(Topic ID: 100519)

Is there enough demand for 8K+ pinball machines? I don't think so.

By CraZ4Pin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Darscot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dolls.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-01-28-56.png
    image-14.jpg
    20140820194308092.jpg
    vintAmanamanloose-m.jpg
    blue_snaggletooth.jpg
    Donny please.gif
    rvdv.jpg
    richpindude.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newsom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Another pinsider wrote:

richpindude.jpg 20 KB

Ah, but playing pinball is for the poor. When I was a teenager or when I was in college and did not have much money, I could always round up a few bucks and play some pin.
    Pinball is cheap entertainment.
    Now, if you have to have it in your residence, or want to play dress up with them, that is not cheap.

If you have good location pin near you, I suggest that you play it.
    I would much rather pay 50 cents or a dollar a game than pay $4.5k - $8k plus shipping plus room in the house to play pin.

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from vtec16:

But they look so darn pretty in your own house!

Not really, and they take up so much room.

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What would be a better use for this so called "room"?

That depends on many variables.
    Maybe the spouse doesn't want the house cluttered up, maybe that was where the loveseat went before 3 more pins were bought, maybe the place looks nicer with some open space, etc.

What I'm getting at is that is that playing pinball is not expensive.
    Go to a bar or arcade that has a row of pins.
    You will probably only spend $5 - $10 for a few hours worth of credits if/when you are a good player.

If you feel like you have to recreate that same line of pins in your house, it will cost $30k - $50k or more.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No loveseat, no spouse. Problem solved. But I do have a nice rug in front of the fireplace just in case.

Ok. But playing on location kicks ass compared to playing in a basement or house.

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Apparently you have never attended one of RVDV's pinparties.

I don't know who RVDV is. But I have played plenty of location pin. And I will take location pin over someone's house pin all day long

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Serious ? Most location pins absolutely suck balls !

Yes, I am serious.
    Just playing at home is lame.

"Most location location pin absolutely suck balls??!?"

How much location pin do you play?

No good location pin in St George?
    You could change that.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Scroll down for for pics, I will take these games over the broken LW3 on location up here any day.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-parlor-in-corona/page/9

Broken "ok, Ok, ok..."

I don't know where you are at, but here I have Wozle, acdcpre, TAF, DW, WPT, Afm, SnS, TZ at one location. STtNG at another. I used to have another 15 out and will soon.

Location pin owns home pin.

The replay and special actually mean something.
    You get to be social, etc.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Where do you live? Hopkins? Alameda? Boulder? Now that's some good location pinball!

I have pins out in the DC area.

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You have 37 pins but playing at home is lame? OK.
    It's already been said, but location games are often dirty & broken in various ways & you can't hear the sound. There's nothing lame with wanting to play a pinball machine that's clean, fully functional, and audible.
    ***Please note, I'm not saying it's BAD to play on location, that's obviously what these machines are for....but we're a group of people that appreciates the nuance of pinball more than others, and we collect - it's totally cool and fun to play at home and there's nothing wrong with it at all!

Yes.
    They go on location.

The slots where quarters go in?
    They actually get used!

Pinball is a location game.
    Something that seems to have been forgotten in the 2010's

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You have 37 pins but playing at home is lame? OK.
    It's already been said, but location games are often dirty & broken in various ways & you can't hear the sound. There's nothing lame with wanting to play a pinball machine that's clean, fully functional, and audible.
    ***Please note, I'm not saying it's BAD to play on location, that's obviously what these machines are for....but we're a group of people that appreciates the nuance of pinball more than others, and we collect - it's totally cool and fun to play at home and there's nothing wrong with it at all!

Yes.
    They go on location.

The slots where quarters go in?
    They actually get used!

Pinball is a location game.
    Something that seems to have been forgotten in the 2010's

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Playing on location is fun. It's nothing all that special though, pinball is pinball. I'm more social with people playing at home then I am on location, where frankly I'm often the only person paying attention to the fact that there's even a pinball in the place. At home the machines are well maintained, and I can hear the music and callouts.
    Playing by yourself alone all the time can get a little old, but that's why you have pinheads over all the time to play and compete with and go to leagues and parties. See the photo I took above, plenty of socializing happening there.
    If you live somewhere where there's a lot of location play maybe it's different, but it doesn't work that way in SoCal. The lifeblood of the scene here is private collections, for better or for worse. Maybe we do it differently, I dunno, but I play a lot of pinball with a lot of people all the time, so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

You are right, pinball is pinball. If home pin is more social than location pin where you are at, that is
    interesting.

Don't KME and Belsito operate pins in SoCal?

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Is that our fault? Blame operators and arcades, but don't sit there and judge us & tell us we're lame. We have passion for pinball and there's nothing wrong with private collecting. Both the location side of pinball and the collector side can co-exist, you know. It's not a battle.

ma

Quoted from Rarehero:Is that our fault? Blame operators and arcades, but don't sit there and judge us & tell us we're lame. We have passion for pinball and there's nothing wrong with private collecting. Both the location side of pinball and the collector side can co-exist, you know. It's not a battle.

Why blame operators and arcades?
    Did you support them?

You have a passion for pin. That's great.
    Like I said, pin is a location game.
    Support your local operator.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Hi,
    This is Pinside. Most of the people on Pinside are hardcore pinball people, we like pinball so much we choose to buy heavy/expensive games for our homes. Many of us “Pinsiders” play on location as well, mostly because we can not own every machine.
    Nice to meet you. ....and welcome to our home.

Thanks for the welcome.
    Now go play some location pin!

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Your location is unknown.

I said DC area. I have the pins @ Town Hall in College Park. Like I said, WOZLE, ACDC Premium, AFM, TZ, TAF, DW, WPT, SnS. STtNG @ Black Cat in DC.
    More location pin to come.

#136 9 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Why are you adamant that it's one or the other? I live in an area with over 1.3M people and not a single pin on location. blockquote>

Sounds like something that you can fix.
    You've got pins. Put them out!

#138 9 years ago

Rare, why are you not the target audience?

#141 9 years ago

I know SoCal is big. DC traffic is no treat either. But if there is someone operating Nice pins anywhere near me, I will seek them out.

#149 9 years ago

Settle down RH.

If you want to line up pins in your residence, that's your prerogative.
    I never said "shame".

Collect on, collectors.
    You are doing a fine job.

#152 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The movie theater near me has Rolling Stones. I don't have Rolling Stones, so I like playing that game after a movie if I have time....but what do you want from me, man...you want me to sell off all my games and only play the ones at the theater? C'mon....just stop judging. You're in the wrong place to be negatively judgmental about pin collectors.

I don't even like most Sterns, but TRS is underrated. Play on.

#155 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

This Newsome guy is obviously an irked operator who hasn't realized times have changed. Pinball is mostly for the home now...just is. Arcades are mostly dead. I say that a little hesitantly as pinball on location is still biggish in Portland, OR. I will play out in the wild when I can but it's hard to find time to, especially with the family in tow. They don't want to wait for me to play. At home it's so much easier and nicer. You can hear them, they are dialed in, play perfect, beer is readily available, comfortable shitter is twenty feet away. Perfect.

you've got me figured out. Damn!
    Yes pin is huge in PDX.
    And unless it makes a comeback in other cities it will be done for.
    Overpriced Stern pins going to home collectors will not sustain pin.

#156 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

This Newsome guy is obviously an irked operator who hasn't realized times have changed. Pinball is mostly for the home now...just is. Arcades are mostly dead. I say that a little hesitantly as pinball on location is still biggish in Portland, OR. I will play out in the wild when I can but it's hard to find time to, especially with the family in tow. They don't want to wait for me to play. At home it's so much easier and nicer. You can hear them, they are dialed in, play perfect, beer is readily available, comfortable shitter is twenty feet away. Perfect.

I'm a player from about '88 on.

I just operate because that's what pins are supposed to do.

#160 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Lets bring this full circle to the topic Newsom...You don’t have any 8k machines, nor do I. Do you think you will buy an 8K machine in the future.....I’m out on that price, but will be glad to plunk $1 in someones. How long do you think it will take to pay off such a game, with plays from said 8K game?

What production games are 8k?

#164 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Arcade coin-op in general is just not that much of a money maker...that's just the reality of the modern age. Stand alone arcades *purely* for gaming are obsolete. People have all the gaming entertainment they want on their consoles/phones...this is nothing new. Pins/vids are usually paired with some other business element because it's near impossible to make a living from a pure gaming arcade. Barcades, for instance. They're not relying on the pins 'n vids to make a living...no, that's just a cool thing to get you in the door- money's made from drinks/food. Chuck E. Cheese type places...again, making most of the money off drinks, pizza, and redemption games.
    Again, say what you will about collectors...we might not be the "savior of pinball", but we do buy overpriced Stern pins and that helps pay the bills & put food on the table for all the guys working there. We're doing our part, in our own way, to keep pinball going. As do location players. As do tournaments. All these things are important. It's silly to single out one party and insult them.

Unless pins can make money on location they might as well hang it up.
    Home buyers have pumped up the price of pins in the last few years.

If pins can't earn on location they will be a conversation piece in a few years.

I know that you stated that pins will hold their value over the next decade, but if someone drops something that makes todays DMDs look dated, prices will drop like an anchor.

JJP took a couple steps in the right direction.

#166 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I've put more than a few coins into newsom's pins (was that Whodunnit at black cat yours as well?) but I don't see why collectors and operators can't get along.
    It seems to me like an op would be making a bad business decision investing in an $8k pin. Just like a cabbie would be crazy to ply his trade in a Maserati. Doesn't mean Maserati is doomed, though.

Not my W?D.
    I had a. W?D @ TH for a while.
    It was also at John's Place in Fairfax for years.

#171 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Arcade coin-op in general is just not that much of a money maker...that's just the reality of the modern age. Stand alone arcades *purely* for gaming are obsolete. People have all the gaming entertainment they want on their consoles/phones...this is nothing new. Pins/vids are usually paired with some other business element because it's near impossible to make a living from a pure gaming arcade. Barcades, for instance. They're not relying on the pins 'n vids to make a living...no, that's just a cool thing to get you in the door- money's made from drinks/food. Chuck E. Cheese type places...again, making most of the money off drinks, pizza, and redemption games.
    Again, say what you will about collectors...we might not be the "savior of pinball", but we do buy overpriced Stern pins and that helps pay the bills & put food on the table for all the guys working there. We're doing our part, in our own way, to keep pinball going. As do location players. As do tournaments. All these things are important. It's silly to single out one party and insult them.

No need to be so sensitive RH. I am not calling you out.

if nobody can produce a pin that the public wants to pay play, pin will die a slow death.

Home sales will not sustain pin.

Hopefully someone comes out with something that makes ST look like an EM.

We need some advancement in pin. Most players could not tell.you whether TAF or. ACDC were the newer game.

#178 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I'm secretly hoping for a huge collapse in prices. Games will get so cheap, operators will buy up HUO games cheap and put them out on location. Location play will coming screaming back and the circle will be complete. d

Oh yeah!
    Location pin making a big comeback!

Well, we can hope.

#180 9 years ago

RH can I get a thumbs down?

It looks like you missed a couple posts.

Thanks

#181 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Pins don't make as much as they did in the 90's, but they also don't depreciate like they did in the 90's. I've had NIB games more than pay for themselves in earnings, then sold them for a nice profit. That didn't happen in the 70's or the 90's. I've never sold one of my location games for less than I paid for it. I maintain them meticulously and protect them wherever needed.
    The numbers don't lie. Location numbers are steadily growing. Now is an excellent time to solicit new locations. My newest location took about a 10 minute conversation with the owner to secure a deal. I did my homework, made my pitch and got the location. 10 minutes tops.

Did you operate in the 90's?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newsom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-enough-demand-for-8k-pinball-machines-i-dont-think-so?tu=newsom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.