Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Meph
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

As you can tell from some of my other post I'm looking to learn to work on my own playfields and do some minor touch-ups. As such I figured it would be best to get an airbrush and see if I'm any good at it. Since I'm a newbee and not postive I want to get that far into this I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ but I also don't want junk. Started looking and I see these things for $20-$500.

I found this one below. Has a small compressor, gun, seperator and some cleaning accessories. Would this be a good first a good one to try? Has good reviews but I know that's not always accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrushing-Performance-Multi-Purpose-Dual-Action-Airbrush/dp/B001TO578Q

#2 12 years ago

I'm fairly new at airbrushing but have finished one playfield restoration using an airbrush. I too, read quite a bit from many places. Lots of good information and advice. Some people will say the one you selected is garbage and you should buy much better, higher quality. Ultimately, you'll need to decide which is better suited for your specific needs. Are you planning on using this new tool rarely or quite a bit? Will this be used on pins you'll keep or ones you intend to sell?

Here's a link to the one I bought. I chose this one after reading Cliffy's restoration of his Jumping Jack machine. He was also kind enough to take the time to answer a few questions about airbrushing. I am extremely happy with my purchase. I am also thankful that I have now been exposed to another facet of restoring pinball machines.

http://tinyurl.com/7clbpwo

#3 12 years ago

It's a Chines knock off of a Iwata Eclipse, and not a very good one either. That air compressor is a diaphram type with no storage tank, there for will pulse causing painting problems. Your better off getting the Harbor Freight version and a pancake air compressor. That way when you need parts you can get them.

#4 12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. It's going to be used fairly rarely to touch up pins I get. Not planning on making a business out of anything so it's mainly for personal use pins.

#5 12 years ago

I just found a nice setup in CL cheap. Check there. And yea, if you ever want to clear coat something that compressor won't do it. If you get the pancake compressor when your ready to try clearcoating all you have to do is pick up a detail gun and your ready to go.

#7 12 years ago

I actually already have a nice compressor in my garage and a gravity feed gun. I use it to clear my RC boats. Never tried an airbrush but figured it wouldn't be bad to try for detail work. Never thought about just hooking a brush up to my garage compressor but if the pancake ones will work it should to.

Thanks for the idea jrrdw and the pin family!

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I actually already have a nice compressor

All you need is a regulator, 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, hose, airbrush, paint and your set! Oh and practice...

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

85vett said:I actually already have a nice compressor
    All you need is a regulator, 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, hose, airbrush, paint and your set! Oh and practice...

don't forget the forty dollar dual cartridge respirator, you are putting tiny toxic microparticles in the air that you probably don't wanna breathe...

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyFliprFingrs:

don't forget the forty dollar dual cartridge respirator, you are putting tiny toxic microparticles in the air that you probably don't wanna breathe...

Have a full resperator already. Got it when I started painting my RC boats with automotive paint. I want to be around to walk my daughter down the isle some day (she's 2 now) so I gotta be safe. Thanks for the reminder though

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyFliprFingrs:

don't forget the forty dollar dual cartridge respirator

Nice catch! +1

Quoted from 85vett:

Have a full resperator already

I have a 3M 3800 series full face and a 3M half mask. Every time I take them off I'm surprised how dirty the air is we normally breath and don't even realize it.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

I have a 3M 3800 series full face and a 3M half mask. Every time I take them off I'm surprised how dirty the air is we normally breath and don't even realize it.

True, very true. I have a 3M 7500 series half-face respirator and the air always smells different after I take it off.

#13 12 years ago

85vette, I can't recommend the Azteck 470 or 1000 highly enough. I've used lots of airbrushes in my day, Badgers, Paasche, all I can say from experience is the Aztech is just freakin' amazing and so so easy to change colors and clean. These are double action too which makes feathering and super fine lines much easier. Single action brushes shoot paint the instant you press the trigger. With double action you can get air going first and slowly or quickly feed in paint. Good luck!

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

85vette, I can't recommend the Azteck 470 or 1000 highly enough. I've used lots of airbrushes in my day, Badgers, Paasche, all I can say from experience is the Aztech is just freakin' amazing and so so easy to change colors and clean. These are double action too which makes feathering and super fine lines much easier. Single action brushes shoot paint the instant you press the trigger. With double action you can get air going first and slowly or quickly feed in paint. Good luck!

Do you recommend the sets with the compressor like listed above or do you prefer a pancake compressor and is there a benefit to either other than the pancake can be used for a lot of other things?

#15 12 years ago

Most airbrush compressors use a diaphragm instead of a piston and that causes a pulse as the diaphragm moves up and down. That makes it hard to do any fine lines where you need steady air so the paint flows evenly. A airbrush compressor that has a storage tank helps this problem but does not eliminate it all together. There are piston type airbrush compressors but the cost is ridiculous.

A home/shop type compressor is recommended because of the wide verity of uses like others mentioned above. The cost/value of a home/shop air compressor far out ways what a good airbrush compressor cost.

When looking at a home/shop type compressor consider your surroundings, is noise going to be a issue? If not you can save some money by buying a 'direct drive' compressor where the pumps are connected to the motor and are really noisy.

A 'in-direct drive' where the pump is not hooked to the motor is much quieter but cost more and more maintenance is needed. If you're going to be in the same room with the air compressor I recommend a in-direct drive all the way if not the noise and vibration will get on your nerves and affect your work.

#16 12 years ago

I currently have one of these:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915310000P?prdNo=14&blockNo=14&blockType=G14

I don't know that I would want to do too much work with that motor going too often. How much pressure do you need for airbrushing and do the guns have regulators? Can you fill a tank like mine and then run off the stored air or will you need to maintain pressure? I'm not against buying another compressor if there is something that is quieter and would work better for airbrushing.

#17 12 years ago

Meph - I think that will depend on how much you plan to do. Minor touch-ups I would assume would work OK. Just have to watch the presure and maybe have to allow it to build between sections. If you're doing large areas then it probally would be to small. I haven't done this yet but just going off what I'm seeing.

Cliffy - Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check in on them. I like the idea of controlling the air and paint flow seperatly at the gun too.

#18 12 years ago

That compressor will work fine for airbrushing, it's noisy but will give you plenty of air for painting.

Quoted from Meph:

How much pressure do you need for airbrushing

Anywhere from 20 to 40PSI. Depending on the paint your using.

Quoted from Meph:

do the guns have regulators?

No, you will need to get a regulator and filter/drier/moister trap. I have approx 110 PSI into my regulator/filter and approx 40/45 out to the airbrush. When you start spraying air from the brush you will get a pressure drop of around 10 PSI at the regulator so I'm really spraying approx 30/35 PSI.

Here is the style regulator/filter I use: ebay.com link: Airbrush Air Compressor Regulator Water Trap Filter

You need a moister filter and keep you tank drained. Compressed air builds condensation and will ruin a partly finished paint job if it gets through your airbrush...

Quoted from Meph:

will you need to maintain pressure

Yes to keep steady flow.

Quoted from 85vett:

I like the idea of controlling the air and paint flow separately at the gun too.

Double action is the only way to go!

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Minor touch-ups I would assume would work OK. Just have to watch the presure and maybe have to allow it to build between sections. If you're doing large areas then it probally would be to small.

I'm thinking you might have it a little backwards there. Those tanks listed in those kits are usually 1/5 or 1/6 hp compressors and some have tanks, others are on demand. Going with a tank like mine or a pancake you have a much larger storage. I might be wrong but I assume it would be better for large areas than those compressors in the kids.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

Do you recommend the sets with the compressor like listed above or do you prefer a pancake compressor and is there a benefit to either other than the pancake can be used for a lot of other things?

I use (and prefer) a tank compressor. I use a Rigid dual tank compressor. Don't let people scare you about diaphragm vs piston, oil vs oiless. Get a decent oil/water separator and regulator as you'll have to have those no matter what type of compressor you use. I wouldn't use a little baby tankless compressor as that's all it would be good for. Plus kicking on everytime you pull the trigger would be beyond annoying in short order

#21 12 years ago

Any brand of gun that you can specifically recommend?

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

Any brand of gun that you can specifically recommend?

quoted from my original post above-
    I can't recommend the Aztek A470 or 1000 highly enough. I've used lots of airbrushes in my day, Badgers, Paasche, all I can say from experience is the Aztek is just freakin' amazing and so so easy to change colors and clean. These are double action too which makes feathering and super fine lines much easier. Single action brushes shoot paint the instant you press the trigger. With double action you can get air going first and slowly or quickly feed in paint.

#23 12 years ago

Cool, thanks for all the info.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-decent-airbrush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.