(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 79 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 93 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 94 votes
      43%
    • No Opinion 33 votes
      15%

(220 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230729_112305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230729_112256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4931 (resized).jpg
    protector pic (resized).jpg
    IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nepi23.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 5 years ago

If you have a NIB game, I would play a couple of games first to see that the machine works like it should. If you are happy that the game is ok, only after that I would put the protector in. Otherwise the manufacturer might claim that the faulty operation of the pinball machine is due to the end-user messing around and installing a PF protector.

Oh, and a definitive downside to me is the "sweaty look" that sometimes occurs under the protector. These are so-called Newton rings and I have yet to discover a proper way to get rid of them. I do not know if the occurring of Newton rings is only plaguing a single manufacturer of playfield protectors, or is this a more general phenomenon among manufacturers.

2 months later
    #190 4 years ago

Anybody with a solution on how to get rid of Newton rings when installing the PF protector? I have a protector on my DI installed at factory without any Newton Rings -phenomenon and then there are two pins where I've myself installed the PF protectors and there is the Newton Ring -phenomenon very visible. I had cleaned both PF:s before with naphta, if I recall correctly.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

Ah yes, I have seen those in places too. Assumed it was some kind of liquid underneath?

Yes, on my pins it looks exactly like there are blobs of liquid under the PF protector. Somewhat annoying.

#241 4 years ago

Hmm - I have wet spots on my Houdini and Alien. Both playfield protectors are from playfield-protectors.com. I have factory installed PF protector on DI without the wet spots - I have no clue of the manufacturer of the protector there.

2 months later
    #274 4 years ago
    Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

The wet spots seem to be uniquely on the new, thinner models of the pf protectors. I have the spots on BKSOR, MBR, and JJP POTC, but none on the thicker models before those that I have on DI, IJ, older games.
    I suppose it could be clear coat changes across three manufacturers, but it seems more likely that the Mirco protectors are causing the effect, right?

I also think its the new thinner PF protectors that are plagued with the phenomenon.

2 months later
    #291 4 years ago

Hopefully I may hijack this topic for a small question. I am using playfield protectors myself and I like them very much. The new thinner material that is used apparently is the culprit for the newton rings phenomenon, but I can live with it, even though I am not fond of it at all.

Here's my question: I have the following three games - is it worth to install a PF protector on them in your opinion?
    (Looking for answers from people that use the PF-protectors)

GB Premium - has ca. 1000 games on it and has dimpling already
    MMR - has ca. 400 games on it and some dimpling (not so much as on GB)
    CC - is a restored one and has a very nice clearcoated playfield. There is a minimum of dipling, which is hardly noticeable.

#295 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Isn’t there some soft wax, you can aply to the whole playfield before putting on the playfieldprotector?
    This would make the playfield somewhat adere to the protector avoiding the ring phonemenia?

I don't know. I somewhere read long time ago that the instruction was to get rid of the wax first with e.g. naphta and after that install the protector. Any experiences regarding this from other playfield protector users?

1 month later
    #318 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphcousman:

I install them on all my new games I like the play and the way they feel. I have a video on twitch if you would like to see one installed on a black knight pro from start to finish. Ok me for link. Don’t want to spam thread.

Hi! Do you wax the playfield protectors also, or just clean them? Thanks!

3 years later
    #384 1 year ago

Anyone experienced this kind of Newton Rings -phenomenon, where the playfield with protector looks like its suffering from smallpox or something similar?
    I got my game from a seller that claims to have installed the playfield protector before any games where played. To me the game looks like it suffers from dimpling and a playfield protector has just been installed on top of the dimples and that's why it now looks quite bad - like its having a smallpox...
    I felt the playfield protector with hand and it seems flat to me, so I don't thing the blotches come from any possible irregularities on the protector. On the other hand, after the playfield protector is in place, there should not be any new dimpling after that on the playfield, right?

Any other explanation for this or do you agree that dimples are the reason for this phenomenon? Is there any way to get rid of the blotches?

Any help from you is much appreciated, thanks!

IMG_4931 (resized).jpgIMG_4931 (resized).jpg
    #387 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

If you clean the playfield with naphtha prior to installing the protector this happens a lot less.
    For the rest nothing to worry about, just doesn’t look nice

I wonder if it would help, if I put some microfiber cloth with naphtha to a long ruler and tried to wipe the playfield with it? Anyone tried this?

6 months later
    #399 8 months ago

Playfield-protectors.com suggests blowing air under the protector to remove "wet spots" - has anyone tried this and what kind of experiences do you have?

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/docs/PP_QuickTip_Wet_Spots.pdf

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nepi23.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-reason-downside-to-playfield-protectors?tu=nepi23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.