(Topic ID: 100519)

Is there enough demand for 8K+ pinball machines? I don't think so.

By CraZ4Pin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Darscot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dolls.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-01-28-56.png
    image-14.jpg
    20140820194308092.jpg
    vintAmanamanloose-m.jpg
    blue_snaggletooth.jpg
    Donny please.gif
    rvdv.jpg
    richpindude.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jlm33.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Why are you so obsessed by this? Jack's not going to lower prices for you. Stern's not going to lower prices for you. Don't buy NIB games if you don't like the price. Clearly there are people who will buy these games or else you'd stop seeing the high prices.

I guess the goal is to show the manufacturers that the market for $5-6k pins would be significantly larger.
    JJP managed to convinced people that $8k is the new price reference. In this range we have JJP, Sterns LE, MMr, TBL, P3... NIB buyers ready to spend that amount are not that many. And they are not going to buy every one of these pins. Forget about operators too...correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt there is a single WoZ on location in France. I doubt we will ever see a Big Lebowski pin in a bowling alley around here.

In the $5k- range we have Sterns Pro... nothing else (besides Predator, sold out). Here is where some competition could be healthy.

In between stand Sterns Premium, AMH, Full Throttle.

#163 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But I do have a nice rug in front of the fireplace just in case.

That rug really tied the room together...

#170 9 years ago

Home vs Location...

Playing on location makes sense assuming:
    - games would be in pristine condition
    - games would rotate and I could try new games
    - sound volume would be turned "on" (last time I played ACDC on location, music was off... )
    - I would meet friends there
    - It would not only be an arcade, but have a bar, with other games (darts, etc)

Having games at home allows you:
    - to play old games you would never find on location (EM, early SS... I love my spectrum, which was a turd on location)
    - to play with the sound on
    - to study the rules in depth
    - to adjust the settings to your liking.
    - to have parties and tourneys at home, invite friends - pinheads or not - some will enjoy it; some will ignore it.
    - to make temporary exchanges with friends - this is why I have a TZ a home for now.

There was one arcade nearby. I used to go regularly but it closed. Now all we have left are a few bars with 1-2 pins, where we can organize small tourneys for our regional league, after adding a few of our own games with the help of the operator. That's cool, regular bar customers enjoy it.

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from hb1981:

not many bars with pinball machines in The Netherlands though...

Not many in France either...
    (but I am above 35... so I do not go to bars anyway )

#188 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

That's silly. Maybe one or two weirdos would do that but not enough to make a difference.

Agreed. And probably far less than people who do not disclose their collection, or own more than one copy of a game (as far as I know, you can't specify if you own more than one). The latter case is not uncommon: ops, hoarders, flippers...

#190 9 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

I have zero room for any more machines yet I have two more on order.

That makes two of us...

#205 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball4life:

If resale prices remain high, that will surely work.

I am ready to bet that not a single $8k pin will be bought by an operator and put on location in France. (perhaps a few MMr but I doubt it... no Hobbit, no TBL). There is simply not enough money to be made to recoup your investment, even if resale value is not bad (say 20% loss after 12-24 months). Remember maintenance, cost of gas and labor and high taxes here.

Operating expensive pins would remain financially viable here if you get back nearly **all** of the pin cost when reselling it. Seems very unlikely with NIB pins. So an option could be to buy the HUO pins from rich / bored collectors once these pins have already lost some value, hoping no further major drop in resale value after putting them on location: seems possible assuming the pin is properly maintained.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jlm33.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-enough-demand-for-8k-pinball-machines-i-dont-think-so?tu=jlm33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.