Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by cards25
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I had an offer a few days ago that I have been thinking about and I'm not sure if I would regret it or not. I really like the alien theme but I haven't played the game enough to really know if I will like it as much as The Shadow. The pin is in 9/10 shape all the way around as is mine. What do you guys think? Plus its an easy local trade which is nice.

#2 10 years ago

i would probably keep Shadow, although this trade is really personal preference.

#3 10 years ago

Fair trade

#4 10 years ago

Anybody played both these titles a lot?

#5 10 years ago

Yep, owned both, like shadow a bit more. RFM is very funny and enjoyable. Shadow is a better game but I liked RFM a lot as well. I'd personally consider it a very close call with a slight edge to RFM. Pricewise they are both pretty close in value.

#6 10 years ago

I have had both for many years. The shadow is a good game, but I think it's a bit shallow compared to RFM. The shots on TS are a bit more varied though compared to RFM. RFM's rules are deeper and the game just has "more to do." A nice RFM flows really well and it feels good to hit the ramps. If you are tired of TS I think it's a fair trade and that you will enjoy a RFM for a long while.

#7 10 years ago

If you like long ball times and long games... go for RFM... if not.. keep shadow. Mine isnt going anywhere soon.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the comments so far!

#9 10 years ago

Price wise it sounds about fair. I haven't had any real time on either of those pins though, so I couldn't tell ya which one is better.

#10 10 years ago

I've owned and played both alot, and would never want an RFM again..I've repeated that 100 times on Pinside, so I won't get into reasons again haha

I would keep Shadow...end thread..

#11 10 years ago

NO!

#12 10 years ago

YES, and World Cup Soccer is better than both combined...that better?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

YES, and World Cup Soccer is better than both combined...that better?

I don't know. Never played TS. I like RFM a lot. Very fun, different, wide appeal to all kinds of different company (kids, adults, etc). I think WCS and RFM are pretty equal in my book. Different but both fun.

...thread not ended

#14 10 years ago

Ya RFM is great for kids and noobs to pinball..that I will agree...it also has a great diagnostics system and I love how easily the whole playfield pops out....

But to actually play it, day in and day out at home...no thx...maybe if I had 50 pins, it could come back...but that ain't happening haha

World Cup is 100x the game RFM is...love that game, I also used to own it as well...would get another one in a heartbeat...it's better than Shadow IMO as well...but close

#15 10 years ago

I think RFM is the better of the two games. Also, kids seem to like it more, if you have any.

#16 10 years ago

Awesome, this is helping! Thanks

#17 10 years ago

I have owned both and they are quite different to play and to look at - both are good games. The Pin2K system has a curiosity factor as well.

I still have my Shadow. RFM is long gone. The novelty factor wore off for me.

#18 10 years ago

Not sure what you should keep. Personally, I prefer Shadow over RFM.

#19 10 years ago

I like both but shadow over rfm. RFM tend to get old quick. It is linear and easy.

#20 10 years ago

Terrible trade. I'd keep Shadow forever.

#21 10 years ago

I think Shadow is a much better pin from a rules and challenge perspective. RFM has a similar layout to AFM but seems smaller because the video reflection covers up the top half of the playfield. RFM has lots of modes but the video integration is the draw. It's fun but got old for me.

I would choose Shadow over RFM.

Value is probably in the same ballpark depending on condition. RFM may go for a bit more.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from lukex:

I have owned both and they are quite different to play and to look at - both are good games. The Pin2K system has a curiosity factor as well.

I still have my Shadow. RFM is long gone. The novelty factor wore off for me.

RFM is way too easy to play.

Got rid of RFM after about a month.

Shadow is here to stay.

#23 10 years ago

Money is close depends on condition but shadow>RFM IMHO.

#24 10 years ago

Shadow is a long term keeper, RFM left my collection with no regrets.

#25 10 years ago

keep shadow.

#26 10 years ago

Hey,

Just my two cents, but I would hang onto The Shadow.

First, I'll come out and say I'm biased. I have The Shadow; picked it up about two years ago, and really enjoy it. Around the time I bought it, the going rate was somewhere below the $2,000 mark. At the time, everyone ripped on it for the translite, and it seems no one actually played the thing.

Since that time, the price has started heading north. Right now, if I could find a nicer one, I'd consider getting it. I saw one with a clear coated playfield selling for $3,500 a while back, and while I didn't seriously consider it, it says to me that a game that was relatively recently a second-tier title might now command a higher price.

I have no problems with Return From Mars, but I think in regard to the trade, you just happen to be looking at the point in time where the asking price on The Shadow has moved up to the asking price on RFM, which has also moved, but not as rapidly. So, today, people see them as about equal. Based upon price movement and the big love-in on The Shadow as of late, I'm of the opinion The Shadow is going to wind up at a price point that's higher than RFM. In other words, if you decide you want The Shadow back in a year, you're going to have to give the guy some money along with the RFM.

Luke

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from lukerp:

Hey,
Just my two cents, but I would hang onto The Shadow.
First, I'll come out and say I'm biased. I have The Shadow; picked it up about two years ago, and really enjoy it. Around the time I bought it, the going rate was somewhere below the $2,000 mark. At the time, everyone ripped on it for the translite, and it seems no one actually played the thing.
Since that time, the price has started heading north. Right now, if I could find a nicer one, I'd consider getting it. I saw one with a clear coated playfield selling for $3,500 a while back, and while I didn't seriously consider it, it says to me that a game that was relatively recently a second-tier title might now command a higher price.
I have no problems with Return From Mars, but I think in regard to the trade, you just happen to be looking at the point in time where the asking price on The Shadow has moved up to the asking price on RFM, which has also moved, but not as rapidly. So, today, people see them as about equal. Based upon price movement and the big love-in on The Shadow as of late, I'm of the opinion The Shadow is going to wind up at a price point that's higher than RFM. In other words, if you decide you want The Shadow back in a year, you're going to have to give the guy some money along with the RFM.
Luke

Yeah I could def see that happening. Think I will just buy one straight out instead. Played my Shadow last night for a bit and it really is an amazing pin. I have been to addicted to BSD and Lotr to give shadow any mind lately. Anyone selling an RFM or know anyone?

Thanks for all the posts. It's appreciated.

#28 10 years ago

Shadow is better and both are better than WCS.

#29 10 years ago

sold my shadow and just saw pics from the guy who bought it. He completely redid it inside and out and my stomach hurts now. Jealous....
Shadow is a game that you can have a very long relationship with.

#30 10 years ago

I always like the fact that shadow was tough enough to appreciate getting to and/or beating the final battle. but also not being easy to get there. very tough game to master.

#31 10 years ago

I've owned both. Shadow >>>> RFM in my opinion.

#32 10 years ago

RFM is my most fun game ever.,so sweet, shadow is nice, but gotta go RFM and get the SW1 kit to switch out!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from lukex:

Pin2K system has a curiosity factor as well.

I think this is why many people get RFM and SWEP1. To be honest, I've come close to buying RFM a few times simply because I'm curious to examine the system haha.

Shadow is a rare speed demon with depth. It's a top 15 machine in my opinion and a solid classic. RFM, while ok, was an early attempt at a new system (a good one) where it just seems like you're making the same shots over and over.

#34 10 years ago

I have a RFM/SWEP1 combo, and I'd have to think really hard about trading for a Shadow at this point in my collecting.

Having said that, If I only had a couple of machines, this wouldn't be as hard of a decision. For pure pinball, The Shadow is a better machine with little doubt.

But, there is something really fun to me about the mix of pin and video, and I think it's integrated really well (in RFM, anyway).

#35 10 years ago

I have both and feel that the Shadow is a better game. BUT! There is something about Pin2k, and Revenge From Mars especially, that makes it fun and really makes you wishful for "what could have been". Here we are 14 years later and nothing comes close innovation-wise; kinda sad really.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

There is something about Pin2k, and Revenge From Mars especially, that makes it fun and really makes you wishful for "what could have been". Here we are 14 years later and nothing comes close innovation-wise; kinda sad really.

I Agree. RFM is allot of fun....... oh the possibilities.

QSS

#37 10 years ago

Don't do it. Shadow is way better. You'll regret it if you do.

#38 10 years ago

it all just depends on the situation. i just sold my shadow and am considering a rfm to replace it. in a small collection, sometimes games just get a little stale. i think shadow is a truly amazing game, but i had my fun with it and it was time for it to be enjoyed by someone else.

it boils down to if you plan on building a bigger collection, then i would never sell it. but in my revolving door, its time for something else. if i end up buying a rfm and i dont like it, i will sell it and get something else.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-good-deal-shadow-for-rfm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.