(Topic ID: 212256)

Is there much market for EMs with trashed PFs?

By Onevox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2823 (resized).JPG
IMG_2824 (resized).JPG
IMG_2822 (resized).JPG
91WITh00NrL._SY450_ (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
IMG_6855 (resized).JPG
IMG_6865 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

You may have read elsewhere. I picked up a '57 Williams Naples woodrail, was going to restore, but have decided against it because it will require a lot of detailed painting (and its not a pin I'm going to love working on). I'm not sure if it has value or not when the PF has so much wear and a plastic is broken, and I can't find much info on this one. Mechanically complete though. Advice would be appreciated.

IMG_6865 (resized).JPGIMG_6865 (resized).JPG

IMG_6855 (resized).JPGIMG_6855 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Would be cool to see it working. But I wouldn’t think your hard work would ever be paid off.

#3 6 years ago

If is not making you want to fix it may be one to sell to make room for another. This happens sometimes you get something as a project and come to realize it's more then your in for and it just gets sold to the next fan to be saved hopefully not parted out.

#4 6 years ago

did you get it playable ? , I'm sure there is someone out there with artistic skills that would trade it with their non-working but touched up machine

#5 6 years ago

This would be for an EM collector who was ready to take on a major project and who didn't care about resale value... As for selling it to the general public, it would be difficult to sell as is. There might be some value in the playfield parts and the backglass. But, how many people are looking for parts for a 1950s Williams pinball machine? The "hip" crowd likes these types of playfields and backglasses to hang on a wall or to make into a coffee table, but they have to be in excellent condition... If the machine was local to me and it was listed in the $150-$200 range, I'd probably buy it...

#6 6 years ago

If you like playing woodrails, then I would try to get it working w/o putting much money into it. From the looks of the playfield, it was probably a fun game to play. If it's all there, then why not find out? Coils can purchased and elbow grease is free.

#7 6 years ago

If it was mechanically sound and you didn’t need to spend a fortune on parts I’m sure you’d make something on it. Completely see your point, but these old pinballs are pieces of history and they become harder to find each year! Maybe someone on pinside would take it on?

#8 6 years ago

I haven’t plugged in yet. I was going through everything. Some of the steppers are sluggish and everything could use a good cleaning. I figure between the schematic ($20) and brake cleaner, flex stones, rubbers, etc I would have to put about $50-100 into it. Would love to find this a good home.

#9 6 years ago

ANHTUNG! Is that a German import?

*Noticed the scoring game win amounts.

Onevox where are you located? It would help on the sale.

#10 6 years ago

The great thing with old EM's is that are easy to re theme due to simplish rule set. You could sharpie the targets on the play field and still have a shxt load of fun.
Art is classic but doesn't affect the unique gameplay .

EVRY ONE NEED S AT LEAST ONE EM IN COLLECTION

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Would be cool to see it working. But I wouldn’t think your hard work would ever be paid off.

Not always about the $$. I like the patina of the ol games.
Been loved and played.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

ANHTUNG! Is that a German import?
*Noticed the scoring game win amounts.
onevox where are you located? It would help on the sale.

I don't think it's an import. I think it was just a previous owner's sense of humor maybe.

I'm in southern Virginia.

I did think about a retheme (like an 50s Hawaii travel poster - wood board surfer look) where the playfield is stained and painted to look like different types of wood.\

But I'd hope not to decommission a pin if someone loves this era game.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

91WITh00NrL._SY450_ (resized).jpg91WITh00NrL._SY450_ (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

There is probably a guy out there with a Naples with a trashed glass and decent playfield. Marrying them up to make one nice game is always a good feeling. I think it's a neat game worth saving.

Not long ago I had a 66 Dancing Lady. It was decent overall aside from the worn playfield. I got it tuned up and playing pretty good. It was enjoyable as a rat rod type pin. It's a nice player and I had great fun with it. A couple months back I put it up for sale and a buddy of mine told me he had a Dancing Lady that the head got crushed by a trailer. So perfect scenario. He's going to make two into one with some parts leftover. Just have to find that guy...

#14 6 years ago

Get it playing and enjoy it as it is, or pass it on. You don't see this one very often. I've only seen one before, years ago. Someone drove from Colorado to the Allentown show to buy it if I recall correctly. They can't all be museum pieces. This is a surviving original, and parting or retheming it would be a shame.

#15 6 years ago

If anything those lovely ladies on the backglass gotta be worth something.

#16 6 years ago

Of course there's a market. Pretty much any shopped EM is worth $500 to the right buyer. And an old woodrail like this you could shop in a day or two.

Not everything needs the full resto treatment.

Looks like a fun game and at least the giant yellow dicks aren't too messed up on the playfield!

#17 6 years ago

Don't retheme or part it out. Play it then sell it to an experienced restorer who can repair the playfield and clear coat it.

#18 6 years ago

Got this in trade for some work I did on a 2001.it doesn't have to be pretty to play good.I'm going to clean it up and play the crap out of it.

IMG_2822 (resized).JPGIMG_2822 (resized).JPG

IMG_2824 (resized).JPGIMG_2824 (resized).JPG

IMG_2823 (resized).JPGIMG_2823 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

HEY! We spoke on Sunday about this game. I'm going to send you a PM now. Let's find a way to get her to my home in Naples

#20 6 years ago

The layout looks good on this one, traditional flipper placement, interesting pop-out/upper play field.A scan of the lower play field from a nicer machine would do wonders toward repairing it. Primary colors are not easy to paint but easier than graphics. A lot of rich old people live in Naples Florida( yeah,its Italy, so what) so if it was presentable it has a potential customer base.
Bottom line a 100 dollar project to me in this area.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Of course there's a market. Pretty much any shopped EM is worth $500 to the right buyer. And an old woodrail like this you could shop in a day or two.
Not everything needs the full resto treatment.
Looks like a fun game and at least the giant yellow dicks aren't too messed up on the playfield!

Slightly phallic but no head, I see an interesting array arranged with the simplicity of the Era.

#21 6 years ago

Working out something with menacefire. Thanks for all the advice.

#22 6 years ago

I am not speaking from experience as I do not have any touchups under my belt yet, but I would have thought restoring the playfield on an older machine would be considerably easier than a modern one. I would think an EM machine with its blocks of solid color are a lot easier than some weird modern dot-pattern gradient or something. I would keep it and try your hand at masking and painting. It looks more complicated than the Grand Slam with its giant field of basic green, but a great project to try and if it ends up horribly, you can still part it out or re-theme.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-much-market-for-ems-with-trashed-pfs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.