5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by videorob
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

my id.jpg
    My PP-2.jpg
    captain_nemo_pinball_backglass_by_rublav-d50odma.jpg
    iD1xmkf.gif
    fail-free-candy[2].jpg
    starwars seems legit.jpg

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

So I have my Who?Dunnit for sale on Craigslist.

I got an email from an individual who wants to make the full asking price, payment in advance, sight unseen via paypal with their "agent" to pick up the machine at a later date. Even offered an extra $200 to hold the machine.

This screams SCAM!

So I asked if they were willing to send the money as a gift using paypal (knowing this would call their bluff and they would refuse), strangely enough, they said that they are okay with that.

It is my understanding that money sent as a gift CANNOT be reversed. Is it possible this is NOT a scam? What am I missing here?

Thanks!
    Chris

#2 5 years ago

The guy would be crazy to wire that much money with no recourse. If he pays, he will come get it. Simple as that. The ball is in your court.

#3 5 years ago

if it was paid for with a credit card they can have the company back charge PayPal which in turn comes back to you gift or not.

#4 5 years ago

That sounds very strange. I'd ask for wire transfer.

#5 5 years ago

Isn't that basically what gift is in terms of recourse? I mean through PayPal anyway.

#6 5 years ago

THIS IS A SCAM. I GET THESE SAME EMAILS WHEN I LIST GAMES.

#7 5 years ago

I wouldn't do it. I'd be too nervous to give them my account e-mail info. That's probably what they're after/phishing for. It's tempting, but you have to think...Who in their right mind would do this? You could get the buyers account e-mail and call PayPal and ask them to verify that it's a legit account and see what they think/say. Sometimes it's just better to be safe than sorry. As the old adage goes...If it's too good to be true, it probably is. GL.

#8 5 years ago

Unless it was cash, you are not safe.
    Any credit card used with PayPal is added protection for buyer no matter what.
    If there is a problem the seller or person receiving money is liable.

#9 5 years ago

I think it's a scam for sure. The "Agent" picking up the game is a dead giveaway. They use that one all the time. Often the email you get from them is auto-generated, where the refer to your "item", or they quote your exact description of the game. Can you post the whole email they sent you? I'm 99.9 % sure it's a scam. Usually the agent picking up the game is associated with an overpayment scam...where they send you a fake check for more than the game value and you send them a real check...nobody ever comes to get the game. This must be a different angle. They might be trying to build your trust by agreeing to the paypal payment and later, they come up with a different plan. Very suspicious at best.

#10 5 years ago

Absolutely a scam. Drop it.

#11 5 years ago

Yeh, who uses the word "agent" in that context. Scam!

#12 5 years ago

What they mean by their "agent" ...
    http://i.imgur.com/3Nh1LXz.jpg

#13 5 years ago

I use PayPal often but sight unseen and all would say to do a wire transfer as mentioned. PayPal is great if you meet the person and all, or keep close contact regarding the whole process without dictating the whole thing before hand. I've used it with a bunch of Pinsider's with no complaints.

#14 5 years ago

Just have them do a wire transfer to a new bank account. Once the money clears withdraw it and close the account.

#15 5 years ago

Take the paypal and give them a fake address for pick up. A few weeks later after you are certain the money is clear, give them the proper address.

#16 5 years ago

Have the agent bring a stack of Benjamins

I wouldn't give them an account number or my paypal address.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Choggard:

Just have them do a wire transfer to a new bank account. Once the money clears withdraw it and close the account.

Take it from Chogs, he knows how to scam. Buyer beware when dealing with him.

#18 5 years ago

Yeah, the whole thing is weird. What is the big deal with giving someone my PayPal email address? It is the same address that we have been emailing back and forth with. I don't know what they would be able to do with an address other than send money.... Below is the exchange that we have had:

Initial Email:
    i am new to this site and whoever is receiving this should let me know if i am on the right path, What was the amount you are willing to exchange this for ?and what are your terms of sales. I will also need a meeting location.I can be easily reach at (removed by LordNorth).
    >
    > Thanks

Response:
    Hello,

Yes, you seem to be on the right path.

The cost of the machine is $2500 cash. No check, no money orders, no wire transfers.

We would meet where the game is located, you can play it for as long as you like and ask any questions that you can think of.

If you decide that you want to take it home, we exchange the cash, and YOU are responsible for getting it out of the basement (there are bilco steps -- I recommend bringing a strong helper and moving hand-dolly) and into your vehicle.

Please let me know if you have further questions or to set up a time to come and see it.

Chris

Reply to my response:
    Thanks for your mail. I'm satisfied with the condition of it as advertised in the listing,i will like to add $US200 to your final price for you to keep off from all offer,and consider it sold to me alone as i am serious with this.I will like you to know that i am really interested in buying this for my father,payment will be through PayPal and the pick up will be arranged by me as i will have my agent come down to pick it up...i will be waiting to hear from you,and i will like you to send me the name and email address on the PayPal account to send the payment and send me more pics of this item if available since it will not be seen in person so i can pay it right away I am a busy at work and do not have much time around me.Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked at your residence,so no shipping

Thanks and reply asap.

Regards

My Reply back:
    Nope. You asked the terms and I gave them to you. Cash. You come see it, you pay, you take it home.

Not to be rude, but I thought I was pretty clear about that. I will hold for 24 hours to keep from all other offers, no charge.

We can set up a time for your agent to come down with the cash and they can take the machine. If you need more photos, let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to see.

Will hold for you until 10am EDT Sunday July 27, 2014.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Chris

The Response:
    Thanks for the message ....the reason why PayPal is the only payment option is because it is safe and secure and as soon as i make the payment for it,you will be sent a notification for the payment receipt in this your email ....that is if you use this your email address to set up the paypal account and i have a mover that will come over for the pick up and the pick up representatives only comes up when we have finish the deal so don't worry i will be the one to take care of the pick up expenses ok. i will be glad if you can log on to www.paypal.com and set up your account and send me email use to set up and i will suggest you make use of this your email address so when i make the payment you will be notify of the receipt from
    PayPal instantly.
    i look to read from you soon.

My Reply:
    So you are willing to PayPal as a gift?

Chris

Response:
    Yes i can send it as a gift
    so i need your paypal email address to send the funds to you

I know this HAS to be a scam... but I can't find the angle here. Just doesn't make sense.

#19 5 years ago

chargeback with CC company. simple. scam.

#20 5 years ago

You should ask him to give you his full name and PP account email so you can email him directly at that email address and see if he responds. Then, call PP and confirm that his PP account is a legit account under his name.

I highly recommend Life-Lock as well.

#21 5 years ago

It's a scam. He will send you an email that looks like it came from PayPal saying you've got money. If you go to PayPal and look there won't actually be any money in the account. I've had this happen to me a few times with eBay transactions. I guess people see the email and send items away to buyers that never actually paid.
    If you think it might be legit just go to PayPal on your own browser and make sure the moneys there. Also don't follow any links send by "PayPal" that want you to login with your password

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

It's a scam. He will send you an email that looks like it came from PayPal saying you've got money. If you go to PayPal and look there won't actually be any money in the account. I've had this happen to me a few times with eBay transactions. I guess people see the email and send items away to buyers that never actually paid.

Wow! Never really though of that. I am always paranoid about these kinda transactions, but I wonder how well this looks. Maybe learning HTML is easier than english

Your scammer is obviously not from the states. He even refers to a "mover" - not his agent. Anyways, I would advise "STAY AWAY"

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Your scammer is obviously not from the states

Yep! You can tell by the method of his writing and his mangled English this is a scam. No serious pin buyer would 'speak' like that. His grammar, syntax, generic wording, all tells me he is a fraud. I would not deal with this character under ANY circumstances!

He says he wants it for his father. OK. That's a good line to use to give some credence. But it also reeks of fabrication to work on your emotions, hoping that little bit of 'personal info' will work on you. If he REALLY wants the pin that bad, he will come and get it.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

If you think it might be legit just go to PayPal on your own browser and make sure the moneys there. Also don't follow any links send by "PayPal" that want you to login with your password

He already did or at least tried....Look at the link for paypal he provided. Should be "HTTPS" not "HTTP"

Looks like he was trying to send you to a fake or unsecured site.

"Agent", "I will like", "Regards".....SCAM!!! Stay away, bottom line, cash talks.

#25 5 years ago

Yepper I agree, Scam written all over it... Run Forest Run! away from this deal. LOL

#26 5 years ago

The buyer probably hacked someone's account. Stay away. If it was legit, the buyer would find another payment method.

#27 5 years ago

Yeh sure looks like a scam. Avoid.

#28 5 years ago

$200 paypal gift to hold it, and the rest COD brought by his agent in large bills. Done deal.

#29 5 years ago

SCAM!!! Stick with your original statement about him coming and playing the game then paying cash. Don't back down on this. He'll put up a stink, "but it's for my father" but just tell him "cash and carry". He won't show up.

#30 5 years ago

I looked for a "unique" phrase in the text and Googled it to see if it showed up elsewhere...

i will like to add $US200 to your final price for you to keep

This guy buys a lot of stuff for his father. Best son ever!

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85821

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?118305-Scam

http://reportcraigslistscams.com/xzclf/1/posts/1_Reported_Craigslist_Scams/1__/13558_Whole_Furniture_Set_w_Chandelier.html

EDIT: This is the classic "overpayment scam", but using Paypal instead of a paper check.

The basics of how it works (if it hasn't already been explained 1,000 times in this thread) is that the scammer offers to buy your item and pay you an additional amount over the asking price. Even though he claims this extra $250 is yours to keep, he'll either find a way to ask you to give this money (or an additional amount of money) to his agent/mover or back to him (via Western Union). More than likely no one will ever show up for your goods, because this guy is in another state (or country even), and he'll just ask you to wire him the "overage". If you do go ahead and send him any money, you'll find out that any money he sent to your Paypal account is now reversed (due to a chargeback or fraudulent charge) and you are out the amount of the "overage" that you wired him.

TLDR: If someone is willing to pay over the asking price, make it (the overage) in cash. Heck, make the entire payment in cash.

#31 5 years ago

Does that work with paypal? Paypal has sided with me a few times as far as claims. The "agent" never comes for the pin. Ive been hit with this also and am a little confused.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Choggard:

Wow

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

It is my understanding that money sent as a gift CANNOT be reversed

That's an old wives tail.

The scammer will call his credit card company and file a chargeback. Paypal will then take the money back from you (or turn it over to a collection agency).

#34 5 years ago

That's a scam 100%. The PayPal link he sent you is a phishing link.

#35 5 years ago

Yeah... I asked for a phone number.

Response was:
    Thanks for the mail..Due to the nature of my work i would love to talk to you but phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email so I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want.please let me know if you accept my offer also am online whenever you sent me message i will know that so do not worry if you want to contact me,

Figured it was a scam from the outset, but figured I would play along for a little while. Just too many red flags. I finally sent the email going back to bring the cash, take the machine, end of story.

Thanks for the insights all!

Chris

#36 5 years ago

I know others have touched on this already, but I wanted to mention, I have received the same offers for stuff I have sold on craigslist.
    Normally they won't even mention what the product is your selling by saying something like "your item".
    Personally I think they are just gathering email addresses. If they messed with PayPal, they could get arrested if here in the US. Other countries are harder to track down.
    I like to play with these people and keep them going in circles. Ask them stuff like would you like me to pack a tuna fish in the package since you included extra money? Total crap that doesn't make sense. They will stick to their script.
    I think most of this scam crap is coming from Africa. Chris Hanson did a report on it once and tracked down the original emailer. Couldn't get him arrested because it was another country.

#37 5 years ago

Agree with everything, let him send you a fake PayPal email with an overpayment for the agent to pick it up. Tell him you will give the agent the cash with the pickup and give him your local police precinct address to pick it up from.

#38 5 years ago

tell him the games now free, and your agent wants to deliver it and set it up for his dieing father-

#39 5 years ago

It seems when I list machines over $2000 I always get responses from people that can not form a coherent sentence or they want to you to respond to a different email address. If you do respond it seems like you get a ton of spam.

#40 5 years ago

If you cannot locate the sucker in the first 20 minutes then you are the sucker

#41 5 years ago

Open a PayPal account.
    Have him send the money there.
    If it clears have PayPal send you a check.
    Receive check, cash it.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Open a PayPal account.
    Have him send the money there.
    If it clears have PayPal send you a check.
    Receive check, cash it.

Of course what would happen is 60 days latter he would file the chargeback and Paypal would turn you over to the collection agency.

#43 5 years ago

Go with your gut. Scam. I tried to sell a car on CL for over 10k. What a pain. I got all kinds of crazy requests for payments. The best were the ones who wanted to send me a check and ship it overseas to Nigeria. I didn't have time to wait for an honest buyer so I ultimately traded it in. Trust your gut. If they really want the game, the "agent" can bring cash the day of the transaction.

#44 5 years ago

"Advert" = scam.

#45 5 years ago

starwars seems legit.jpg

#46 5 years ago

I just don't understand because at no point do these scammers ever even attempt to pick up the merch. Its not like the machine would ever leave your home.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from joekiss:

I just don't understand because at no point do these scammers ever even attempt to pick up the merch. Its not like the machine would ever leave your home.

The item you're selling doesn't matter as long as it's over a certain amount (so they can add a "reasonable" overpayment).

The reason it has to be over a certain amount, is that it's much easier for the fake buyer to accidentally give you an extra $500 on a $5,000 item, than it would be to give you an extra $500 on a $20 item.

(Hint: They never care or pick up about the $5,000 item, they're only after $500 of YOUR money.)

In this second-hand car scam, criminals target sellers, not buyers. A punter responds to your ad but seems strangely uninterested in viewing or more details. He just wants to pay the full amount – but only via PayPal. He will then arrange to collect the car. Once you’ve given your PayPal details, you’re notified that you’ve been overpaid for your car. You’re then asked to return the difference via some other online payment method. As you do that, the original PayPal transaction is reversed. You lose the money you’ve ‘returned’.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/15-car-selling-scams-every-car-buyer-should-know-about?page=3

#48 5 years ago

Just want to ask another PayPal question. I am trying to sell a few machines for friends of mine. Someone has contacted me through pinside who is not a brand new pinsider but fairly new, saying he'd take the machines but would have to have NAVL pick them up. Nothing smells scammy to me, except that I have only shipped to people that I can definitely confirm are credible. I'm assuming he's going to pay through PayPal. I'm just worried because I'm selling these for friends of mine, so things could get very dicey if I get a chargeback on my PayPal account after NAVL picks up the machines. Is there a better way to have him send payment? What's the best way to handle this?

Thanks,
    Derek

#49 5 years ago

Does the US not have regular bank money transfers?

In New Zealand when we buy/sell on the used market we pay — for free and immediately — via internet banking directly from our bank account into the seller's bank account. No need for anything like PayPal. The seller provides their bank account number the the funds are credited to it.

I can only assume that you do have this service but the fees and clearance times are prohibitive? (Why else would a service like PayPal that charges fees be the preferable method).

#50 5 years ago

I recently bought a machine that I had to have shipped to me, what the seller requested was that I mail him a check and after he could verify that it had cleared he contacted me. At that point I set up the shipping, it took a little more time but the seller had a good reputation and everything worked out fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Haus
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 11.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Z
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 16.00
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside