(Topic ID: 100519)

Is there enough demand for 8K+ pinball machines? I don't think so.

By CraZ4Pin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Darscot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dolls.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-01-28-56.png
    image-14.jpg
    20140820194308092.jpg
    vintAmanamanloose-m.jpg
    blue_snaggletooth.jpg
    Donny please.gif
    rvdv.jpg
    richpindude.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Yes.
    They go on location.
    The slots where quarters go in?
    They actually get used!
    Pinball is a location game.
    Something that seems to have been forgotten in the 2010's

Hi,

This is Pinside. Most of the people on Pinside are hardcore pinball people, we like pinball so much we choose to buy heavy/expensive games for our homes. Many of us “Pinsiders” play on location as well, mostly because we can not own every machine.

Nice to meet you. ....and welcome to our home.

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Playing on location is fun. It's nothing all that special though, pinball is pinball.

It’s not special...until it is. In other words, its special now. Over the years location pinball has died, but it is making a small “hipsterish” comeback to a degree.....(as I am sure you know) When a new place with 10 collector quality pins opened up a few blocks from me, I heard angels singing....It was special. . That being said, I won’t bet on going back in a few weeks/months to find the games working like they did the first week. I hope I am wrong though.

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Thanks for the welcome.
    Now go play some location pin!

Your location is unknown.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Why blame operators and arcades?
    Did you support them?

Yes, I played the operators game until It no longer worked, then I played it half broken, then I gave up and went home.

Not always true....but normally so.

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

I said DC area. I have the pins @ Town Hall in College Park. Like I said, WOZLE, ACDC Premium, AFM, TZ, TAF, DW, WPT, SnS. STtNG @ Black Cat in DC.
    More location pin to come.

Cool....I was teasing you for not having the location set on your profile. If I ever make it back to DC, I’m on that.

#134 9 years ago

Back on track.... I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but I won’t be paying 8k for one game.

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Rare, why are you not the target audience?

I will answer unbiased for him....he has 25 perfectly working pins at his house. I have never been there, but I would put money on it.

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Stop trying to shame us!!!!

LOL!

#143 9 years ago

Lets bring this full circle to the topic Newsom...You don’t have any 8k machines, nor do I. Do you think you will buy an 8K machine in the future.....I’m out on that price, but will be glad to plunk $1 in someones. How long do you think it will take to pay off such a game, with plays from said 8K game?

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

So Cal is bigger than a lot of New England states, hell San Ber'dino county is bigger.
    It is an hour and 45 minutes from Lake Arrowhead to Lake Alice.
    » YouTube video

I can drive to one of the best pinball locations in the country, then through Mad Max-esque times back to my house in less time.

#154 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Lets bring this full circle to the topic Newsom...You don’t have any 8k machines, nor do I. Do you think you will buy an 8K machine in the future.....I’m out on that price, but will be glad to plunk $1 in someones. How long do you think it will take to pay off such a game, with plays from said 8K game?

This was a serious question. If I could pay off a 8K game....or 5k for that matter in a reasonable amount of time by putting it on location I would consider it. I am afraid it would take more than a year....a lot more.

#158 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

I'm a player from about '88 on.
    I just operate because that's what pins are supposed to do.

I just eat the bubble gum and throw out the cards, because thats what you are supposed to do.

We all have different motives.

#182 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

What production games are 8k?

This is a question better asked a few posts back.

#212 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

"If the economy tanks again, I very much doubt (a)__ price tags on (b)__ will be sustainable"
    Fill in the blanks:
    a) a premium price
    b) any non essential item, toy, hobby, etc...
    If the economy tanks, pins and a vast majority of hobbies go down, period - ironically probably not in price (right away), but as a hobby they will be toast indefinitely once again. I don't care if prices end up at 8k, 5k, 2k... in a bad downturn, people will not be buying pins in NIB quantity to sustain such a ridiculously niche and ultimately frivolous market. I don't think it has anything to do with overpriced (or underpriced for that matter) pins during the good times.
    Luxury watches and cars can presumably survive because they are ultimately way more popular among the 'recession immune'. At least that's my thought?

It depends on your definition of “tanks”. The economy was bad when JJP announced WOZ, and its not exactly the baby boom right now.

#216 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Starting a company in a downturn is a great opportunity - cheap real estate, labor, and manufacturing. The term is obviously relative, but a business starting up is not an indication of a strong economy.
    Also recall the original WOZ price? $6500 I believe? As the economy turned up more and more, where did that price end up? We're at like $9k now for the same machine with red trim.

You are correct on the original price being $6,500. I still consider the original price a great buy. I would not trade my WOZLE for any current or past pin on the market setting resale values aside. The Hobbit will have to make me crave it like a heroin addict kicking to spend 8K though. My pinball bank is busted, my choices are limited to selling before buying on NIB prices. With prices as high as they are now for Prem/LE type games I would end up with a lineup of two or three rather than 6 or 7 in order to get my next fix......It could happen though.

#217 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

However, that does not change what I believe is inevitable. Hobbit may ultimately sell out the LE's (but far fewer 'standards' IMO.) It's when you get to game #3 and beyond that I think the sh.t will hit the fan. People will see a new 'must have' ... and want to sell their Hobbit or WOZ or whatever to pay for it. I think the shock of depreciation on their 8K games will lead to even less enthusiasm about buying another 8K pin. Combine this with the fact that Dutch Pinball, Multimorphic, and Heighway Pinball all look very promising to have 8K+ games actually delivering in 2015 and something has to give.

Here is an odd comparison I will state for fun, that has little to to with our conversation.

I collect vintage Star Wars figures....as you may know. The most valuable and most collectable are the last 17 figures in the original trilogy from 1985. The reason they were so limited was market saturation and overstock of the previous figures before the last 17 were even made. The toys had to be discounted in order to sell them. Many parents were burnt out on buying the next toy, and the next toy...and interests changed as well as other factors. They did not make as many, so they are now valued more by collectors......Hopefully it will be some time before something similar happens to pinball.....but It happened before..... cough cough...closeout CV....reduced price BDK.

#233 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Out of curiosity, do you have them MIB or loose? I've got all the loose ones, though I kind of stopped collecting around 97 when the new stuff came out and packed it all away in boxes a long time ago. Every once in a while I check on prices, but they seem to always hover around $5 each for the loose ones.
    I just saw some loose figures from the 90s at a flea market where they wanted $8/each. I kind of rolled my eyes--partly because they were asking more than what the vintage stuff was going for, and partly since those figures don't seem all that old/collectable to me.

I collect loose NM to Mint figures. Take a look at “Star Wars last 17 figures” completed listings on ebay. $5 figures are the common ones in rough shape.

Its nothing compared to my pinball habit obviously, but it can start to add up....I really only need 5 or 6 figures to complete the set, however I am picky about the condition.

#238 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, I guess they go for a bit more than the common ones.
    There were a few sales of $50-$160 for a loose Amanaman...yikes.

Thats one of the crown jewels of my collection....To bad I sold the Blue Snaggletooth I used to own. I think I sold it for pinball funding though.

Off topic nerdom!

vintAmanamanloose-m.jpgvintAmanamanloose-m.jpgblue_snaggletooth.jpgblue_snaggletooth.jpg

#248 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I can't take it anymore!!! Dolls???

oh...? Here is a picture of my "dolls" next to my JP, complete with mechanical Dinosaur.I better get a SW Data East and place the figures closer to it so I can feel better. Phhht.

image-14.jpgimage-14.jpg

#249 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pfft, action figures. Have you ever seen dolls that look that ugly?
    Besides, it looks like now they're worth a few bucks. Maybe $400 in that one photo, according to recent ebay sales. Not bad for a $10 investment 20 years ago. Sure beats the interest I'm getting at the bank.

Meh.....Or, you could just collect them because its fun.

#250 9 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah..I guess. Kind of reminds me of The 40 year old virgin movie. I hope you guys get laid in the end too.

36 and married. I hope I get laid someday too.

#257 9 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Just get divorced. For some odd reason it turns your average schmo into catnip for ... kitty cats.

I was joking

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-enough-demand-for-8k-pinball-machines-i-dont-think-so?tu=pen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.