• Latest reply 3 years ago by topkat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

firepower (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Trying to classify this issue.(firepower)
On occasion during gameplay the displays go dead, all solenoids dead, flippers dead, inserts lights go out .
Sound continues to play , gi is is on , backglass stays lit. If I power cycle it comes back. I’m searching for a fix, but I haven’t seen an exact term that describes this .
Thanks and be well

#2 3 years ago

No. Your game just died during game play. With a reset, the game would have came back on to let you start a game without having to cycle the power switch.

Still, many of the same things are related. How many of these Williams system 3 to 7 bulletproof items did you do already?
1. Change all the electrolytic capacitors on the power supply
2. Change the male and female 40 pin interconnectors on the 2 boards
3. Repin connectors and replace the male board header pins
4. 5101 NVRAM to get rid of the batteries forever
5. None

#3 3 years ago

Thanks. So I experimented with a new rd3-6 combo and it did the same thing. Then I replaced the power board, thought it was solved and it happened again. So I believe that rules out any
Mpu/cpu or power issue..?
None of the connectors are original ,
Some older than others but they look clean
I have not touched the bridge reciters yet. That was to be my next attempt. Again thanks for helping me classify the issue.

#4 3 years ago

Still sounds like a power issue. Basically, you need to test the 5 volts on the CPU board once the game fails. Likely it probably dropped to less than 4.75v. You can measure at pin 14 of any of the 74xx IC parts on the MPU. If it dropped, then I would definitely say that it is one or several power connectors causing the issue. Best to repin them all to each board.

If the connectors are not original, did you repin them recently?
The pins more likely lost their tension to the board for any that had not yet been replaced.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Still sounds like a power issue. Basically, you need to test the 5 volts on the CPU board once the game fails. Likely it probably dropped to less than 4.75v. You can measure at pin 14 of any of the 74xx IC parts on the MPU. If it dropped, then I would definitely say that it is one or several power connectors causing the issue. Best to repin them all to each board.

Ok I will go through the power connectors and repin...have the time
Should I suspect the 2 rectifiers if repining
Doesn’t solve it?
Thanks

#6 3 years ago

The frequency has dropped since the power board replacement, but I will have a dmm ready to test the voltage

#7 3 years ago

These 4 are the board connectors, in red, that could cause your 5volts to drop. The 3x4 molex connector, in yellow, is a possibility if the raw 5volts coming into your board has burnt pins.

firepower (resized).jpgfirepower (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

The frequency has dropped since the power board replacement, but I will have a dmm ready to test the voltage

It does sound like pin connection issues. Start with replacing any of the 4 circled in red that have not been replaced already.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Should I suspect the 2 rectifiers if repining
Doesn’t solve it?

I know one of the 2 rectifiers mounted to the backbox is only for insert lights. I don't recall the other for sure, but I think it is for coil voltage. If that is correct, then would not help the issue.

#10 3 years ago

Appreciate the photo and labeled connectors.
I will get those checked next

#11 3 years ago

No problem. I don't have a game with a Rottendog board in it, so I am unsure where those would then plug into for the MPU/driver combo board.

#12 3 years ago

Once you start a game, you can wiggle the wiring a bit on these 4 connectors to see if you can get the issue to show up quicker.

#13 3 years ago

I switched back to the original mpu after the problem occurred on the rd board as well
The power board is a Kohout. It has the led readout of what the power is for each output . The board was getting 4.7 when the game died last time... so makes
Me think has to be one of the connectors

#14 3 years ago

Hmmm... The Kohout board having the LED readout should be the voltage before it hits the connector to go out to the MPU/driver boards. What is the 5v measuring when you first turn on the game?

With power off, try reseating the 3x4 connector to see if that 5volts rises at all before reseating any of the 4 red connectors.

#15 3 years ago

I will check in the morning... But I believe the led showed the same when it died, as it did after I power cycled and had it working again
I think they were all the same actually

Take care

#16 3 years ago

Have you checked your volts at the wall your plugged into? Does the voltage drop because it’s on the same circuit as something in the house like AC, furnace, washer etc. just a thought.

#17 3 years ago

While you have power board out replace the 2 diodes with heavy duty units. One was dead on my Blackout and caused the 5 volts to be pulled low. Common failure point.

#18 3 years ago

The Kohout board, although I don't have the schematic nor can I zoom in on the board, seems to have an adjustable pot for the 5v. Do you have a schematic, board instructions, or can see what the pot is labeled?

Also, what is the 12 volts measuring?

http://pinballpcb.com/products/williams-system-3-6-power-supply/

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Have you checked your volts at the wall your plugged into? Does the voltage drop because it’s on the same circuit as something in the house like AC, furnace, washer etc. just a thought.

I will keep thar I mind too. The other side of the wall is the fridge. Probably same circuit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-considered-a-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.