New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 78616)

Is there such a thing as a working $4k LOTR?

By Stack15

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by NorCalRealtor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have wanted to get a LOTR game in 100% working order for some time now. However, I only see "fancy pants" HUO ones with gold trim, extra figures and gold bling and they are always $5k-$7k. Has anyone seen one around the $4k mark in 2013-2014? Or should I just look for a different game instead?

What do you think?

#2 6 years ago

You should be able to find a routed one in pretty good shape in that range. Keep trying. I dished out for a fancy pants one, but have seen 1 or 2 routed ones go by without all the bling.

#3 6 years ago

Yes, there is.

I got mine for far less than that. It can happen.

If you already have 9 pins, you may be able to work around the 100% working issue. Minor things should be easy fixes. Mine had bad wear on the flipper buttons, and was a routed machine, but looks great with the later siderails, and the playfield is quite nice.

I don't need my stuff to be perfect (and frankly prefer if it isn't) so it was worth the price to me to get a routed machine.

I think if you hang on and keep your eyes open, you can find what you're looking for.

Chris

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I have wanted to get a LOTR game in 100% working order for some time now. However, I only see "fancy pants" HUO ones with gold trim, extra figures and gold bling and they are always $5k-$7k. Has anyone seen one around the $4k mark in 2013-2014? Or should I just look for a different game instead?
What do you think?

I just missed out on an opportunity to get an original run SM, original run LOTR and a BSD for $7,900...so yes.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks everyone!

#7 6 years ago

Sure there is. I would say to start a WTB ad but I think this one should do.

#8 6 years ago

I should have one close to your price range next week. But alas I'm a bit to far of a drive.

#9 6 years ago

I've purchased 2 HUO LOTRs, one at $3500 and one at $4000. If you look they are out there

#10 6 years ago

I had a friend who picked up a routed one for 3500 6 months ago. Dirty as hell and needed full shop job but was working 95% except for some typical tweaking.

#11 6 years ago

I got one out of a 24 hour Laundromat last week for FREE!

j/k

I did just find one at laundry here in town. Adding to the pinside map later today.

#12 6 years ago

You have to be really fast at that price range. I was going to buy one from Bene for 4.4k but it got sold almost instantly. Ended up getting an LE.

#13 6 years ago

I found mine below, It just takes time and contacts. Networking etc.

Its just not gonna plop into your lap

#14 6 years ago

And sometimes it will appear when you least expect it. That's what mine did.

Chris

#15 6 years ago

I sold one for just over that a couple of months ago. It was "lightly routed" and in really good shape. I only sold it because I am upgrading to a "Fancy Pants" one. 100% working, although I heard he had a problem with the sound ROM or something right after he got it from me.

There was also one for 3800 in my area at the same time, but that one looked like it had quite a bit of wear on it. It has been a while since I have seen a nice HUO at 4.

#16 6 years ago

I made WTB ads on here and on a regional site. All I received were people offering me their LOTR games between $5,500 and $7,500. Then they would get a little angry, rude and/or mad when I said that was out of my price range. My experience has been that WTB = an instant 25-40% price hike on any game.

It is the opposite of when I am selling. One pinsider offered me $200 for a 100% working BSD. He said the really, really nice ones only fetch $750. So one with faded art is $200. Ummmm.... No.

#17 6 years ago

I'm looking for one as well. I'd pay a bit more than $4k to have it in better shape or with more 'toys' on it, but they seem to be hard to find, at least in Michigan.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

I should have one close to your price range next week. But alas I'm a bit to far of a drive.

Could you PM me the price and who you normally use for shipping please? A completely shopped one with LEDs would be worth a little north of $4k to me. Thanks.

#19 6 years ago

Well if anyone has one locally I am looking for a nice HUO LOTR and willing to pay $4,750. Don't need any mods just want it to be in nice shape and local. I have been looking and everyone seems to want $5K plus so I will wait some until one comes up. As well as a HULK LE local for around $5K ish (have seen them but not local)....don't need any "bling" just want a nice HUO.

#20 6 years ago

You should be able to find one off route for $4K if you search hard enough. Call up the ops in your area and tell them that you have cash and aren't looking for a warranty. Personally, I'd save up a little extra and get a HUO perfect one. It's worth it to have a machine that's flawless and doesn't need any work. You're going to put a few hundred $ into a routed beater and it will still never look/play as nice as a HUO one. I don't really understand why people buy routed Stern games since HUO versions of the same game aren't that much more money. I could see if they were really cheap, but usually the price difference is less than $500 between routed and HUO.

#21 6 years ago

Yes, I had a routed one. There are still many out on route . Keep looking, you will find yours.

#22 6 years ago

I am also looking for a nice HUO one in the DC area and willing to pay in the high 4s.

#23 6 years ago

I'm looking as well and willing to pay up to $5k in decent shape.

#24 6 years ago

homearcades.com has one listed for $3600. I have no connection to them and can't vouch for it being 'live.' My suggestions are to keep your eyes open and have patience. There are good deals out there to be had.

#25 6 years ago

For reference I paid $4995 on ebay in Aug.2013 for one and paid 429 to have it shipped. It had wear around the start button and flipper buttons but everything else was in really good shape and had been a routed machine. I wanted one and had looked for about a month and did not want to wait any longer and I thought that was a fair price for a working routed machine in very good condition.

#26 6 years ago

I am in MN and have one that may be available in very nice shape - would rather trade then sell - feel free to pm me
Do not want to derail thread - they are around, just go fast

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I made WTB ads on here and on a regional site. All I received were people offering me their LOTR games between $5,500 and $7,500. Then they would get a little angry, rude and/or mad when I said that was out of my price range. My experience has been that WTB = an instant 25-40% price hike on any game.
It is the opposite of when I am selling. One pinsider offered me $200 for a 100% working BSD. He said the really, really nice ones only fetch $750. So one with faded art is $200. Ummmm.... No.

Regarding the BSD buyer...what a snake! I'd offer him a free one-way ticket to my ignore list.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside