(Topic ID: 244044)

is this a hack or a fix? (Bally rectifier board)

By oilspot

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Phesson
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BF5420A5-3043-49EB-80C3-D2F01E425024 (resized).jpeg
20190529_123018 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I"m currently chasing a low voltage issue affecting the solenoid expander board and ran across this anomaly. I desoldering and removed br1 and I'm about to do away with this extra rectifier and bridge across the cut trace. But it this some fix for a common flaw I don't know about? Should it be left in place? Or is this the cause of my low voltage issue?

20190529_123018 (resized).jpg20190529_123018 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

That's a mod to reduce power to the feature lamps. There was a discussion about it 6-8 months ago. I can't quite remember the reason for the mod but it reduces the feature lamp voltage so might have been implemented to extend the life of the lamps/connectors or something.

Measure the feature lamp voltage and decide if your game needs it.

#3 4 years ago

I'm getting 3.8vdc to feature lamps, insufficient to run the solenoid expander board relay. Outhole kicker and upper target reset too weak with buzzing relay. So if I clip the bridge rectifier out and bridge the cut trace.... And replace br1, I should be good?

#4 4 years ago

I wonder if this rectifier board came out of a different machine e without a SEB and worked with this mod, and was swapped into this machine by someone unaware of the problem?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from oilspot:

I'm getting 3.8vdc to feature lamps, insufficient to run the solenoid expander board relay. Outhole kicker and upper target reset too weak with buzzing relay. So if I clip the bridge rectifier out and bridge the cut trace.... And replace br1, I should be good?

Is BR1 faulty?
What AC voltage were you reading going into BR1?

I had a rectifier board recently that had this top side mod done exactly the same as yours. There was also a trace cut on the bottom of my board going to BR1 - check yours, it should be obvious. I restored the rectifier board back to original.

#6 4 years ago

To answer the question to your thread title.....it is my opinion that a fix can be defined as something that actually causes the machine to work fully where as a hack only gets the machine to work partially but fully excepts money. That's how I see it.

So if your machine accepts a quarter but a flipper is only partially working then you got a hack. If your game accepts a quarter and plays great you're dealing with a solid fix.

#7 4 years ago

Definitely a hack. My definition of a hack is a repair that gets the machine to work but is not of manufacturer standards.
A hack can be a fix but the reverse is not always true.

#8 4 years ago

Well, I undid the extra rectifier and restored the connection across the cut trace and I have 7.2 volts now with no load. Nice bright feature lights and the solenoid expander board is working fine. Now on to figuring out some other weird stuff that's going on.

3 months later
#9 4 years ago

I just opened a Vector the first time and found the same situation. Thanks for the thread. I now know what I’m looking at.

BF5420A5-3043-49EB-80C3-D2F01E425024 (resized).jpegBF5420A5-3043-49EB-80C3-D2F01E425024 (resized).jpeg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

I just opened a Vector the first time and found the same situation. Thanks for the thread. I now know what I’m looking at.[quoted image]

i think this is a different hack then the other one the original post showed. The OP picture shows an extra bridge installed to get the voltage drop across the diodes in the bridge to lower the feature lamp voltage. This one is remotely mounting a bridge rectifier probably because they had a lug terminal bridge instead of wire.

These bally games with the transformer in the cabinet can send pretty high voltage to the lamps, often over 7v which reduces the life of the lamps. It seems like there was a distributor that did that "mod" to every game as there is lots of boards out there with the same mod as the original poster.

#11 4 years ago

The above looks like a hack to get the game up and running in leau of being able to find the correct replacement bridge. You should be able to obtain a suitable replacement bridge and replace the hack. I heard Pinball Resource sells them.

#12 4 years ago

Back in the day, many operators were complaining about the switched illumination bulbs (555) burning out very quickly on 8 Ball Deluxe, Vector, and Mr & Mrs Pacman pinball machines. Bally either sent out a service bulletin or told distributors to perform this mod (I don't remember which because it was so long ago). We had several machines with this mod already installed. Some power transformers were outputting too high of voltage for the switched illumination circuit.

What it is, you cut the DC output trace from the switched illumination bridge rectifier. Then insert into the circuit in series another 25 amp or 35 amp bridge rectifier with the wires connected to the AC input terminals of the new bridge rectifier. This makes the new rectifier act like a giant high wattage resistor. This drops the output voltage of the original switched illumination bridge rectifier by about a volt.

Of course this assumes you have already configured the AC power input jumper plug to the power transformer to 120 or 125 volts from the factory setting of 115 volts.

#13 4 years ago

This is where I purchased my 25amp Bridge Rectifier - Amazon $5.36 (Not including shipping)

NTE Electronics NTE5322 Full Wave Single Phase Bridge Rectifier with Quick Connect Leads, 25 Amps, 200V Maximum Recurrent Peak Reverse Voltage

Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

I just opened a Vector the first time and found the same situation. Thanks for the thread. I now know what I’m looking at.[quoted image]

your hack is different. That is just someone who didn't want to have to take apart the sandwich board and decided to just piggyback a BR on the one that's already there. Problem is, is that the original BR is probably still there and a direct short would bypass the wire one. Unless they got in there and cut it off.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Back in the day, many operators were complaining about the switched illumination bulbs (555) burning out very quickly on 8 Ball Deluxe, Vector, and Mr & Mrs Pacman pinball machines. Bally either sent out a service bulletin or told distributors to perform this mod (I don't remember which because it was so long ago). We had several machines with this mod already installed. Some power transformers were outputting too high of voltage for the switched illumination circuit.

That makes this a factory-approved hack.

#16 4 years ago

Thank you all for the information. I’m two years into the hobby and these forums have been a great help for my multitude of questions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-hack-or-a-fix-bally-rectifier-board?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.