(Topic ID: 209199)

Is this a scam by the buyer? - Buyer Paid!

By PinballBulbs

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

name (resized).png
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago

There's perhaps another scenario that's not been considered.

You say you are suspicious because two previous orders were purchased with the same CC and sent to the same address. Suppose the first two orders were fraudulent too, bought on a stolen CC, and the real owner of the CC is just now realizing it and missed the first two orders. That would all fit. 3rd time, the scammer got caught. I know I'm not as diligent as I should be reviewing my monthly CC statement. Although, I would probably not overlook a $400 purchase.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Wow, that's quite some time then. I thought you might say a couple of weeks ago. That's way too long to still be waiting for some kind of communication from this person. Sorry to hear about this.

No, sorry. I'll clarify.

- The order was 11/17/2017, delivered couple days after placed.

- The claim opened 12/27/2017 - funds were taken and held. We provided tracking information and all other order information to show it was shipped to the billing address and delivered etc.

- 1/15/2018 we were given the funds back while the continued to wait for a buyer's reply since they had not replied yet.

- 2/4/2018 We got notice buyer's financial institution sided with buyer and funds removed again and $20 fee charged

- 2/4/2018 I directly emailed buyer to ask if he had anymore information on this and if he did have the product and maybe it was a mistake.

So, it's not even been 2 full days for him to reply. I'm not rushing to out him or anything yet. Hope that helps clear up the timeline!

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

There's perhaps another scenario that's not been considered.
You say you are suspicious because two previous orders were purchased with the same CC and sent to the same address. Suppose the first two orders were fraudulent too, bought on a stolen CC, and the real owner of the CC is just now realizing it and missed the first two orders. That would all fit. 3rd time, the scammer got caught. I know I'm not as diligent as I should be reviewing my monthly CC statement. Although, I would probably not overlook a $400 purchase.

Definitely possible. His first order was end of 2013, 2nd order was end of 2015 and third order was end of 2017. I'd think that's a huge gap for someone to have stolen your card and made 3 separate purchases for LEDs and shipped to your house?

#54 6 years ago

Timeline dates are off. 2/4/2018 is what I believe you meant, when you emailed him.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Great, you found one example. It is just the cost of doing business today, and businesses need to expect to cover this as part of their end-cost to consumer. You and I are the ones that end up paying for it and a small business should make sure their % profit covers this scenario occurring. It will only increase over the years.

Where's there's one, there's more. Don't be so sure of yourself that it can't be done.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

It is just the cost of doing business today, and businesses need to expect to cover this as part of their end-cost to consumer. You and I are the ones that end up paying for it and a small business should make sure their % profit covers this scenario occurring.

So that's the answer!

The OP should start charging his honest customers more to make up for what he loses in scams like these.

Well done sir!

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So that's the answer!
The OP should start charging his honest customers more to make up for what he loses in scams like these.
Well done sir!

Why wouldn't the OP do what every other business does?

He's not running a charity.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Why wouldn't the OP do what every other business does?
He's not running a charity.

Well if he had, he probably wouldn't have started this thread and it would just be business as usual. Lesson learned.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

PBResource also takes checks from people they trust. But they won't take credit cards and bars customers that they don't feel comfortable dealing with.

I don’t deal with PBResource because of their practices. I have in the past, but not anymore. I just don’t buy gottlieb machines because I know there’s more work involved for me to get parts. If they can’t provide an enjoyable purchasing experience, then they don’t deserve my money.

#60 6 years ago

I live in Kansas and go to Texas 4-5 times a year. I gas up at the same places. Fairly predictable. And if I am going somewhere new I will call my CC company and advise them they will be seeing charges from new places.

In December, I was at me destination in Texas and my phone rang. It is my CC company asking if I made any charges in Colorado. I said no. There were two charges in Denver to my CC for gas. We are not talking $20-$30 for gas. There were two separate charges for just over $1000.00 each !

Of course, the CC company said I would not be charged. I do not know about the "poor" company that accepted the CC.

My CC was canceled. OK. How am I going to get home? I need gas. I had to set up a special password and call the CC company when I needed to stop for gas. The card would be "turned on" for 10-15 minutes so I could gas up. This procedure lasted until my new CC came in the mail.

I have not been to Colorado for 25 years. I only thing I can think of is that I got a "F" you from the Equifax date breach that gave up all the the information for 150 million of us.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

If they can’t provide an enjoyable purchasing experience, then they don’t deserve my money.

On the contrary I find dealing with PBResource a most enjoyable buying experience. One on one customer service, a very knowledgable staff, quality parts, a 10% discount for orders over $100 (may have something to do with not taking credit cards or paypal), fast delivery, and most of all they trust me the consumer because I pay my bills.

But each person has his own idea what makes an enjoyable purchasing experience.

#62 6 years ago

I don’t deal with PBResource because of their practices. I have in the past, but not anymore. I just don’t buy gottlieb machines because I know there’s more work involved for me to get parts. If they can’t provide an enjoyable purchasing experience, then they don’t deserve my money.

I don't get it, man. I call Steve, tell him I have some part numbers for items I need and tell him that are other items I don't have pat numbers for. I place my order and my parts usually arrive in 3-4 days. As soon as the package arrives I verify inventory. Then I sit down and write the check and make sure it is in the mail by the next day. He ships fast. I pay fast. We both like it that way.

Twice I was shorted, called Steve about the shortage and the missing parts arrived 2-3 days later.

#63 6 years ago

Dealt with PBR many times and have never had any issues what-so-ever. Every single time whatever person I am talking to has been extremely nice to me and it went super smooth; and spoilers, I don't like people.
I'm not as old as o-din (is anyone? HEY-O) and I'd rather just do everything online but it isn't really a hassle at all.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

So, we are out $400 and all the product shipped.

It might take some of the emotional trauma out of it, if you consider that you're actually out $400 or all the product shipped, you're not at an ~$800 loss.

#65 6 years ago

I deal with PBR a lot. Just have your customer number ready so they don't have to look you up. Quality parts delivered quickly for a good price. Never had a problem.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Twice I was shorted, called Steve about the shortage and the missing parts arrived 2-3 days later.

Have they ever over shipped a product?

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm not as old as o-din (is anyone? HEY-O)

I tell ya!

Back in the day we used to have to saddle up our horses and ride 100 miles thru the snow to get our pinball parts. And those vendors only took gold in payment!

#69 6 years ago

I process about 50 credit card purchases a day (four times that during the holidays) and rarely get more than a dozen charge backs over the span of a year. When I'm notified of a dispute, I use the phone, not email, to contact the customer directly. Once you remind them of the product and the date it was delivered, they almost always admit their mistake and make it right. Most of the time, they just don't associate the name of your business with the product they bought and mistakenly thought the charge was fraudulent. In my experience, an order going to the billing address is never due to a stolen credit card.

#70 6 years ago

No, sorry. I'll clarify.
- The order was 11/17/2017, delivered couple days after placed.
- The claim opened 12/27/2017 - funds were taken and held. We provided tracking information and all other order information to show it was shipped to the billing address and delivered etc.
- 1/15/2018 we were given the funds back while the continued to wait for a buyer's reply since they had not replied yet.
- 1/4/2018 We got notice buyer's financial institution sided with buyer and funds removed again and $20 fee charged
- 1/4/2018 I directly emailed buyer to ask if he had anymore information on this and if he did have the product and maybe it was a mistake.
So, it's not even been 2 full days for him to reply. I'm not rushing to out him or anything yet. Hope that helps clear up the timeline!

Regardless of what else has happened, even *if* you got the money or the product back: a ton of your time has also been stolen to deal with this.

This is a really crummy situation. Sorry.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I tell ya!
Back in the day we used to have to saddle up our horses and ride 100 miles thru the snow to get our pinball parts. And those vendors only took gold in payment!

You’ll be arguing for a return to the barter system by the time this thread resolves. How many LED flashers for a bushel of radishes?

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You can't trust anybody, not even relatives.
Money Order is a safe, clean method of payment, and once it's cashed, it's a done deal.

The mistake was using a credit card to pay for food at McDonalds. The more you flash that plastic around, the more it is bound to be compromised. Cash is still king for small in person purchases.

And credit card companies will refund any fraudulent purchases. How many thiefs do you know who will return stolen cash?
Cash is a last resort.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Have they ever over shipped a product?

No.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

Most of the time, they just don't associate the name of your business with the product they bought and mistakenly thought the charge was fraudulent. In my experience, an order going to the billing address is never due to a stolen credit card.

Well, plus 1 for that. Half the time I can't figure out what the company I bought something is. I buy something from X-Y-Z in New York and the charging name is BF Egypt located in Georgia. and I am scratching my head trying what I bought from who and from where.

#75 6 years ago

I have a spin on this. Maybe the purchase was from the wife’s credit card and the couple is on the outs and she did the charge back.

#76 6 years ago

Funny how that works.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My CC was canceled. OK. How am I going to get home? I need gas.

Pay cash. Use your back-up credit card. Have your traveling companion pay for gas. Having only one method to pay for anything leaves you vulnerable if that method has a snafu. Having a back-up plan can turn a major pita into a minor inconvenience.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Timeline dates are off. 2/4/2018 is what I believe you meant, when you emailed him.

Doh, yup! Corrected. Thanks

Quoted from o-din:

Well if he had, he probably wouldn't have started this thread and it would just be business as usual. Lesson learned.

Meh, just venting a bit here in the thread and was good to get some feedback I never considered from Pinside folks. No lesson to be learned or changes to be made currently imo. We need to have some level of trust to run a business. It would be a problem that needed addressing if this was constantly happening. It's not, once is still frustrating is all. Mostly it's been helpful to see if I was missing something obvious here, and like some said, they've had this happen to them by mistake and got it resolved.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I live in Kansas and go to Texas 4-5 times a year. I gas up at the same places. Fairly predictable. And if I am going somewhere new I will call my CC company and advise them they will be seeing charges from new places.
In December, I was at me destination in Texas and my phone rang. It is my CC company asking if I made any charges in Colorado. I said no. There were two charges in Denver to my CC for gas. We are not talking $20-$30 for gas. There were two separate charges for just over $1000.00 each !
Of course, the CC company said I would not be charged. I do not know about the "poor" company that accepted the CC.
My CC was canceled. OK. How am I going to get home? I need gas. I had to set up a special password and call the CC company when I needed to stop for gas. The card would be "turned on" for 10-15 minutes so I could gas up. This procedure lasted until my new CC came in the mail.
I have not been to Colorado for 25 years. I only thing I can think of is that I got a "F" you from the Equifax date breach that gave up all the the information for 150 million of us.

I don't see how that would have leaked your credit card number.

#80 6 years ago

So, CC gets stolen...
#1 How does the person who stole the card even know that the owner of said card shopped at PinballBulbs?
#2 So, a person steals the card, goes to pinball bulbs (of all the places to go to), spends time looking at all kinds of different things, adds $400 worth of items to the cart and then goes through the whole checkout process just for a prank? C'mon.
#3 If this wasn't a scam, why doesn't the person who received the order simply contact Pinball Bulbs and say..."Hey, I apologize for the confusion, but my card info was stolen and an order was placed with you that I just received. I didn't make this purchase so I called my card co. and reported the situation to them. They're going to contact you, issue me a refund and I'm going to get this order shipped back to you. Sorry for this mess and the subsequent aggravation it's caused you."
IMHO, If #3 didn't happen, it's a total scam. For this person to get their money back AND keep the items is total garbage! No way a person who has made past orders with a reputable company wouldn't call them up, explain things to them and get that order shipped back to the company unless they wanted to scam them.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You’ll be arguing for a return to the barter system by the time this thread resolves. How many LED flashers for a bushel of radishes?

I hope you know how highly I value that bushel of radishes.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

So, CC gets stolen...
#3 If this wasn't a scam, why doesn't the person who received the order simply contact Pinball Bulbs and say..."Hey, I apologize for the confusion, but my card info was stolen and an order was placed with you that I just received. I didn't make this purchase so I called my card co. and reported the situation to them. They're going to contact you, issue me a refund and I'm going to get this order shipped back to you. Sorry for this mess and the subsequent aggravation it's caused you."
IMHO, If #3 didn't happen, it's a total scam. For this person to get their money back AND keep the items is total garbage! No way a person who has made past orders with a reputable company wouldn't call them up, explain things to them and get that order shipped back to the company unless they wanted to scam them.

In the USA if you get merchandise you haven't ordered you can generally keep it. That doesn't mean you can or should always keep it, mistakes happen.
Alternate scenario: Bulbz-R-Us needs to up their sales. Bulbz repeats a prior shipment to a previous customer, charges their CC. Customer emails, "wtf Bulbz, I didn't order this." Email is routed to spam folder, Bulbz never sees it. Customer never gets a response to the unread email, initiates a chargeback. Customer thinks they are 100% right, Bulbz thinks they should get their stuff back.

Real life example: I ordered a DVD from a seller in Amazon's marketplace. Seller shipped the wrong DVD. I contacted them and was told return it at my expense, when we get it back we'll credit your account and send the right one. My response was you'll send the item I ordered and a postage paid envelope for the item I didn't order and confirm this has been done within 24 hours or I'll get my refund from Amazon and you can go pound sand. They shipped the correct item that day and emailed saying I could keep the wrong one.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Pay cash. Use your back-up credit card. Have your traveling companion pay for gas. Having only one method to pay for anything leaves you vulnerable if that method has a snafu. Having a back-up plan can turn a major pita into a minor inconvenience.

I have a back up card. And I always carry cash. But that would not sound so dramatic.

Quoted from Syco54645:

I don't see how that would have leaked your credit card number.

Beats me, man. I don't know how anyone in Colorado wound up with my CC info. I use this card for Amazon, Pinball Life, Marco, Home Depot, Lowes, Kroger, Walmart, O'reilly's, Autozone, If I use it at a restaurant, it never leaves my sight. In the last 12 months I have bought gas in Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. Motels in Ohio, Arkansas, and New Mexico.

It could be anyone of these places. It could be Equifax. Or maybe not. But Equifax gets off hook by saying, "We're so sorry". So why not finger Equifax for a little bit?

And this is the 2nd card in two years that has been compromised. but the first time was for $50 or $60. Not two $1,000.00 whacks--on the same day.

#84 6 years ago

We need a name. Give us a name.

name (resized).pngname (resized).png

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

We need a name. Give us a name.

Herbert.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a back up card. And I always carry cash. But that would not sound so dramatic.

Beats me, man. I don't know how anyone in Colorado wound up with my CC info. I use this card for Amazon, Pinball Life, Marco, Home Depot, Lowes, Kroger, Walmart, O'reilly's, Autozone, If I use it at a restaurant, it never leaves my sight. In the last 12 months I have bought gas in Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. Motels in Ohio, Arkansas, and New Mexico.
It could be anyone of these places. It could be Equifax. Or maybe not. But Equifax gets off hook by saying, "We're so sorry". So why not finger Equifax for a little bit?
And this is the 2nd card in two years that has been compromised. but the first time was for $50 or $60. Not two $1,000.00 whacks--on the same day.

Well equifax didnt leak credit card numbers afaik, just ssn and other info like that. Home Depot has leaked credit card numbers numerous times. Could have been leaked years ago and just finally sold.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Agreed, I had my credit card stolen last month and they charged back McDonald’s food I ate, they just took the whole two week time period and wiped it clean, despite that I told them which charges were true and false.

Maybe because the bigger crime was you eating at McDonald's.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Real life example: I ordered a DVD from a seller in Amazon's marketplace. Seller shipped the wrong DVD. I contacted them and was told return it at my expense, when we get it back we'll credit your account and send the right one. My response was you'll send the item I ordered and a postage paid envelope for the item I didn't order and confirm this has been done within 24 hours or I'll get my refund from Amazon and you can go pound sand. They shipped the correct item that day and emailed saying I could keep the wrong one.

On a side note, it must blow to be a seller on Amazon.

I can't imagine how many buyers abuse their over the top consumer centric policies to the detriment of the sellers.

#89 6 years ago

I setup my monthly recurring charges on one card and use my main card for day-to-day charges. I call my cc company and request a new main card about ever 6 months just to be safe. I also setup alert emails for ALL charges and monitor.

1 week later
#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Maybe because the bigger crime was you eating at McDonald's.

Haha I don’t think McDonalds coffee is causing me any harm and that’s all I get there

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Haha I don’t think McDonalds coffee is causing me any harm and that’s all I get there

I don't know, there was that grandmother with the scalding coffee lawsuit ...

(I do the same with McDick's black iced coffee, $1.50 cheaper than Starkbucks for the large and I kind of like that watery taste on a hot summer day).

#92 6 years ago

Follow up:

Robin helped ping the buyer. He ended up emailing us back.

He said he had issues with his significant other and finally just got control of his email account back last few days. The significant other I guess also stole his credit/debt cards, had the game specific LED kit and mods sent to his house, and installed on games so they could sell the pins. All while he was moved out of the house at the time I believe. So, I guess not a true scam by the original buyer per se, but he did file the chargeback claims himself he said and assumed the bank would write it off and not get it back from the vendors.

I'm chalking this one up as a loss, as was the plan originally, was just open for some feedback on how others interpreted this case.

#93 6 years ago

He said he had issues with his significant other

Ah. another case of balls in a vise. Well that explains everything.

#94 6 years ago

Sounds far fetched, though I guess anything is possible. Did he file criminal charges against the ex? And did he explain the situation to his credit card company? I don’t see how they’re looking to you, the merchant, to cover in a situation like this.

#95 6 years ago

I don't buy it. Gotta be the first time in history that a person breaks up with someone and to get back at them, doesn't just spitefully get rid of the games, but rather places a stolen CC order and takes all that time to install all new bulbs in the games to then sell them. Kudos to Robin for getting hold of the guy.

#96 6 years ago

Yeah, why not go on Amazon with the dude's card and max it out by buying a bunch of jewelry to hock? Why waste money and time on a pinball mod that doesn't even really add value to a game sale?

Sounds fishy to me...

#97 6 years ago

Ya I call bs on this one.

#98 6 years ago

Bizzare story from cc owner.. but who knows, bizarre things happen in this world.

#99 6 years ago

I've seen some break ups result in truly messed up behavior, vindictive and specific. While it sounds fishy, I have seen weirder things from people that I didn't think were capable of being that devious.
Also, did it not occur to anyone doubting the LED angle that he's been telling his (ex) significant other that these LEDs TOTALLY raise the value of the machine 1200%? I mean, if you are going to sell the machine for a profit to spite your SO, that's a smart move. Right?

#100 6 years ago

In the slightest chance that this story is true, why wouldn’t he do the honorable thing and pay for the items that were installed in his pin?

Whether he ordered on his cc, or someone else did, he admitted items were received and installed
and not paid for (aka stolen)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 12.95
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-scam-by-the-buyer/page/2?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.