Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tp
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

z9T3Hg.gif
    IMG_0066 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out if this is a scam. Because it does not make any sense. Without divulging too much information for the protection of everyone involved I had a deal in place to buy a pinball machine. Not one that was extremely rare, it was listed and sold for less than $10,000 in all of the sales history on pinside.

After the seller marked it as “sale pending”someone messaged the seller and immediately offered $25,000 for the machine. Obviously the seller accepted. The seller regrettably told me that he accepted the offer. That buyer sent him $25,000 through PayPal friends and family.

This makes zero sense. Hopefully someone can help shed some light on how it would be possible for the buyer to get his money back even after he receives the machine. Because I can’t imagine someone paying over $15,000 more than any previous sale. Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

I don't think it's entirely impossible. I know someone that paid $12K more then the last time the game was sold, so I could see it happening I guess.

John

#3 3 years ago

Could it be legit? Sure. Could it also be a scam? Sure. Without more details, that's difficult to say with certainty.

Right now, it's a seller's market. People have been paying some crazy prices for certain titles, lately.

It might also be some wealthy individual who just wants it and wants it now, and cost is no object, and $25k is pocket change to them.

#4 3 years ago

Bizarre.

#5 3 years ago

If the person wanted it so bad why not post in the “club” of this machine and offer $5000+ more than the previous sale? If they offered $15,000 I’m sure they would have people lined up wanting to sell.

#6 3 years ago

I feel like I should list some of my machines for sale with dumb prices on them.

#7 3 years ago

I'd leave negative feedback for the person if its someone on here. I'd like to know if a seller I'm about to deal with reneges on deals.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from brickbuilder14:

If the person wanted it so bad why not post in the “club” of this machine and offer $5000+ more than the previous sale? If they offered $15,000 I’m sure they would have people lined up wanting to sell.

So this is a title that normally sells for 10k?

I’m guessing Addams or something. Yeah if someone pays 25k I call bullshit

#9 3 years ago

From the thread title I thought I was gonna get paid $25,000 for answering the question.

Color me disappointed

#10 3 years ago

Nope. A newer game made within the last five years that’s not Pirates or GNR.

The seller was really nice about it. He even offered to send me a few hundred dollars because he felt bad. But I told him I’m not taking it because I’m sure he’s going to be out the 25k and the pinball machine. I don’t see how it’s at all possible.

I even just called a dealer and they said when they get that game in they would sell it for less than $10k

#11 3 years ago

I miss the 90's pinball wise.Strange times indeed nowadays.

#12 3 years ago

The seller was really nice about it. He even offered to send me a few hundred dollars because he felt bad. But I told him I’m not taking it because I’m sure he’s going to be out the 25k and the pinball machine. I don’t see how it’s at all possible.
    I even just called a dealer and they said when they get that game in they would sell it for less than $10k

I’m guessing Medieval Madness Royal Edition.

#13 3 years ago

It could be legit lots of people out there with plenty of money to throw around. There is also plenty of people that jump on trends or the the next hot item to flip without doing research. Can you reverse a friends and family payment, as a buyer I don't think you have any protection so it seems crazy to pay that way. This whole thing would ring alarm bells for me.

#14 3 years ago

My guess would be EHOH.

#15 3 years ago

Maybe the guy changed his mind about selling and made up the 25k story so you couldn’t really be mad that he backed out of the sale.

#16 3 years ago

Not Elvira or MM. haha I hope he did make it up. Because I honestly feel bad for him. Was a really nice guy. But I don’t think he made it up because he was willing to send me money

#17 3 years ago
    IMG_0066 (resized).jpegIMG_0066 (resized).jpeg
    #18 3 years ago

Yup. Vid covered this topic in his "how not to get ripped off" thread. Thoughts and prayers for the seller.

link here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#19 3 years ago

It's a scam, and the guy is going to get ripped. They don't even want the game.

No sense even thinking about it.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's a scam, and the guy is going to get ripped. They don't even want the game.
    No sense even thinking about it.

What do you mean they don’t even want the game? He’s shipping the game out in a few days.

#21 3 years ago

I NEVER use paypal as a seller and I NEVER use F&F unless it’s with a FRIEND or FAMILY. PayPal is just too easy to be scammed on.

#22 3 years ago

The best thing you could possibly do IMO is to send Vid's explanation of this scam to the seller. That way the "guilt" is off your conscience feeling that he's going to get scammed.

#23 3 years ago

If the question is “is this a scam?”

The answer is always “yes.”

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

The best thing you could possibly do IMO is sent Vid's explanation of this scam to the seller. That way the "guilt" is off your conscience feeling that he's going to get scammed.

Yep, I did exactly that. Sent a screenshot to him. He feels confident BECAUSE it's Friends and Family.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I feel like I should list some of my machines for sale with dumb prices on them.

no crap. a stock MET pro just sold for almost $6k. I just bought a loaded premium for $500 more than that. Take a few picks of each of my machines and double pinside average and see what happens.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

no crap. a stock MET pro just sold for almost $6k. I just bought a loaded premium for $500 more than that. Take a few picks of each of my machines and double pinside average and see what happens.

3 weeks later woody be like...

z9T3Hg.gifz9T3Hg.gif
    #28 3 years ago

He feels confident BECAUSE it's Friends and Family

Total scam. Buh bye monies. Buh bye game.

#29 3 years ago

If a buyer ever offers you $15K above your asking price then tell him to get his butt on a plane and fly down to pay you cash, and that you will deduct the travel expense from the purchase price.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

If a buyer ever offers you $15K above your asking price then tell him to get his butt on a plane and fly down to pay you cash, and that you will deduct the travel expense from the purchase price.

Haha that is easily the best solution.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

$15K above your asking price

Like who the fuck pays $15k more than asking price when $1k or $2k does the job?

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Like who the fuck pays $15k more than asking price when $1k or $2k does the job?

Nobody. I look forward to the thread of him crying like a baby that he got scammed and looking for advice on what to do.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Nobody. I look forward to the thread of him crying like a baby that he got scammed and looking for advice on what to do.

No, I’m hoping that he realizes it’s a scam before it’s too late. I really really really don’t want him to lose any money. At this point the money is in his account. So it’s not “over” yet

#34 3 years ago

No, I’m hoping that he realizes it’s a scam before it’s too late. I really really really don’t want him to lose any money. At this point the money is in his account. So it’s not “over” yet

I hate to see it also. But after all the warnings and advice that they choose to ignore, it’s hard to feel sorry for them.

#35 3 years ago

Here’s a question.
    How does one send PayPal friends and family for an amount over $10,000 without the payment getting flagged and hung up because it exceeds the 10k federal cash reporting requirement?

I’ve only done this once, at CAX 4 years ago for two pins. The amount was over 10k and it took a full week for the funds to clear. These were funds coming directly out of my bank account. I called PayPal and they said this was standard on any transaction that exceeded $10,000.

#36 3 years ago

Watch out that he's not trying to bump you up a bit. Is he a seller you are familiar with or has good feedback here?

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Here’s a question.
    How does one send PayPal friends and family for an amount over $10,000 without the payment getting flagged and hung up because it exceeds the 10k federal cash reporting requirement?
    I’ve only done this once, at CAX 4 years ago for two pins. The amount was over 10k and it took a full week for the funds to clear. These were funds coming directly out of my bank account. I called PayPal and they said this was standard on any transaction that exceeded $10,000.

That only applies to a transaction coming out of your bank account involving a cash transfer. The same rule does not apply if it's charged to a credit card.

#38 3 years ago

was his name Benjamin Dover?

#39 3 years ago

Yep, I did exactly that. Sent a screenshot to him. He feels confident BECAUSE it's Friends and Family.

It's not foolproof. There are ways to reverse it.

#40 3 years ago

transactions for high value items exchanged for cash only transpire as intended if they make sense. so yes, it's 100% a scam.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Funny i’ve been thinking the same thing. I’m happy with what i own and don’t want to sell anything. But i thought of creating a thread that says “look at my collection. If you want to pay me an absurd amount of money for something then go ahead and make me a ridiculous offer”

I didn’t knowing i’d be lowballed... lol

#42 3 years ago

I guess I’m a skeptic but I don’t understand why you just believe what this seller is telling you about another buyer paying $25k. How do you know he really got another offer? Or how do you know it wasn’t really $2,000 more than you agreed and he is just saying $25,000 so you will understand why he reneged. If it is true he is just trying to keep you from outing him here. Just my thoughts. Of course if there is another buyer I naturally think the F & F offer is a scam too.

#43 3 years ago

maybe i should email the seller and offer him 40k to refund the other guy and sell to me? lol

#44 3 years ago

Sounds like a friends and family intervention at this point.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

My guess would be EHOH.

That’s some funny shit because I’m so old and naive that I was looking at new pins recently and thought : “that EHOH is a fun pin, I would definitely be in when it pops up used for $6500”.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

That’s some funny shit because I’m so old and naive that I was looking at new pins recently and thought : “that EHOH is a fun pin, I would definitely be in when it pops up used for $6500”.

It IS a very fun pin. I almost regret selling mine. But it will be YEARS, if ever, before they get down to that price. I picked mine up for a steal for $7k, when EHOH's were at their low point. Right before they were sold out everywhere, right before the really big code updates, and right before everyone realized what a great, loaded, fun game it was.

#47 3 years ago

I can't believe he paid $25,000 for a Dialed In.

(Insert crying laughing emoji)

#48 3 years ago

Watch the scam isn't involved with the seller wanting to give you cash via paypal somehow.
    That sounds strange to me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-scam-25000?hl=jake35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.