Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4551.JPG
    IMG_4557.JPG
    IMG_4561.JPG
    IMG_4553.JPG
    #1 13 years ago

Would this trade be worth it? A nice Jurassic Park + $1000 for a decent Creature from the Black Lagoon?

#2 13 years ago

I would say that is fair. If you look the two machines up on http://www.mindformation.com/cgi-bin/ebaypins.pl and look at the average minus the min and max, Creature from the Black Lagoon is literally $1,000 higher than Jurassic Park. Plus, it's great game for great game, so no worries.

#3 13 years ago

Sounds like a fair trade as long as the CFTBL doesn't have any major issues.

#4 13 years ago

Sounds like a good deal to me.

#5 13 years ago

I would go for it, sounds fair.

#6 13 years ago

I have only played CFTBL a couple of times. So the real question is, do you guys like Creature that much more than JP?

#7 13 years ago

I am not the biggest fan of CFTBL, it looks absolutely beautiful and the sound is fun no question about that. However, no matter how many times I play CFTBL I can't seem to like how it plays. Maybe its the flow I don't know what it is to be honest. However, like most have mentioned CFTBL will be a lot easier to trade for another good pin in the future and is worth more than JP so that is something to think about for sure.

You are the best one to answer this question, if your tiring of the JP and liked the CFTBL when you played it then maybe you should. But if you did not care too much for the CFTBL and still enjoy playing the JP maybe not. Trades are a tough call sometimes.

#8 13 years ago

I've spent a fair amount of time on both those machines. If they were put side by side in similar condition, I think you would find CFTBL would get more use. I also feel like if you were going to trade again ($value aside), most of the people I personally know who have games would be much more interested in CFTBL rather than JP.

Or, for my tastes and experiences... I live in a town where there are 7 pins on location within a 40 mile radius that I know of. One of those games is a JP in fairly decent shape. I wish is was something else because I don't go play it

TDA does bring up a valid point about flow. It is a choppy, patience game to a certian extent. But if you like that sort of thing...

#9 13 years ago

I would trade JP and $1K for Creech any day of the week. If the hologram works, you'll have no problem getting top dollar for the Creech if you decide it's not your cup of tea.

I see JP going for around $1,200 and Creech going for about $2,500. I think it's a good trade.

#10 13 years ago

Deal!!! Data East sucks! Poorly built. Constatly fixing.
    Williams/Bally = Quality
    Do it.

#11 13 years ago

There has been a resurgence of Data East pins in this forum, I think you would be surprised about how many of us own them.

Wesperron, didn't you just sell a Data East pin?

#12 13 years ago

You are the best one to answer this question

I agree with TDA it all depends on what you are looking for. If your looking for monetary trade value, or game play value, only you can decide.

On another note, I don't buy Data East sucks. I went to the MGC this weekend with my Data East machine, and it was one of the few that had no probs. It was played non stop all weekend. I personally like DE machines, but to each their own.

#13 13 years ago

Just a side note, but I have had far less problems with my DE JP than virtually any of my Bally/Willaims. And, for what it is worth, I have a friend that is a professional technician (30+ years in the field) and he does the work I cannot. As such, my machines end up being well maintained and, still, I generally have less issues with my DE.

#14 13 years ago

Sounds like a fair deal, just as long as everything works. And Data East have always seemed to be pretty solid machines. I love their flippers. The ones I've played, few they may be, were always just powerhouses.

#15 13 years ago

I would jump on that.....CFBL is great!

#16 13 years ago

Yes I did sell a Last Action hero. It played great. One of the best flowing pins I've ever played actually but the constant fixing got to me. I also have a White Water that I'm shopping out now and it was built before LAH but was built better. Maybe it was just the machine I had. I do have a bad taste in my mouth from Date East. Mostly from the electronics.

Oh, one more thing about CFTBL...make sure the hologram works!! Very expensive and difficult part to find.

#17 13 years ago

"Oh, one more thing about CFTBL...make sure the hologram works!! Very expensive and difficult part to find."

Hear, hear! There is a nice CftBL I am looking at on my end but, of course, the hologram is having issues... Grr...

I am sorry to hear that you had issues with your DE, wesperron. Perhaps it was indeed the unit you had. For me, my Addams jas given me the most electronic headaches but, interestingly, once the issues were more-or-less ironed out it has become one of my favorite machines.

#18 13 years ago

Its a fair deal value-wise. From a gameplay perspective, I think you're getting the short end of the stick. Creature looks cool but there isn't that much to do. JP has better rules I think.

#19 13 years ago

definitely trade for the Creature. even with issues, it's worth twice as much as the JP and are in demand.

#20 13 years ago

With a heavy heart, I have said goodbye to Jurassic Park. I did the trade and I'm not sure I got the better end of the trade. The creature needs a lot of work and I traded a JP that was in excellent shape. My brother helped me deliver the JP and return the creature to my house and he kept reminding me that I love the restoration as much as playing. I just wish I would have noticed all the issues before committing to the trade.

#21 13 years ago

Good luck, hope everything goes well for you. Post some pics when you get it up to your standards!!!

#22 13 years ago

I can definitely understand how you feel, but what can you do? Lesson learned, I think we all have been there. Now at the very least you have a very cool machine that you get to bring back to where it should be.

#23 13 years ago

I just wish I would have noticed all the issues before committing to the trade ...

I wouldn't let it get you down. We've all certainly made deals in this hobby that left us second guessing ourselves afterward. When you finally get the machine all fixed up and shiny, it will be that much more gratifying. Hopefully nothing too expensive needs to be replaced. Did the seller deceive you, or was it simply the case of your excitement getting the better of you?

#24 13 years ago

I now realize that I have a very different eye for problems with a machine than someone else would. I think that trades are not as good as buying and selling because I do a lot more restoration and maintenance than the average Joe. I will post some pics later today. I am thinking that at some point $200 will fix all the issues that are bugging me.

It's funny though, the problems don't seem nearly as big today as they did while I was setting it up.

#25 13 years ago

When your a fixer like myself....I try to buy cheap fix and restore and sell for a profit.

In this trade you got a machine with more potential.

I think you made a good deal CFTBL is a better machine and after you fix it up it will be worth more than JP could ever be. Unless you got big issues. I'm assuming it's minor repairs.

Good luck.

#26 13 years ago

Thank you for all the responses. I am glad that I did the trade. I really like the gameplay and love the overall look of the game. The new DMD is on the way and the translite has been made less awful.

IMG_4553.JPGIMG_4553.JPG IMG_4561.JPGIMG_4561.JPG

#27 13 years ago

And these.

IMG_4557.JPGIMG_4557.JPG IMG_4551.JPGIMG_4551.JPG

#28 13 years ago

Congrats!

#29 13 years ago

I've never played one but I hope to someday. Enjoy it.

#30 13 years ago

Is that machine as much of a pain to shop out as it looks like?

#31 13 years ago

Gweempose, I am thinking that it is going to be a real PITA to shop out. I haven't done it yet because that plasitc under the main ramp is broken, and it is on the way with the DMD. But I printed out some new cards, gave it a quick cleaning, did a half ass job on the translite. Currently it has the DMD from the DW.

It is a really hard game with a solid rule sheet. It reminds me of Taxi, but on steroids. Does anyone know the sequence to start the video mode? I got it once, I'm not sure exactly what I did to start it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-good-trade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.