(Topic ID: 100519)

Is there enough demand for 8K+ pinball machines? I don't think so.

By CraZ4Pin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Darscot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dolls.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-01-28-56.png
    image-14.jpg
    20140820194308092.jpg
    vintAmanamanloose-m.jpg
    blue_snaggletooth.jpg
    Donny please.gif
    rvdv.jpg
    richpindude.jpg
    There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 9 years ago

Soo .... I'm just trying to extrapolate on a recent Pinside Poll I started regarding what folks could afford annually in regards to their annual "pinball budget". https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-nib-games-what-can-you-afford

After 200 votes, the results are:
    45%: Simply cannot afford a pin at 6k or higher
    20%: Can afford one pin at 6k or less
    11%: Can afford one pin at 8k or less
    7%: Can afford 1-2 pins (roughly a $15k budget annually)
    17%: Can afford as many games as they want as long as they love the game/theme

I tend to think many people who are actively interested in pinball and will consider buying a new pinball machine in the next year (or in any given year) are on Pinside (albeit not necessarily as active as others on Pinside.) BUT ... in the spirit of being conservative ... let's say that just 1 in 50 people who "may" want to purchase a NIB pinball this year were on Pinside in the last few days and particiapted in this poll. So for every 1 person active on Pinside I'm suggesting there are 49 others either not on Pinside (or did not participate in the poll) or who simply aren't a pinhead and may just buy a game for their gameroom OR are an operator and make up some number of that 49. Seem like a somewhat reasonable approximation? So that would mean there are possibly 10,000 pinheads and/or people considering buying a NIB game for their home (or business or route) this year. That would work out to roughly ...
    4500 folks who simply cannot afford a 6K+ pinball game
    2000 folks who can afford only a 6K pinball game at most
    1100 folks who can buy at most 1 game at 8K
    700 folks who buy 1-2 games (or roughly a 15k pinball budget)
    1700 folks who could potentially buy more than 2 pins at 8K or more

I don't think we've really ever had 2 new 8K titles come out at roughly the same time but I suppose it's possible this year with the release of Hobbit in December and (hopefully) the announcement/release of Stern's newest title (TWD?). I think it will be interesting because ..
    At best ... given these conservative numbers ... there are potentially only 3500 people who could afford an 8K game (and yes, of those 3500, maybe 500 people/games are OP's).

JJP is obviously trying to sell 1500 Hobbit LE's whose price now stands at $8,000.
    Stern will likely announce an LE version on their next title and if it's like ST there could be around 800 of them at $8,000.
    Now then ... there are a half dozen other "boutique" shops taking pre-orders on 8K+ games in 2015.

My thoughts/conclusions:
    - There simply aren't enough folks who can afford 8K+ games - and i don't think operators are too keen on buying too many games at 8K+ either
    - I think this explains a lot in regards to the limited sales of Hobbit to date (albeit yes, many more may order/buy when the game is released and shipping)
    - The sweet spot in pricing seems to be around $5500-$6000 for a game
    - Stern has an advantage in offering games (like Iron Man VE) at sub 5K prices. Nobody else is offering games in this price range. Stern still owns the market in this price range.

Which company/boutique shop closes it's doors first? Which one changes their busines model to sell more affordable games? What else does this say about the future of pinball? Thoughts??

#2 9 years ago

Thanks, very good read and very interesting.

#3 9 years ago

All the LE game have made people ask $5000 + for B level $8000 is LOL

#4 9 years ago

And how many motorcycle manufacturers are there or should there be using this logic...................... just saying........

#5 9 years ago

You seem have it out for the high end pinball market lately...lol.

Also..."limited sales of Hobbit...". What information are you basing that on? That is simply not true. Did you see that over 170/1500 pre-orders are coming from Pinside alone?

I do think at $8k people, including myself, have to pick and choose very carefully what pin they are going to spend that type of cash on. Same goes for pins at $5k though...I for one cannot afford to buy two $8k games a year, let alone 1 every year. I'm looking at what $8k ($7.5k for many Hobbit buyers) gets me. I want complete deep code through regular updates. I wants lots of toys (yes, toys!), magnets, newer tech (such as an LCD), features (included topper, invisiglass, shaker) etc. Those are the main reasons that I've choose JJP games when it comes to higher priced pins. If I'm going to drop $8k on a pin it better offer a lot of value.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What information are you basing that on? That is simply not true. Did you see that over 170/1500 pre-orders are coming from Pinside alone?

I don't know too many route OP's buying LE's to put on location. It's mostly us pinheads and I think a good percentage of pinheads are on Pinside (so 170 isn't overly impressive to me). That being said ... I only know from 2 distributors personally who said "there are plenty of Hobbits left" (no, no firm numbers for sure.) So their tone seemed to me like "you have plenty of time to buy one if you want one". THEN .. when I saw a distributor list a Hobbit pre-order for sale here on Pinside last month at the original price of $7500, and NOBODY jumped on it. Bump after bump. Last I saw it was on here for a month (and I'm still not sure if it ever actually sold?). That sure seemed to me like sales weren't overly strong.

IF you have a Hobbit on pre-order I'm sure you have no worries and I'm sure the game will be awesome. I only worry about the long-term survival of ALL pinball companies relying on selling games at 8K+.

OH .. and of those 170 ... how many have since cancelled their orders (like myself).

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the good discussion.

While I see your logic, there are millions of people with the disposable income to buy an $8k pin in Stern's target market so it's reasonable to think that they can sell several thousand a year. That's why it's so important to have a popular license that can attract the non-pinhead.

#8 9 years ago

I hear ya. You have some good points.

At $8k I think the company offering the most value wins. That means complete deep code, newer tech, lots of features and great customer service to me. Dutch Pinball could very well compete with JJP in the higher end market if TBL turns out as well as its coming across as in teasers.

I do think that JJP should consider making a $5k game in addition to an $8k game. I don't mean pros and premiums but rather two separate games offering a different set of features. Have the $8k game be the loaded wide body game but then also have a standard body game (with the LCD, using the same platform) with a few less toys and features for $5k. If JJP could ship the $5k games within a couple months after they are announced they would likely take a good number of pro sales away from Stern.

#9 9 years ago

Why are you so obsessed by this? Jack's not going to lower prices for you. Stern's not going to lower prices for you. Don't buy NIB games if you don't like the price. Clearly there are people who will buy these games or else you'd stop seeing the high prices.

Just don't buy them. That's all you can do.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

At $8k I think the company offering the most value wins.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but I can buy a fully loaded game for $4500 (and starting to fall) finally. And that would be TZ, a top 3 all time, sure-fire pin. Aside from and LCD and modern boards, what exactly is the "new" technology that many bring up on here? Ultimately, it's just pinball. You hit a metal ball and stuff happens. The pin community has been totally bamboozled into seeing value in any 8K game.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Why are you so obsessed by this? Jack's not going to lower prices for you. Stern's not going to lower prices for you. Don't buy NIB games if you don't like the price. Clearly there are people who will buy these games or else you'd stop seeing the high prices.

They can enjoy the party now because soon it will be game over for new machines if current pricing trends continue. And as I said in a previous post, remakes are in fact killing resale. I don't think I've seen a game actually sell on Pinside in a week. Kill the resale market, kill the hobby ultimately. NIB purchases are up. Those are now used games and many will want to unload them after wearing out on them over the next year. They won't buy the next NIB when they see what happened to the value of theirs.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Rarehero ... this is not about Jack (or you and I for that matter). Jack will do whatever he wants. I tried stating above that my concern is for ALL of the pinball company startups (albeit, including JJP.) I don't understand where people seem to think all of these consumer spending dollars are coming from. My concern is directly with the impact to the future of pinball. I don't think these companies can all survive at these price levels much less thrive. I tried to be somewhat scientific about it by doing a poll. If the numbers tell you otherwise please feel free to discuss.

#13 9 years ago

I think the point CraZ4Pin is making (and I agree) is that the market for $8k pins is much less liquid than the market for $4k pins. If you buy an $8k pin and decide the value isn't there, you're going to have a lot fewer people to sell to. I also agree with usandthem - it's only pinball, and spending 4x as much won't make a game 4x more fun.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If JJP could ship the $5k games within a couple months after they are announced they would likely take a good number of pro sales away from Stern.

Why do you want Stern to Fail ? Why does JJP need to take their business model to survive ? Why do you always compare the two companies and why is Stern always on the bottom of your opinion ?

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

They can enjoy the party now because soon it will be game over for new machines if current pricing trends continue. And as I said in a previous post, remakes are in fact killing resale. I don't think I've seen a game actually sell on Pinside in a week. Kill the resale market, kill the hobby ultimately. NIB purchases are up. Those are now used games and many will want to unload them after wearing out on them over the next year. They won't buy the next NIB when they see what happened to the value of theirs.

Riiiiight. And when I was young, we used to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways.

Too many people on here think that because they used to get pins at a lower price, that there's no market for pinball if prices continue to climb.
    Of course, nearly everyone wants new toys, cooler features, deeper code... It all costs money.
    Stern didn't have much trouble selling Met LEs, and though I'm not sure if Stern sold all of the StarTrek LEs, I'd say they did well enough to call it a success. (No arguing the game needs a code update before buyers all agree to that statement though).
    Medieval Madness? Yeah. Expensive, but they sold pretty well.

Here's the good news; if you love pinball but don't want to shell out the NIB price, just wait til others have tried out the new pin and pick it up a couple months later when it's out of the box and a little easier on the wallet.
    This hobby is not for the poor. Lots of man-caves out there with thousands and thousands of dollars worth of pins. Hike up the price a little more and people will still buy them -if they like what they see.

If I went back in time, knowing how much I'd enjoy my favourite pin, I'd happy pay $10,000 instead of $8,000. It's still great value considering how much we enjoy it.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Why do you want Stern to Fail ? Why does JJP need to take their business model to survive ? Why do you always compare the two companies and why is Stern always on the bottom of your opinion ?

Heck no. I want Stern to be successful and to be around for a long time. My point just refers to a potential opportunity for JJP to compete with Stern at the $5k level which is something they are not doing today. If JJP made a Stern pro type game that leveraged the JJP LCD platform, offered regular code updates like they did with WOZ and sold them at the same price of Stern pro games I think they would get a good chunk of the sales in that price segment.

Stern is not at the bottom of my opinion. Far from it. I think at the $5k price segment they have some games that offer a great value. Do I think they should offer more with some of their $7.5k+ LE's after seeing what you get with a JJP game for the same price. Absolutely yes.

#17 9 years ago

Look how many people wanted a TBL pin before the price was announced compared to those who actually preordered after.

#18 9 years ago

Didn't MetLE sell out in a day a year ago?

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Thanks for the good discussion.
    While I see your logic, there are millions of people with the disposable income to buy an $8k pin in Stern's target market so it's reasonable to think that they can sell several thousand a year. That's why it's so important to have a popular license that can attract the non-pinhead.

I know many many people with so much money it is sick. They have all heard that I collect pinball machines. They ask how much? Then they look at me like I am a dumbass when I tell what the price ranges are and what I have spent. With all the millions of people with disposable income, most will never spend even 5 K on a machine.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I guess the goal is to show the manufacturers that the market for $5-6k pins would be significantly larger.
    JJP managed to convinced people that $8k is the new price reference. In this range we have JJP, Sterns LE, MMr, TBL, P3... NIB buyers ready to spend that amount are not that many. And they are not going to buy every one of these pins. Forget about operators too...correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt there is a single WoZ on location in France. I doubt we will ever see a Big Lebowski pin in a bowling alley around here.

In the $5k- range we have Sterns Pro... nothing else (besides Predator, sold out). Here is where some competition could be healthy.

In between stand Sterns Premium, AMH, Full Throttle.

#21 9 years ago

Interesting read

But I think that there are a large number of pinball owners who do not post on the forums
    Also people who can afford to buy two or more $8000 games tend not to brag

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

I know many many people with so much money it is sick. They have all heard that I collect pinball machines. They ask how much? Then they look at me like I am a dumbass when I tell what the price ranges are and what I have spent. With all the millions of people with disposable income, most will never spend even 5 K on a machine.

Toys mentality - It is bizarre but I have had a few people do the pinball wave (exactly like the Mexican wave) midway through a game when I tell them the price I paid for my pins (and I'm a cheap bastard, look at my collection). Its all fun and laughter and they say "awesome I'd love to get <insert favorite pin> for my house" then when the price sinks in its "Farkin Ell" both hands go up and they walk away shaking their head.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Interesting read
    But I think that there are a large number of pinball owners who do not post on the forums
    Also people who can afford to buy two or more $8000 games tend not to brag

I agree ... but that's why I suggested what I thought was a conservative number of 1 to 50! Is that number not conservative enough?

If that number is not conservative enough then what is? If any pinball manufacturer has actually paid for a market analysis ... what other criteria would they use? Who else would they conduct a survey against to better understand the market then a public forumn like Pinside where pinball enthusiasts flock to?

#24 9 years ago

As I said, I found your original post in testing

But I know of ten guys of the top of my head that can afford $8000 games but never post on pinside

#25 9 years ago

The market will decide who stays and who fails
    Only a couple of games that have been announce appealto me

Reliability and choice of themes will be a decidingfactor
    No longer so we have to accept what Stern offers

#26 9 years ago

I sold one watch to buy 2 pinball machines, thereby transferring watch money into pinball money. THIS is the point on which the entire argument turns. There are millions of things out there that people are buying instead of pinball machines that are all in the same price range. That money starts to flow in, and it is, then secondary pin market is completely irrelevant.

#27 9 years ago

We are spending a lot of time talking about $8,000 machines, but for the most part, they don't exist in quantity. Stern may have the LEs priced that high at MSRP, but the street price is significantly lower. The LEs are a niche product for people who like to have collectible pieces, so they need to be done in low quantities to maintain the appeal to their target audience. The premium models can be bought and shipped for $6500 for the same gameplay. Most people who ordered WOZ paid way less than $8000. MMr is really the only one in quantity, and I think that is an exception due to the high price of the original at the time it was announced.

$6500 is a good price point for me. I am willing to add a couple of thousand to that to get a really nice Refinery Edition, but I would not pay that extra for an LE. To me, the LEs and that Dirty Donny painted version of Metallica are just blatant cash grabs from Stern. They just don't do the extras as well as the other people who have stepped up to provide mods for these games.

I am also a little pickier with new games. Now the bar has been set high with Metallica. I need to like my next NIB pin at least as much as Metallica. That is going to be a tall order, and I hope one of these companies makes one that I like. I may change my mind once I play some of the games that have been announced, but for now, there is not a single announced pin that I would be interested in buying. Of the rumored pins, only The Walking Dead interests me, but that one will have to be really well done.

I think there are plenty of people who will pay for a new pin. I don't think we will see many for $8000 for quite a while. That price requires a really special game. I also think that a lot of buyers will buy for $6500 and then add $1500 or more in mods though. So, I guess I do see a lot of $8000 games. My two NIB pins will have cost me more than $8000 each by the time all of the mods are purchased and installed. I will get plenty of enjoyment from those two games to make the price worth it.

I guess my answer to the question in this thread is no. I don't think there is enough demand for high quantity $8000 games. I see those as limited quantity items, and I think there is enough demand from collectors to sustain that small market. I think there is plenty of demand for for the high quantity pins though. Those sell for $6500 and $4700. There is also enough demand for mods to keep new cool toys coming in.

#28 9 years ago

Whilst I could buy an $8k pin, I doubt I will as to justify it to myself, it would need to be so much better than all the other games out there.

Most expensive game I bought was STLE which sat next to my Met pro. Apart from the blingy lighting, Met pro actually looked better quality ( metal ramps I guess ) and Met was more fun to play.

So, highly unlikely I will be buying at this price point. Too many games from all other eras that are just as much fun and way cheaper!

#29 9 years ago

As someone that has sold pinballs to the home market for the better part of 35 years, I have long been questioning how on earth these companies think they can continue on with a business model that includes $8000 pinballs. I know what the magic number is for the vast majority of people based on a whole lot of experience, and it isn't anywhere near eight grand. It is actually under three! For now the market has absorbed it, but there are too many models competing for this market now, and a big issue is going to be people that can afford to do this simply running out of space. These aren't baseball cards people are collecting, and there is simply a finite amount of room. Also, I think for now it is clear that more games will keep on being made, so the whole scarcity thing is going away. I think a lot of people got in more as an investment than for the real love of pinball, and I just don't think those kind of buyers will be around for the long term. Finally, we are seeing more and more public places like barcades, coming on line and while this may help expose new people to pinball that may ultimately buy one, I think on the other hand people will feel less compelled to have them in their homes. The fact that you simply couldn't play a pinball in many areas drove home sales. Businesses like bars are always looking for new revenue drivers, and I think we will see more and more pins on location IF they can buy a model for under five grand or just get used games. Experienced operators will never spend eight grand on a new pin as a rule. They couldn't even manage a decent return on a new $3200 game back in the day, which contributed to WMS closing their factory.

All these factors make a compelling argument, imo, that the trajectory of $8000 games in quantities that will fuel more models cannot continue at the current rate. And, I would love to be wrong! No one knows...the whole home business model is still evolving. I want to see where things are three years from now. It sure is bringing prices down on classic models though, and I think that's good for the hobby because as I mentioned earlier, joe public for the most part has a budget of under three grand, period. Whether it is for pinball or a multigame, the majority just isn't going to spend more than that. Been that way for as long as I have been selling pins. The $3500 plus sale is the exception, not the rule.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

I agree that most view it as a toy and will not spend even a few thousand, but it only takes one in thousands to sell 10k games. You could say the same thing about someone who spends $50k on a boat, $8k on a wedding dress...

My wife thinks I'm a dumb-ass to spend so much on pins, but for me there is no better/fun place to spend my discretionary income.

#31 9 years ago

Can I make the car analogy here? I feel the compulsion to.

So, if you extrapolate the same logic to cars, you would come to the conclusion that the market can't support million dollar supercars, right? And the only ones destined for any longevity are Chevrolets and Fords?

High end stuff is attainable to a very niche group. The whole 1% deal. People aren't marketing $8k machines in hopes that the masses will flock to them. It's not reality and not a good business plan. There is a reason Stern sells a ton of Pros. The same reason Chevy sells a ton of $18k cars. That's the market sweet spot.

LEs and Hobbits and other machines aren't designed to be sold to the masses. Never have been, never will be.

The people on this forum, as much as people may not want to see it, only represent a fraction of pinball owners. A lot of the high end collections I've been in are owned by people who have no interest in cruising the forums. This is a skewed audience here.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

So, if you extrapolate the same logic to cars, you would come to the conclusion that the market can't support million dollar supercars, right? And the only ones destined for any longevity are Chevrolets and Fords?
    High end stuff is attainable to a very niche group. The whole 1% deal. People aren't marketing $8k machines in hopes that the masses will flock to them. It's not reality and not a good business plan. There is a reason Stern sells a ton of Pros. The same reason Chevy sells a ton of $18k cars. That's the market sweet spot.
    LEs and Hobbits and other machines aren't designed to be sold to the masses. Never have been, never will be.
    The people on this forum, as much as people may not want to see it, only represent a fraction of pinball owners. A lot of the high end collections I've been in are owned by people who have no interest in cruising the forums. This is a skewed audience here.

Makes sense. Even within a Brand/Model, companies offer good/better/best. Audi A7, S7, RS7...for example. Stern offers Pro/Premium/LE...same idea.

#33 9 years ago

Consider yourself fortunate if you own any pinball machines. If the games are too expensive, they won't sell and prices will drop.

#34 9 years ago

What difference does it make if you think there's no market for 8k pins? Stating over and over that no one will buy 8k pins doesn't actually make it true, regardless of how many threads or polls pinside starts.

I'm not aware of a pin manufacturer yet that has a warehouse of unsold $8k machines with the refusal to drop prices. All of these claims frankly sound like sour grapes to me.

#35 9 years ago

The more competition in every segment of the pinball market is better for us collectors. If JJP were to make a "pro" version I would be really excited, as there is just more pinball to be had, and maybe this would entice Stern to keep making quality "pro" models with more and more features as well as deeper and deeper rule sets. Each manufacturer pushing the others to higher standards...

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

All of these claims frankly sound like sour grapes to me.

I was with you until this. Why would this be sour grapes to anyone? If you want a pin and can't afford or don't think a particular title is worth $8k (or whatever), there are plenty other options.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Kill the resale market, kill the hobby ultimately.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but you are basing this statement on what? The revitalization of the hobby imo isn't being driven by the resale of 80's and 90's machines - that's what kept it alive, but it didn't bring it back from the dead.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

It's a bad analogy for several reasons. You're comparing apples and oranges. You simply cannot compare the car market to the pinball market. They're not even remotely close. There are roughly 50-60 million cars manufactured in the world every year and sold in more than 100 countries. The number of car enthusiasts/collectors purchasing million dollar supercars is a tiny, tiny fraction of that. Sorry to say but the popularity of cars (and collecting them) is significantly larger than those collecting high-end pins (so this allows companies selling million dollar cars to survive despite it being a tiny fraction of the market). We're not talking about a million people out there interested in pinball machines and only needing 5,000 or so of them to have the money to buy as many 8K+ pins as they want. I think you're talking about a much smaller number and hence the reason it will be hard for companies relying solely on selling 8K+ pins to survive.

#39 9 years ago

Another pinsider wrote:

This hobby is not for the poor.

richpindude.jpgrichpindude.jpg

#40 9 years ago

dp

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

It's a bad analogy for several reasons. You're comparing apples and oranges. You simply cannot compare the car market to the pinball market.

I've got to agree.

It's just another example of why carguments almost always fail.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I was with you until this. Why would this be sour grapes to anyone? If you want a pin and can't afford or don't think a particular title is worth $8k (or whatever), there are plenty other options.

It sounds like sour grapes to me because standing up and proclaiming "there's no market for $8k machines" is an unnecessary statement, unless you don't want there to be $8k machines; and what reasons are there for not wanting $8k machines? I count one: "I can't buy them all".

The argument that it destroys the market is ludicrous. There's high end houses, suits, watches, beds, TV's, speakers, etc. that average joe collector or owner can't buy - it's not bad for the market, it's that average joe isn't the market for those items and now (imo) average joe is upset he's being excluded by the $8k pin as well.

Again, just my opinion and interpretation. I personally can't afford $8k pins either, but I welcome the manufacturers to charge whatever they can sell for and maximize profit. Supply and demand will keep the price exactly as high as it needs to be at any given time, and frankly this hobby will see a recession whether the pins are cheap ($4k?) or expensive ($8k) because even at $4k that's a huge waste of useful household funds on a stupid toy.

Let Stern or JJP come on here and proclaim "there's no market for 8k pinball" and then I'll start to see it as a legit statement with no 'sour grapes' connotations.

#43 9 years ago

The comparison between cars and pinball machines is funny

Germany makes more cars per year than the USA, Germany is not known for making cheep cars

#44 9 years ago

The market will decide if $8k pins survive. I won't be buying one but we all benefit from those that do. Designers have to produce an experience that buyers deem worth $8k, or manufacturers will be forced to adjust.

Personally, I like knowing there might be "something better" out there that I can't afford right now.

#45 9 years ago

What worries me is that one of the new guys will not survive in the long term
    The new games are run of a PC, will replacement board be available in 5 years, in 10?

#46 9 years ago

Less resale value will ultimately lead to less sales.

How many times does this history have to repeat itself before people believe it? (American auto industry, housing prices)

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Less resale value will ultimately lead to less sales.
    How many times does this history have to repeat itself before people believe it? (American auto industry, housing prices)

This is not a good comparison. You're comparing unrelated highly-regulated industries (automotive, housing) to a niche luxury item (pinball).

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

It sounds like sour grapes to me because standing up and proclaiming "there's no market for $8k machines" is an unnecessary statement, unless you don't want there to be $8k machines;

I never stated there wasn't a market for 8K+ machines. I stated I think companies relying solely on 8K+ machines could be in trouble. Standard WOZ is 8K right now. Do you think JJP has plans to sell any pins at 6K or less? How about Multipmorphic and the 9K P3? Do you think they plan to sell pins at 6K or less? Or Dutch Pinball and the $8500 TBL? Do you think they have plans to sell pins at 6K or less? Does JPop have plans to sell pins at 6K or less? Does Planetary Pinball plan to sell a remake for 6K or less?

As noted, the only company selling any pin at all at 5K or less is Stern. They're still alone in that category. The next closest I suppose is Heighway Pinball and the 6K standard Full Throttle. I don't know where all these companies did their market research but I think they've missed the mark on pricing.

#49 9 years ago

I'm glad a lot of these new games are over my "never pay more than" price. It removes a lot of temptation.

#50 9 years ago

35% can afford at least 1 $8k pin a year! That's a lot! Thanks for giving the manufacturers more justification for high prices!

There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-enough-demand-for-8k-pinball-machines-i-dont-think-so and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.