Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by wizzardz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Commodore64.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I am selling a pin and had someone email me about purchasing, here is what he wrote: Thanks for responding, I am ok with the price. I would like to send payment ASAP, let me know if a certified check is ok, after check clears my shipper will come pick it up at your location, I would like to take a look but i cant, but my shipper will. I need your full name and address please I dont want PO box to avoid the delay of payment, also need your cell number...waiting to hear back from you in order to move further about the pick up.
    Not sure about this being a scam, if anyone has ran into this before let me know. I can't decide if this guy is for real or not. Thanks for the help

#2 12 years ago

Screams scam to me

#3 12 years ago

I have gotten that same responce & yes its a scam

#4 12 years ago

sounds scammy to me too.

#5 12 years ago

scam, do not waste your time and don't even bother replying

#7 12 years ago

Cash and carry only.

#8 12 years ago

Thats all I needed to hear, 3 in a row saying scam, that is my feeling too just wanted to be sure, thanks for the comments

#9 12 years ago

Ask for a wire transfer to your bank account. Wire transfers are same as cash and can not be recalled unless you agree with your bank that you were not the intended receiver.

#10 12 years ago

Scam, thats a form letter I have seen before when selling a car. Sorry

#11 12 years ago

He'll "accidentally" overpay, and ask you to transfer the overage back to him (less a small amount for your trouble) via WU or something else that doesn't let you get the money back.

The original check however will turn out to be fake, and you'll be out the money you "refunded" to him, plus you'll be in hot water for trying to cash a fake check.

#12 12 years ago

Had the same kind of CL reply for a field recorder I was selling. I love to play along with them. Her story was she can't make calls overseas....she is an oceanographer. Her shipper will come get the item.

#13 12 years ago

Glad I went with my gut and asked before I went forward with it

#14 12 years ago

I like to tell those "certified check" scammers that I'm leaving soon on a trip and need the check right away.

They pay extra to overnight the check, and then I tell that that the check is damaged (wet, torn...) and need another right away.

I can usually get them to send 3 or 4 checks before they give up.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I like to tell those "certified check" scammers that I'm leaving soon on a trip and need the check right away.

They pay extra to overnight the check, and then I tell that that the check is damaged (wet, torn...) and need another right away.

I can usually get them to send 3 or 4 checks before they give up.

Hahahah I'm gonna start doin that

#16 12 years ago

Thats a really good idea vid1900 I may try that

#17 12 years ago

The most classic episode of scamming the scammer ever:

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm leaving on a trip, but I really need that machine!

#19 12 years ago

It's a scam.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Ha! I had never seen that before. Hilarious

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from mwiltoncos:

I am selling a pin and had someone email me about purchasing, here is what he wrote: Thanks for responding, I am ok with the price. I would like to send payment ASAP, let me know if a certified check is ok, after check clears my shipper will come pick it up at your location, I would like to take a look but i cant, but my shipper will. I need your full name and address please I dont want PO box to avoid the delay of payment, also need your cell number...waiting to hear back from you in order to move further about the pick up.
    Not sure about this being a scam, if anyone has ran into this before let me know. I can't decide if this guy is for real or not. Thanks for the help

i got the same email from someone when i was selling some airsoft gear on c/l last year. i emailed them and told them to get f#$@!

#22 12 years ago

ABSOLUTELY

3 person scam
    you are the check recieving party (It will usually not clear)
    there will be someone somewhere that is waiting on a machine for that money
    and someone else waiting on money for ther machine etc...

get you both to chase after each other one for money and one for a machine while the 3rd party con artist slides out of the picture with both and no trail.

RUN AWAY

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

LOL good read.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from PaulyB18:

vid1900 said:The most classic episode of scamming the scammer ever:
    LOL good read.

Haha, just read through that whole thing. P-P-P-Powerbook!

#25 12 years ago

One of the oldest internet scams in the book. I now put, "local pick up only, will not ship" in my adds. Haven't had another scam issue since.

Oh yeah, moving this to All Pinball sub forum. Pinside Websight is for issues with the forum itself.

#26 12 years ago

Really funny story!

#27 12 years ago

scam

#28 12 years ago

I wish this site were working:
    http://www.419eater.com/html/john_boko.htm

it's a whole website dedicated to messing back with the nigerian scammers. This guy requested the man carve a commodore 64 out of wood. Then he had him carve a wallace and gromit (british cartoon) out of wood. Really impressive stuff, then when the man asked where his payment was, he made up a story about how the company is all in jail.

Commodore64.jpgCommodore64.jpg

#29 12 years ago

I don't know if he's done any lately, but these are some funny 419 scam threads

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-cl-scam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.