8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

From rulings in the past stating that pinball is a game of skill and not a game of chance, is there anything against putting a pinball machine on location and saying that if someone can beat "X" high score they could win "X" amount of dollars? Would that be considered gambling under most state's laws?

#2 8 years ago

Great idea. In the end I know no legal ramifications. I'm sure you can give them a pizza and beer though, maybe even a shirt.....

#3 8 years ago

Purely a jurisdictional thing. Even if other areas have ruled it skill, you'll still have to fight it and hopefully they listen to your precedence argument.

If it's illegal and/or the cops get involved you will be facing a (probably) long legal battle.

#4 8 years ago

Is this a question of idle amusement, or are you considering something like this and trying to figure out what risk you're exposed to?

The only valid legal advice you'll get here: Pay for a lawyer in your jurisdiction to research and provide an opinion and risk assessment. Everything else is speculation by someone who has no vested interest and no personal risk.

#5 8 years ago

I don't see how it's any different from, say, a golf club offering a cash prize for a hole in one.

#6 8 years ago

This was at one of our local pizza places run by a guy that is totally into pinball. I think it was $25 if you beat the high score on one of his games. That jackpot game changed a few times.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This was at one of our local pizza places run by a guy that is totally into pinball. I think it was $25 if you beat the high score on one of his games. That jackpot game changed a few times.

I kind of doubt anyone would be chased down for a jackpot under $100.

When you start getting into several hundred or thousand dollar winnings, I'm sure that's a different story.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-anything-against-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.