(Topic ID: 100519)

Is there enough demand for 8K+ pinball machines? I don't think so.

By CraZ4Pin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Darscot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dolls.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-01-28-56.png
    image-14.jpg
    20140820194308092.jpg
    vintAmanamanloose-m.jpg
    blue_snaggletooth.jpg
    Donny please.gif
    rvdv.jpg
    richpindude.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider popbumperpete.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 9 years ago

Interesting read

But I think that there are a large number of pinball owners who do not post on the forums
    Also people who can afford to buy two or more $8000 games tend not to brag

#24 9 years ago

As I said, I found your original post in testing

But I know of ten guys of the top of my head that can afford $8000 games but never post on pinside

#25 9 years ago

The market will decide who stays and who fails
    Only a couple of games that have been announce appealto me

Reliability and choice of themes will be a decidingfactor
    No longer so we have to accept what Stern offers

#43 9 years ago

The comparison between cars and pinball machines is funny

Germany makes more cars per year than the USA, Germany is not known for making cheep cars

#45 9 years ago

What worries me is that one of the new guys will not survive in the long term
    The new games are run of a PC, will replacement board be available in 5 years, in 10?

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I mean .... You can armchair theorize all you want about what the market can bear, but it's all just people with various agendas making guesses. the best indicator is reality, and the reality is that PPS, Stern, and JJP don't have much trouble selling hundreds of $8k pins at a time. I'm sure if the market begins to dry up, then prices will come down, but rick sold roughly 1000 $8k pins in one day last winter. I know there are millions of people who will never pay that much for a game, but apparently there are plenty ld who can.

Also Rick can afford to be a one-shot-wonder
    His core business is selling parts, he has not had to build a factory
    He can build the handful of remakes that will get him his price then pull out of the manufacturing game

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Where are you getting your production numbers from?

Germany exports cars, you guys, not so much

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I'm not counting people who have like one old pin in their basement that they rarely play. I'm talking about people actively into the hobby and likely to buy NIB. I think about half the people that bought MMRLE have an account here.

As I have posted before in this thread, I know 10 guys who sometimes buy NIB, none of them post on pinside

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

That's a small sample size. I know ten guys who buy new games and do post on Pinside. *shrug*

I'm not the one who thinks Pinside is the center of the universe

#175 9 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Normally I would agree with you Rare Hero, but statistically you can prove that Pinside is way bigger than 5%. See TRON LE and X-Men LE, pinsiders own 40% of all them made, and that's not even counting the lurkers and people who don't fill out their profile (which is a lot of people). So the real number is probably over 50% for some of the LE's. If you look at like AFM, pinside owns 14% of all the AFM's ever made. I think on RGP it was less than 5% for sure, but pinside has taken it to a whole other level.

it would not surprise me that some pinsiders have 'enhanced' their collection

#218 9 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

There will be no less than 4 companies vying for your money next year..we'll see how many NIB machines the collectors can absorb, and then the year after that those 4 companies will be looking to sell 4 more new machines. I say a very small subset will be ready to pony up money again the very next year....of course this is all just conjecture, but if it's way off base then why are there still MMR LEs still available for sale? The same goes for Hobbit LEs. Why did it take so long to sell the STLEs (some say not even all of the 800 were built due to slow sales)?

5 companies. And Stern will release at least two new games
    Stern
    JJP
    Pps
    Heighway
    Homepin

#221 9 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

You are forgetting quite a few. Skit-B, Dutch Pinball, JPop, Spooky Pinball (Others that I even forgot)

No I did not forget them
    I concider them to be smallguys making 100 games in a garage
    Not 1000+ in a purpose built factory

I like that it is now possible for small boutique style players can now get games out there
    These are the guys that are bringingsomething fresh
    But these guys will come and go over the next few years

#237 9 years ago

I think they will all be able to keep prices lower by eliminating parts that most of us don'twant/nred....
    .....like coin mechs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider popbumperpete.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-enough-demand-for-8k-pinball-machines-i-dont-think-so?tu=popbumperpete and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.