(Topic ID: 209199)

Is this a scam by the buyer? - Buyer Paid!

By PinballBulbs

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

name (resized).png
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 years ago

Not buying it.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Not buying it.

So are you doing a chargeback?

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I've seen some break ups result in truly messed up behavior, vindictive and specific. While it sounds fishy, I have seen weirder things from people that I didn't think were capable of being that devious.
Also, did it not occur to anyone doubting the LED angle that he's been telling his (ex) significant other that these LEDs TOTALLY raise the value of the machine 1200%? I mean, if you are going to sell the machine for a profit to spite your SO, that's a smart move. Right?

nah, the guy's story is transparent BS.

blaming it on a woman is messed up, too. does anyone actually believe an aggrieved significant other would be like:

"oooh i'll get him good ... let me find his credit card ... now go online to that pinball mods store ... oooh nice LED kit ... checkout ..."

* waits a week for package to arrive *

"muahaha now to install this LED kit, thereby marginally raising the price of his game, so i can vindictively sell it off!"

it conform to neither human nature nor logic.

now try this scenario out ... guy buys some pinball mods. guy thinks to himself, "hmmm if i do a chargeback, i bet the credit card company just eats that cost. everybody wins! i'm a genius!" guy makes chargeback. guy gets called out by small business owner on the other end of the chargeback. guy sheepishly makes up transparent lie to save some face.

...occam's razor...

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

So are you doing a chargeback?

Only when my wife gets pissed at me and buys LED's and installs them on my games.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Only when my wife gets pissed at me and buys LED's and installs them on my games.

The short version of the story makes it sound even crazier.

#106 6 years ago

If she was REALLY mad she would have bought a new playfield and did a complete of swap before she sold the pin.

She just bought LED’s so it couldn’t have been that bad of a fight.

#107 6 years ago

Yeah, I'm with everyone else on this. No way is that story legit. It's pathetic he was just going to try to make the credit card company cover it when he knew what he was doing was wrong. Regardless of all that, now he knows you were on the hook for the LEDs, so his "plan" failed and he should pay up. If it were me and it was $400 plus, I wouldn't let that lie. He admitted he was trying to commit credit card fraud. I would forward that information on if I wasn't paid.

#108 6 years ago

FWIW, I 100% don't believe his story either. It sounded so ridiculous when I read his email. He did at the end offer to do something to make up for with nothing specific mentioned. He did make sure to tell us how he was screwed in this case as well and doesn't have the product since his wife put it in the pin she sold. However, I don't have any proof so I just said I was sorry he was in that position and declined for him to make up anything. That's also why my post just mentioned his story, not what I really wanted to say....

Since everyone seems on the same page I'm happy to out this guy, but want Robin to chime in first so no pinside rules are violated.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

I'm happy to out this guy

It's the right thing to do. We need to know who to avoid in this hobby.

#110 6 years ago

Anyone else fixated on the aspect of having a wife that could successfully re-lamp their games with LEDs?

#111 6 years ago

Yeah... lets count the number of wives in the entire community that would do upgrades to a game before selling stuff from under you....

Total BS

#112 6 years ago

I'm happy to out this guy

Not only is he newly-single and ready to mingle, but prospective right-swipers know that he's got at least one unmaxed credit card.

Help him out and get his name out there.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I have a spin on this. Maybe the purchase was from the wife’s credit card and the couple is on the outs and she did the charge back.

I think the guy read my reply above and changed it up a bit

#114 6 years ago

FWIW, I 100% don't believe his story either. It sounded so ridiculous when I read his email. He did at the end offer to do something to make up for with nothing specific mentioned. He did make sure to tell us how he was screwed in this case as well and doesn't have the product since his wife put it in the pin she sold. However, I don't have any proof so I just said I was sorry he was in that position and declined for him to make up anything. That's also why my post just mentioned his story, not what I really wanted to say....
Since everyone seems on the same page I'm happy to out this guy, but want Robin to chime in first so no pinside rules are violated.

Can we start guessing names? I want to know who was creative, yet stupid enough to believe that someone would buy this story.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

nah, the guy's story is transparent BS.

Dammit, what does a guy gotta do to set up a joke around here? I was laughing at the idea of someone wanting to set up the machine with all the doodads the pin fanatic has convinced them is just a sure fire investment in order to squeeze out another penny from a quick sale, only to find out that the whole "This will add $X to the value of the machine" wasn't exactly the whole truth.

Yeah, it's most likely a scam. I've seen some real dick moves from divorces, but this would be a long shot.

#116 6 years ago

Resolved?

#117 6 years ago

Can you forward the emails from the husband about the wife's LED upgrade rage to the credit card company so they can revisit this?

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Can you forward the emails from the husband about the wife's LED upgrade rage to the credit card company so they can revisit this?

yeah, the funny thing is that even in his made-up version of events, he's still guilty of credit card fraud!

Dude should seriously consider walking the straight and narrow, because he SUCKS at hustling.

#119 6 years ago

Can you at least give us the wife's name? I'm sure there are a lot of single pinheads that would love to met a single lady that not only knows what LEDS to order but also knows how to install them.
Just asking for a friend.

#120 6 years ago

Based on all the replies of you good people I did request he pay the initial order amount since it does seem that he admitted it arrived at the address and was used, but by his wife or whatever. We shall see what happens going forward.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

In the slightest chance that this story is true, why wouldn’t he do the honorable thing and pay for the items that were installed in his pin?
Whether he ordered on his cc, or someone else did, he admitted items were received and installed
and not paid for (aka stolen)

EXACTLY!

#122 6 years ago

Is anyone else trying to figure out how to get their wife to order pinball parts for you and install them to?

Or is it just me? Heck I would still be paying for them...

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

Is anyone else trying to figure out how to get their wife to order pinball parts for you and install them to?

No, and I try not to think about someone elses wife doing the dirty work for me.

2 weeks later
#124 6 years ago

So, with the fantastic help from robin , he has paid in full for the items that were sent and received!

Big thanks to Robin who actually made this all happen and was able to get replies. Cheers to pinside for a cool resolution!

Sending in a pinside donation from this payment!

#125 6 years ago

Great! Glad it all worked out for you.

#126 6 years ago

Did you have tracking # on the shipment?

Did it actually arrive at his/her house? If so, then there is your answer; there is no way if my CC was stolen, and I had packages arrive, that I wouldn't ship them back to whatever merchant it was...Seems shady on the buyers part for sure.

#127 6 years ago

So glad it worked out! He definitely owed you the money, and was a db for trying to pull what he did.

#128 6 years ago

Alright! I'm super happy that this matter got resolved!

#129 6 years ago

So, with the fantastic help from robin , he has paid in full for the items that were sent and received!
Big thanks to Robin who actually made this all happen and was able to get replies. Cheers to pinside for a cool resolution!
Sending in a pinside donation from this payment!

can you share with us why he paid even though he had an outlandish story? did he back pedal on the story?

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

can you share with us why he paid even though he had an outlandish story? did he back pedal on the story?

I'm guessing surprise reconciliation with the wife after her new career elaborately modifying stolen goods (with stolen mods) before selling them failed to pay off.

All's well that ends well?

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Robin messaged him since he was unresponsive to us and mentioned he would get outed on this thread etc. I didn't see any of those messages, but I guess he eventually decided his rep was worth more than $292. The only reply from him we got was ensuring we wouldn't out him if he paid and I of course agreed since we just wanted paid for product he got.

#132 6 years ago

Sounds like he should have been outed. Hope no other vendors get put thru this too.

#133 6 years ago

but I guess he eventually decided his rep was worth more than $292.

I thought is was over $400?????

We had a buyer place a good sized order(a bit over $400)

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

I thought is was over $400?????

The $400 was the money spent on the order and the products combined. We were out payment and the products. Sorry for making it confusing at the beginning. I suppose technically we were only out the product. Anyways, only re-invoiced him for what was chargedback to the penny.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.95
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-scam-by-the-buyer/page/3?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.