Is this a cracked solder joint?

By johnkinkokomo

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Working on a fish tales. The sound has an issue. Start a ball and all is fine. Whenever a solenoid fires (like the fish topper) it makes the sound "stick" in that spot. When the ball drains and it is time for ball 2, the sound starts normal again.

Here's what I have done. New ribbon cables, new roms including sound. Where should I go next? Should I take the sound board out and inspect it for cracks in the solder joints, and if so is there a particular area of the board to be looking at?

Is the sound board even likely to be the culprit here? Having one Gottlieb, one newer Stern and one Williams game makes it hard to test boards, LOL.

#2 12 years ago

edit - nevermind

#3 12 years ago

Okay, how many here have the same initials (DAD)?

#4 12 years ago

Sounds like a possible power supply issue. When the solonoids fire they may be taking down a voltage from the PS that is feeding the Sound PCB. I'd have to look at a schematic but I'm sure there are others here that can chime in.

It also can't hurt to look for loose connections and poor solder joints on the Sound PCB.

1 month later
#5 11 years ago

Still no luck finding this issue "sound hanging" after certain targets or coils fire. Even had my favorite pinball tech over to try and fix it. He took the sound board, replaced a couple of chips he has seen go bad before all to no avail.

This is starting to tick me off. It's making me really hate the fish.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Okay, how many here have the same initials (DAD)?

quite a few......as most of us are umm well DAD's.

#7 11 years ago

Can you figure out which coils or targets? I wonder if they are all in the same column/row and maybe that would point somewhere. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Can you figure out which coils or targets? I wonder if they are all in the same column/row and maybe that would point somewhere. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

We actually checked this, they are not. The fish coil in the topper would make it hang so I unplugged it, now the captive ball in the boat ramp will trigger the "hang" everytime, although this is not the only thing...very frustrating!

#9 11 years ago

Have you identified the chip that stores that sound? Pull it and clean the legs. I would also pull all the chips and clean the legs. Pull the connectors and clean the terminals also. All of them. Is the chip you replaced the one for that sound?

#10 11 years ago

Can you upload a vid (with sound of course) of the issue?

#11 11 years ago

Not exactly sure what you mean. It doesn't hang on the same note per say, when it hangs, it hangs, sometimes its a buzzzzzz sound, sometimes a musical note.

The sound goes back to normal when a ball drains and the next ball starts. I've tried 3 different sounds roms, the original, one from JWJ, and one from my pinball tech. Changing the sound rom does not help. FT has only the one sound rom.

I have not removed or changed the ASIC chip. I have pushed around on it and today even tried to put a zip tie around it (that is harder than it sounds to get done!). I am just out of my league on this repair as I am with most board work....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-cracked-solder-joint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.