(Topic ID: 222329)

Is this a decent desoldering gun for board repair?

By twinmice

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from chucktee:

Not cheap (around $250-300 USD) but worth every penny.

I wavered on it for a fair amount of time before finally pulling the trigger on the hakko FR-300 (the FR-301 is now available, which has a few improvements over the FR-300). I use it all the time now. It makes desoldering quick and easy.

I've been satisfied with it.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I admit tho, having the right tools does make a diff (coming from a guy that has Harbor Freight stuff out in the garage).

I usually work my way up from cheap junky tools to nicer & more expensive tools if I find myself using the junky one enough. Although, sometimes it's an unnecessary struggle with the cheaper stuff.

After a while, you kind of get a sense of what kinds of tools it's worthwhile to spend a little money on, usually based on the quality of the tool and how frequently it might get used.

For instance, until last week, I didn't own a circular saw. I made do with either hand saws or a jig saw. I was just cutting 2x4's so I didn't need anything fancy, so I picked something up a smaller circular saw for about $40. I wasn't going to spend $150 on a fancy 12" battery powered circular saw. I probably won't get a whole lot of use out of the one I bought, but it sure made things a lot faster and easier with the project I'm working on.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-decent-desoldering-gun-for-board-repair?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.