You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8088 (resized).JPG
IMG_8087 (resized).JPG
IMG_8086 (resized).JPG
IMG_8085 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimMe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago

AC and DC coils are different, and not just because of the back-EMF diode. For a given application, a DC coil will have more windings of smaller diameter magnet wire, and will have a higher resistance, than its AC counterpart. That's because, at the same voltage, you get a stronger magnetic force from DC than from AC.

When you take a coil originally designed to be a strong-kicking coil on AC, and drive that same coil with DC, the power of the coil will be much greater. So when converting coils in an old EM game to DC, it's good to keep this in mind if there are plastic parts that will get broken when the ball hits them with the extra force.

- TimMe

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

See, I would say that they're just coils . . . considering that there aren't any structural or material changes to the plastics, etc on playfields between EM and SS versions of the same game, I really don't think it's something to be worrying about that much.

OK, so there were no changes to the stuff on the PF. But they did put different coils on the SS versions of those early games, right? That was exactly my point.

- TimMe

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I checked my SS Hot Tip a while ago and (iirc) it had the same stroke windings as the EM schematics say.

Fair enough. There did seem to be some trial-and-error going on during the industry transition to SS. I was repairing games out on location while that was happening in the late 1970s, and I can attest that it didn't always go smoothly.

- TimMe

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimMe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-hack-or-a-legit-solution?tu=TimMe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.