(Topic ID: 139456)

Is there any type of pinball "code of ethics"?

By happilymarried05

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by NJGecko
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“When making a sell should you honor sells in order of response?”

• yes 44 votes
    73%
  • no 8 votes
    13%
  • It's pinball anything is fair, backstab, step on toes, who cares. 8 votes
    13%

(60 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

So I have only been on the scene since about 2008. Over that time I have discovered I am not the run of the mill type pin player. I am a bi racial guy who likes old hip hop, r and b, and well just about anything else that makes me feel good example the folk festival in N.C. recently

I love blue grass, and all kinds. Now with that said 80% of the people I have met dealing with in ref to pinball just do what they want. Say I am asking 4500 for a machine and someone asks me to send photos. During the time I am supposed to send photos someone shows up and offers me my asking price, In my mind I can't do that because I am already in talks with someone else who while he has not offered full price I just feel he should be treated with respect and at least given the chance to purchase. Is this not how people think? I can not be the only person who still has some dignity. Yes have fun with this thread, throw your tomatoes and whatever else you need to do but its amazing to me. Even some distributors drag you along its nuts. I like to find something, make a deal and buy it. What is with all the hoops and shady stuff?

#2 8 years ago

Money talks.....you know the rest..... .............Joey

#3 8 years ago

I think you are over thinking things. The first guy is asking for pics and has made no commitment yet. You have no obligation to hold the game as 9 times out of 10 they wont proceed past asking for pics (lot of tire kickers in the hobby). I only hold a machine for someone that has made an offer that I agree to the price. Outside of that it's fair game.

The main thing is that you should keep your word and be open and honest with people. If you make a deal, don't back out of it because someone offers you more or shows up first. If a deal hasn't been made then fair game again. At the same time, tell people that others are interested if they truly are and also let them know you will go with the first person to say "I'll take it".

I also recommend taking non-refundable deposits for those that need to travel in at later dates or are asking for shipping. More often than you would like to believe even the "I'll take it" people back out. If you are giving up sales (passing on others) you need some recourse for if they back out.

#4 8 years ago

That is BS. I am a marine and police officer. My world doesn't work like that no matte how many ppl are full of it. You approach me first you get first dibs, PERIOD. Part of whats wrong with our world everyone has a PRICE. That's why Trump is in the lead for the Republican race he can't be bought.

It's ashamed ppl in general can be.

#5 8 years ago

In before the lock for political nonsense

I don't think there is such a thing as a "run of the mill type pinball player", and I don't see how your racial background or taste in music has any bearing on your code of ethics. I treat people how I would like to be treated, nothing to do with either of our backgrounds. That said I voted "yes".

#6 8 years ago

85 I agree with that, but that is not how ppl work. At least a lot of them. its ridiculous. I also knw ppl back out that is why you get your list ready for ppl who are interested, I don't see a problem with a small deposit even 25.00 bucks is better than nothing but again this is not the trend I see. What you say makes sense but not a lot of people do that

#7 8 years ago

Please keep politics out of the discussion. Thank you.

#8 8 years ago

Lets be honest here, and I like all people because I'm a mut, But every pinball party or auction I have been too there were not a lot of minorities at. Winston auction there were 6 total. I don't care but as a minority I notice these things. I feel out of place in the pin world because a majority of the people I meet I have nothing in common with, ie: I am a criminal justice major, marine/police. Lets think back to college, every group had their own little click. Jocks, rich kids, the brothas, the goths etc etc. I could care less what anybody looks like or does but I am not oblivious to my surroundings either. I was simply pointing out a diverse background

#9 8 years ago

Yes, we have become a society driven by consumption, and money.

The pinball hobby, has gone that route too.

Based on your professional background, I understand and can empathize, with how you feel, and how things have changed.

Your personal decisions in any transaction, are of course yours......and for all to respect.

But, you will receive the full gamut of opinions, from A-Z, when posting a question like this on a global public forum.

"Price", "money", "investment", etc...are all a big part of the hobby now.

#10 8 years ago

Of course there will be a lock because the United States I fought for is no longer FREE. You can't say what you want to say without someone sensoring you like a third world. ridiculous And lock in 5 4 3 2

Funny how quickly ppl get their panties up in a wad over a simple discussion lol. Ii see the smoke from my house of all the people shaking the cage doors to get in with their 2 cents lol........ Enjoy OP OUT

#11 8 years ago

Do you play ice hockey also....???............Joey

#12 8 years ago

oldpinguy I knew that lol. I think a lot of it is funny. I get paid either day and in about an hour will be in my game room playing pinball so in the meantime ill let pinside amuse me as always . Most times when I'm reading I'm hearing the teacher from Charlie Brown

#13 8 years ago

no ping pong by myself

#14 8 years ago

Did someone drop something in Pinside's water in the last couple of weeks?

#15 8 years ago

Lol are you kidding, someone dropped something in pinsides water when it opened

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I think you are over thinking things. The first guy is asking for pics and has made no commitment yet. You have no obligation to hold the game as 9 times out of 10 they wont proceed past asking for pics (lot of tire kickers in the hobby). I only hold a machine for someone that has made an offer that I agree to the price. Outside of that it's fair game.

^^^^THIS.

For me and most others I know, if you contact me and say you want it at my price or we make a deal, you have first dibs. Saying you want to see pictures means next to nothing to me and is not any kind of commitment and does not show intent to purchase. I've had countless people ask for pictures and then disappear without any further communication. I'm not going to wait for a ghost and turn down serious buyers in the process. I don't think that means I have a lack of ethics. If you don't want to miss out on a game I sell, don't tire kick and/or drag your feet. The majority of the games I sell I price to move and most of those sell without me even posting a for sale ad. I don't have time to waste going back and forth with potential buyer after buyer.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from happilymarried05:

That is BS. I am a marine and police officer. My world doesn't work like that no matte how many ppl are full of it. You approach me first you get first dibs, PERIOD. Part of whats wrong with our world everyone has a PRICE. That's why Trump is in the lead for the Republican race he can't be bought.

It's ashamed ppl in general can be.

oh no a down vote whatever shall I do lol get real. #truth

#18 8 years ago

Lets think back to college, every group had their own little click. Jocks, rich kids, the brothas, the goths etc etc. I could care less what anybody looks like or does but I am not oblivious to my surroundings either

I dont remember college as anything like that! Maybe highschool, but by college there were no cliques. As an adult I have not once thought of someone as a "category" like you do. It may be your location or work environment, but I happily hang with anyone and if anything I have found the pinball world to be one of the most open and inviting places/hobbies ever.

back to the question at hand. When I sell I make it clear that first with a commitment and cash if whom gets the game. LOTS of people ask for photos and then drop off the face of the earth. A dicussion and communication is what really matters. If someone wants a few days with dibs while they think about something then they just need to ask. When they give their commitment then they need to hold their word. Most people I will trust their word once the commit to a buy/sell, but I have been burned and some people I may request a cash non-refunable deposit.

#20 8 years ago

Of course there will be a lock because the United States I fought for is no longer FREE. You can't say what you want to say without someone sensoring you like a third world. ridiculous And lock in 5 4 3 2
Funny how quickly ppl get their panties up in a wad over a simple discussion lol. Ii see the smoke from my house of all the people shaking the cage doors to get in with their 2 cents lol........ Enjoy OP OUT

dude chill out, nobody is persecuting you. you are not a martyr. climb down from your cross.

#21 8 years ago

Well we sure had them at Georgetown especially being that close to D.C. and I will never forget it. I dealt with racism all throught college because I was an oreo so to speak. I am 35 so maybe I grew up in a different time frame but just like today issues exist, whether you want to live in fantasy land is your choice. I remember going to a place to play pins when I was 17 and not allowed in because I was "too dark"

#22 8 years ago

oh no a down vote whatever shall I do lol get real. #truth

apparently, you shall reply feigning indifference and throw in a hashtag for some weird reason.

#23 8 years ago

I have to say, this is a very odd thread. The OP appears to have some type of agenda, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

#24 8 years ago

I think you have a skewed set of ethics my friend.

As a buyer, I don't feel the seller is obligated to me simply because I contacted them first. I must demonstrate I'm a serious buyer. Once a payment is tendered or a deposit excepted an agreement has been struck and should be honored by both parties.

Until that point, I will not turn away a sale nor do I expect others to.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

dude chill out, nobody is persecuting you. you are not a martyr. climb down from your cross.

lol I don't care what ppl on here say, I pay my light bill. Its actually comical to me how fast and how many ppl chime in so quickly, like I'm retired so I'm home during the day, where are all these ppl coming from so fast lmao

#26 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#27 8 years ago

im posting from fort meade right now. about to head into a secure lab though, so i likely wont be around when the thread is closed.

#28 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have to say, this is a very odd thread. The OP appears to have some type of agenda, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Lol no agenda I just find people funny. Everyone jumps on board and bulllets fly so quickly, people judge you and tell you what you are and what you are not like they know you. Its just funny to me. You can lock the thread if you like lol. I'm not mad at all, I just hear friends from other forums talk about how comical pinside is, thought I would test the theory, seems they are right hahaha

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

im posting from fort meade right now.

awesome

#31 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 8 years ago

strangest post ever. are you trying to pump up your youtube video views?

#33 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#34 8 years ago

ok my test is over. Op OUT I have other posts to browse and I don't really get addicted to responding to posts over and over lol so you guys have fun, keep in mind anything directed to me its probably not going to be seen by me

You guys are too funny.

pinball ON

#35 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

strangest post ever. are you trying to pump up your youtube video views?

lol I just like a good laugh. I needed it this morning bwahahahahaha don't be so gullible guys and gals lol. Its PINBALL you know that fun hobby with the silver balls bouncing all over the playfield..... smh YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE "TWILIGHT ZONE" don't touch the door

#37 8 years ago

Well we sure had them at Georgetown especially being that close to D.C. and I will never forget it. I dealt with racism all throught college because I was an oreo so to speak. I am 35 so maybe I grew up in a different time frame but just like today issues exist, whether you want to live in fantasy land is your choice. I remember going to a place to play pins when I was 17 and not allowed in because I was "too dark"

While we are not suppose to take a forum post in this direction, what you experienced is a product of who you are, where you went, and the "time" in society.

It is different growing up in NY as I did in the 70's as it is here in Florida in the 70's and 80's, or for my son.

When you call someone elses experience in life "fantasy island", especially with your background, how can you not see the
possible insult you are sharing.

I am unsure of your position, or your rational...perhaps a tough day.
But, I feel the thread should be locked and drained, because it appears you may want a "battle" rather then a discussion
on your question.

Hope for the best. Thread drained....looks like a lock coming.....

#38 8 years ago

I think you should be honest with people up front.
Selling- If you have a first come, first serve person... Let them know. If you are a "whoever has the cash first" person.... Let them know.
Buying- you need to ask questions..... Ask if they are willing to deal with you patiently or need the money now. If they are not in a hurry, great. If they sell to the first one with cash, hurry!

It does suck when you miss a deal or have one sucked out from under you....
####Edit####
This thread turned into a train wreck while I was typing!

#39 8 years ago

Joey yer crackin me up this morning.

#40 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#41 8 years ago

I sell in order of replies. To a point. If you ask for more pictures I'll send them. But that doesn't hold the game. If several people ask for pics then the first one saying they want it gets it. If you say you want to come look at the game in the next few days. I will will hold it until that day. If you show up and try to lowball, your out the door. I'll move to the next person inline wanting it.
The other issues I have seen with some sellers is: They offer a game at a price. You say you want it and can pickup that weekend. Seller says ok but then gets another offer for more money and sell to next guy. This is something I would never do.
I sold several pins and vids where other people contacted me offering more to sell to them. Turned them all down. One was even a grand more.
I have bought and sold many pins and a lot more vids since I started collecting in the late 90's. One thing I learned is your WORD and reputation should be a top concern.

#42 8 years ago

Congrats on several things:
Your extremely recent retirement.....a few posts ago you said you were a police officer, and now you are home all day retired.
Congrats on purposely posting something to get a rise out of people to "test pinside". You can now come out of retirement and become a part time troll.

Pinside isn't run from the US, nor is it a democracy, so there goes your freedom that you fought for....your injections of politics are actually against forum rules, which even you will have to learn to abide by.

How many times are you gonna say "op out" and then come back and respond? hmmm....almost like you WANT an argument

#43 8 years ago

ok ok ok one more thing, how long does this post go on now that it is OVER. Lol count after I post this how many people keep responding just to get in a word lol..

Go play pinball ppl have a wonderful day and enjoy life. Your fight from your almighty keyboard is over for the day hahahahaha........ on and oldpinguy if I wanted to speak to someone directly I would do it via pm so NO this is not battle as I'm not quite sure how you have a battle on a keyboard.. (left left right, down up, a, b , c? ) wait no that like a code to something lmao Smile guys sheesh. Your gonna give yourselves high blood pressure

OK 3,2,1,
how many ppl keep posting just bc they can't help themselves lol

#44 8 years ago

How many times are you gunna say peace out...your done.....just to come back in to hang out......???.....we're the over 35 crowd.....WE HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO.....!!!..............Joey

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Congrats on several things:
Your extremely recent retirement.....a few posts ago you said you were a police officer, and now you are home all day retired.
Congrats on purposely posting something to get a rise out of people to "test pinside". You can now come out of retirement and become a part time troll.
Pinside isn't run from the US, nor is it a democracy, so there goes your freedom that you fought for....your injections of politis are actually against forum rules, which even you will have to learn to abide by.

Ok so yea I retired in 2007 from a car accident so don't act like you know me. It was a very horrible thing. I am a police officer until the day I die PERIOD. I am a marine until the day I die PERIOD so don't sit there and try to mock me for what I said. July 1 2008 I retired I will never forget it and I'm going to say you hit a sore spot because I was retired trying to protect and serve so don't speak on personal issues you know nothing of trying to be a smart ass. I didn't even read the rest of your post because the first line pissed me off. Just because I can not work the streets does not mean I'm not an officer. I keep my certification up to date and what I did during my deployments and the commitment I made to my country makes me a marine until I die as well.. OORAH.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

####Edit####
This thread turned into a train wreck while I was typing!

Same here. Was posting a real response and looked up at the mess.

Need to learn how to type faster!!!!!

#47 8 years ago

Dude.....STFU would yaa...!!!.............Joey

#48 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#49 8 years ago

OP...please just take a breather and step away from the computer until you cool down, you are not doing yourself any favours. Sometimes you read something that is not meant to be interpreted in a certain way.

Code of ethics wise for me is always first come first served unless someone is driving over to look at a game and we have an agreement before hand. It's not about honour or being bought . I usually am selling a game to buy another one. If I have cash in my hands that's what counts. It doesn't make me a bad person or a puppet to world economics. It just a deal between two individuals.

#50 8 years ago

I'm honestly trying to remember how to ignore users as I like pinside just not some of the people.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-type-of-pinball-code-of-ethics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.