

Do I really have anything to worry about here? I mean, we have been emailing back and forth with the address that is my PayPal address -- So it's not like its a big secret or anything. I understand I have to make sure the funds are actually IN the account, and not just go by an email that I receive.... but other than that? If I don't release the machine until payments clear (provided they actually pay and actually come to pick it up), is there any way for them to get money from me?

I guess it would be possible for the buyer to get the address/phone number of a seller through PayPal? So a burglary is, I guess, a possibility.

What angle am I missing here? I just can't see how this works out in the scammers favor?

Chris

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ika:

please hear my perspective on it as a non-English speaker:

I think you do an EXCELLENT job with your "non-English speaking"!!! I would never have known by your writing that you were from Serbia! Your command of English is better than some people from here in the States!
    Mike in Kentucky

#70 9 years ago

What you missing is that "paypal" can charge-back the amount to you in anyway they deem possible.... including tracking it to your "REAL" paypal account via other transactions / names / ip addresses. Paypal won't send you a check... they will only allow you to 1) use the cash for other transactions (which they can track) or 2) allow you to e-transfer it to your checking account... which they now have access to and can use to pull money back when it goes south.

Further; since an "agent" is picking this up... they you haven't "verified" you gave the item paid for to the buyer. Another out for him and Paypal.

Simple Cash is king kinda thing here.

I understand the desire to "go fishing" for supidity here... (on their part); but I'd just walk FAR AWAY from this deal.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Yeah, the whole thing is weird. What is the big deal with giving someone my PayPal email address? It is the same address that we have been emailing back and forth with. I don't know what they would be able to do with an address other than send money.... Below is the exchange that we have had:
    Initial Email:
    i am new to this site and whoever is receiving this should let me know if i am on the right path, What was the amount you are willing to exchange this for ?and what are your terms of sales. I will also need a meeting location.I can be easily reach at (removed by LordNorth).
    >
    > Thanks
    Response:
    Hello,
    Yes, you seem to be on the right path.
    The cost of the machine is $2500 cash. No check, no money orders, no wire transfers.
    We would meet where the game is located, you can play it for as long as you like and ask any questions that you can think of.
    If you decide that you want to take it home, we exchange the cash, and YOU are responsible for getting it out of the basement (there are bilco steps -- I recommend bringing a strong helper and moving hand-dolly) and into your vehicle.
    Please let me know if you have further questions or to set up a time to come and see it.
    Chris
    Reply to my response:
    Thanks for your mail. I'm satisfied with the condition of it as advertised in the listing,i will like to add $US200 to your final price for you to keep off from all offer,and consider it sold to me alone as i am serious with this.I will like you to know that i am really interested in buying this for my father,payment will be through PayPal and the pick up will be arranged by me as i will have my agent come down to pick it up...i will be waiting to hear from you,and i will like you to send me the name and email address on the PayPal account to send the payment and send me more pics of this item if available since it will not be seen in person so i can pay it right away I am a busy at work and do not have much time around me.Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked at your residence,so no shipping
    Thanks and reply asap.
    Regards
    My Reply back:
    Nope. You asked the terms and I gave them to you. Cash. You come see it, you pay, you take it home.
    Not to be rude, but I thought I was pretty clear about that. I will hold for 24 hours to keep from all other offers, no charge.
    We can set up a time for your agent to come down with the cash and they can take the machine. If you need more photos, let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to see.
    Will hold for you until 10am EDT Sunday July 27, 2014.
    Let me know what you would like to do.
    Chris
    The Response:
    Thanks for the message ....the reason why PayPal is the only payment option is because it is safe and secure and as soon as i make the payment for it,you will be sent a notification for the payment receipt in this your email ....that is if you use this your email address to set up the paypal account and i have a mover that will come over for the pick up and the pick up representatives only comes up when we have finish the deal so don't worry i will be the one to take care of the pick up expenses ok. i will be glad if you can log on to http://www.paypal.com and set up your account and send me email use to set up and i will suggest you make use of this your email address so when i make the payment you will be notify of the receipt from
    PayPal instantly.
    i look to read from you soon.
    My Reply:
    So you are willing to PayPal as a gift?
    Chris
    Response:
    Yes i can send it as a gift
    so i need your paypal email address to send the funds to you
    I know this HAS to be a scam... but I can't find the angle here. Just doesn't make sense.

No one I mean no one says US200.00. If they quote denomination country scam.

#72 9 years ago

I guess they could claim that it wasn't actually "them" that picked up the machine....

Funny... Buyers claim that PayPal only protects Sellers.... Sellers claim that it only protects Buyers. Why does it seem that PayPal only protects scammers... Oh... and themselves.

Yeah, I guess have to go cash. I really wanted to see how far I could push them though.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

What angle am I missing here? I just can't see how this works out in the scammers favor?

One word:

CHARGEBACK

#74 9 years ago

Is it really worth the risk of getting burned?

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from brent149:

Is it really worth the risk of getting burned?

There is no "risk of", it's going to happen, 100%.

#76 9 years ago

Yeah, I had no belief that this was in any case real. I wanted to see how far I could push it before I got myself into trouble.

My thoughts were that if they never actually came to get the machine -- which I am sure they wouldn't -- then I couldn't possibly be out any money. But If there is a fee for chargeback, I guess I could be. It would make it annoying for me, but I still don't see how this benefits the scammer.

Unless...

They actually DO pick up the machine, then they could report that I sold it to someone else and request the funds back. Then they would have the machine and the returned funds.

Oh, well.... I thought it would be fun to play. But as many have pointed out... this is a game that there really is no way for me to win. So.... Oh well.

#77 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Oh, well.... I thought it would be fun to play. But as many have pointed out... this is a game that there really is no way for me to win. So.... Oh well.

The only fun you can have is to keep requesting they send you checks and claiming that each one got wet or damaged.

Tell them you are about to leave on a 1 month job assignment, so they need to expedite the delivery of the check.

This costs them $$$$ for each overnighted check.

Don't actually deposit the checks, because there is a $30 bounced check fee a month latter.

Sometimes you can get them to send 3 checks before they give up.

#78 9 years ago

I finally sent an email saying they could pay cash or wire it to my bank account. Figure it wouldn't be too tough to set up an account, just for this one thing, then close it afterwards.

Bank Wires are air tight, right?

(I like the check idea though...)

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Nope.

The "bank wire" trick is that they now have your bank address and account number.

They overnight a bad check to your bank branch.

The bank automatically deposits the check in your account.

You check your balance or call the branch and see that the money has been deposited.

You are confident that Bank Wires are airtight, so you send the item.

A month latter the check bounces, you lose the game, the money and a $30 bounce check fee.

#80 9 years ago

Vid... but that isn't a bank wire. That is just an overnighted cashiers check. I mean an actual bank wire transfer.

As for having your bank account number and address.... so what? So does everyone I have ever written a check to in my life. Just having a bank account number doesn't really do you any good.

This started out as a lot of fun and games... but in the end, it is just wasting too much time. It's been fun, not enough to warrant all the time that I spent.

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

I finally sent an email saying they could pay cash or wire it to my bank account. Figure it wouldn't be too tough to set up an account, just for this one thing, then close it afterwards.
    (I like the check idea though...)

What are you doing? You are joking right? Walk away.

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Vid... but that isn't a bank wire. That is just an overnighted cashiers check. I mean an actual bank wire transfer.

The trick is: YOU THINK IT WAS A BANK WIRE.

An overseas bank wire can take 24 hours depending on the time zone.

So when you check your bank balance in the morning, the money is "there".

If you call the bank and ask "Hey, did I get a bank wire overnight?" The bank answers "Sir, we show a deposit of $6000 was made into your account this morning".

The bank never calls you and says "Hey, we just deposited a check in your account !". They always just deposit it, and go along their busy day.

This scam happens 1000s of times every day.

#83 9 years ago

This has gone on long enough don't you think. You asked our advice, we gave it now it's time you ended it and stop messin around. Enough is enough.

#84 9 years ago

Paul... that's kinda harsh.
    I for one kinda have a sick fascination with him toying with the idea of messing with the scammer for a while.
    But yeah; kinda not work the effort these days.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nope.
    The "bank wire" trick is that they now have your bank address and account number.
    They overnight a bad check to your bank branch.
    The bank automatically deposits the check in your account.
    You check your balance or call the branch and see that the money has been deposited.
    You are confident that Bank Wires are airtight, so you send the item.
    A month latter the check bounces, you lose the game, the money and a $30 bounce check fee.

as far as i know, bank wires to banks arent actual checks ?

ive wired money from here (aust) to the US, its in their account pretty much the next day.. cleared.

if you must use a check, totally just wait until it clears.. get confirmation from the bank.. tell the buyer sorry you'll just have to wait. if they arent prepared to. no sale.

#86 9 years ago

Enough is enough. It's a scam. Tell the scammer to fuck off.

#87 9 years ago

I say go for it and see what happens!

fail-free-candy[2].jpgfail-free-candy[2].jpg
    #88 9 years ago

Or just tell him to transfer the money to his agent that will pick it up, and have the agent show up with cash!

#89 9 years ago

End of thread.....

CASH! CASH! CASH! CASH. Or if all else fails..........CASH!!!!!!

#90 9 years ago

Nah, Tell 'em you'll accept bitcoin

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

as far as i know, bank wires to banks arent actual checks ?

It can't be explained to you.

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

This started out as a lot of fun and games... but in the end, it is just wasting too much time. It's been fun, not enough to warrant all the time that I spent.

EXACTLY !! I cant believe you spent so much time on this as well as others. I just sat back and watched all the replies come in but never really read any of them but yours just to see how far and how long you was gonna mess around with a obvious scammer from the get go.
    Someone shut this thread down already and lets move on.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

EXACTLY !! I cant believe you spent so much time on this as well as others. I just sat back and watched all the replies come in but never really read any of them but yours just to see how far and how long you was gonna mess around with a obvious scammer from the get go.
    Someone shut this thread down already and lets move on.
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

Agree. Even if the scammer doesn't successfully complete his scam, the act of engaging them at all may give them insights as to how to craft future scams. Best just to ignore them and move on. Like ignoring a child that has a temper tantrum just to get attention.

#94 9 years ago

Thanks for all of your posts -- those of you who get the fascination of trying to screw with the scammers, and those of you who admonished me for wasting time.

This certainly isn't the place to go about wasting time, now is it?

You may resume your regularly scheduled activities now.

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

I guess they could claim that it wasn't actually "them" that picked up the machine....

You can claim all you want, but when they charge back they do not ask, they do not care, its buyers word. Period.

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Paul... that's kinda harsh.

I know, sorry about that. At least I didn't use any swear words.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Thanks for all of your posts -- those of you who get the fascination of trying to screw with the scammers, and those of you who admonished me for wasting time.
    This certainly isn't the place to go about wasting time, now is it?
    You may resume your regularly scheduled activities now.

Learned a lot by this thread. You went to far when you said you were going to open an account, accept one of their deposits and shut down the bank account after. Most banks charge you if you shut down an account within a certain period of time. You would get a $30 per check return check fee for every bad check (fake wire) they sent you, also. So you would be wasting your money and your time.

The best waste of time is playing pinball!

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from videorob:

End of thread.....
    CASH! CASH! CASH! CASH. Or if all else fails..........CASH!!!!!!

People like to be able to finance their purchase as well. Some folks can't plunk it all up front but would rather pay over time on their cards via PayPal. It hurts those of us who are legit about paying, unfortunately.

#99 9 years ago

I know I said I would leave it alone... but just to give you the final update. The other shoe did drop. I finally got the "catch" email:

Ok thanks,i just want to know more about it to make sure its in good condition so can you assure me i will not be disappointed???And also ,I need to inform you about this,just received an email from my pick agent...am most sure i did not include that in my previous email,They said they won't come for the pick up unless i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time.I am a Chief Engineer as my position on the sea here,I am so busy and can not pay the agent fees from here as they Requested that i pay them with Money Gram.So what i will do here is that i will send the payment in the total amount of $3,500.So once you receive the confirmation of the payment from PayPal,you will deduct the promised amount for the good which is $2,700 and the remaining $800 will be send down to my agent By Money Gram.I have tried to paid it direct here but there is no Money Gram on the ship and am not here with my credit card to do it here online,So i believe you can handle this for me.

Took them awhile, but they finally got around to it. And that, my friends, is the end of this story.

#100 9 years ago

iD1xmkf.gifiD1xmkf.gif

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-scam-paypal-again/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.