(Topic ID: 15173)

Is this a cracked solder joint?

By johnkinkokomo

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnkinkokomo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Working on a fish tales. The sound has an issue. Start a ball and all is fine. Whenever a solenoid fires (like the fish topper) it makes the sound "stick" in that spot. When the ball drains and it is time for ball 2, the sound starts normal again.

Here's what I have done. New ribbon cables, new roms including sound. Where should I go next? Should I take the sound board out and inspect it for cracks in the solder joints, and if so is there a particular area of the board to be looking at?

Is the sound board even likely to be the culprit here? Having one Gottlieb, one newer Stern and one Williams game makes it hard to test boards, LOL.

1 month later
#5 11 years ago

Still no luck finding this issue "sound hanging" after certain targets or coils fire. Even had my favorite pinball tech over to try and fix it. He took the sound board, replaced a couple of chips he has seen go bad before all to no avail.

This is starting to tick me off. It's making me really hate the fish.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Can you figure out which coils or targets? I wonder if they are all in the same column/row and maybe that would point somewhere. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

We actually checked this, they are not. The fish coil in the topper would make it hang so I unplugged it, now the captive ball in the boat ramp will trigger the "hang" everytime, although this is not the only thing...very frustrating!

#11 11 years ago

Not exactly sure what you mean. It doesn't hang on the same note per say, when it hangs, it hangs, sometimes its a buzzzzzz sound, sometimes a musical note.

The sound goes back to normal when a ball drains and the next ball starts. I've tried 3 different sounds roms, the original, one from JWJ, and one from my pinball tech. Changing the sound rom does not help. FT has only the one sound rom.

I have not removed or changed the ASIC chip. I have pushed around on it and today even tried to put a zip tie around it (that is harder than it sounds to get done!). I am just out of my league on this repair as I am with most board work....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 169.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnkinkokomo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-cracked-solder-joint?tu=johnkinkokomo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.