(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 87 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 93 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 95 votes
      43%
    • No Opinion 33 votes
      15%

(221 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230729_112305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230729_112256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4931 (resized).jpg
    protector pic (resized).jpg
    IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#180 5 years ago

I've never ever considered a protector for a modern game with factory clear. To me these protectors are awesome for older games with sunken inserts. When I say older, I mean EMs and very early SS. I have had great success because it completely fixes the sunken inserts. Basically I clean the game to the max and blow any dust from the playfield with a compressor. Next I do basic touch up with a paint pen and simply put the protector on. This saves the hassle of clearcoating and saves tons of time. I like to wax the protector when I first put it on and then occasionally use liquid wax to clean and wax at the same time when it gets a little dirty. With a little care you keep the wax from under the protector. The game plays just as fast and without the cupped insert headaches.

I'm putting one on a Paragon right now and can't wait to play!

2 weeks later
    #188 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

I would say there is no way to tell once it was waxed.

I mentioned before that I have only used them on older games. Mostly EMs and recently Paragon to counteract the sunken inserts. I always wax them when I first put them in and they play FAST. Hard to imagine them actually slowing a game down...

The only downside that I have seen is caused by standing the machine on its back for transportation or long time storage. If the machine is not on its legs, the protector won't be sitting flat and can get into an odd position and maybe get a bend in it that won't sit flat when you put it back up on legs. Granted it would have to be a long term storage and the protector will lay flat again after a few days.

#199 4 years ago

I never use the foam pad for waxing. I use a 4 inch square of paper towel for pin point accuracy.

2 weeks later
    #260 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Nothing has been offered by jjp. They made stickers for WoZ. We're waiting for jjp to respond.

On WOZ the didn't even think to put mylar in the pop bumpers and they got eaten up. That was a terrible rookie mistake thinking their clear coat was somehow superior. All playfields need mylar in the pops. As for the problems with pirates, a playfield protector would not help at all. Playfield protectors are cut around the posts, so provide no protection for the area under the posts that are chipping in JJP POTC. This appears to be a combination of super cheap/defective posts that are sharp around the edges and possibly clear that is not properly cured.

Just to amplify a point that I tried to make earlier in this thread, I see the question of whether to use playfield protectors as two separate questions: 1) are they worthwhile on modern games that have factory clearcoat (1990+) and 2) are they worthwhile on older game with no clear, cupped inserts and other rough rolling spots on the playfield?

I have a collection that is equally split between newer and older games. I've never even considered putting a playfield protector on my Metallica, Star Wars or the NIB BK I just got, but I consider them a god send for my older games. My Paragon looks and plays amazing with the playfield protector. I'm just finishing up on a Joker Poker and can't wait to play it with a protector covering the cupped inserts!

So to me, I see no reason to put these on newer games, but I do understand people putting it on an NIB game to try and prevent dimpling. On the other hand anyone who answered this poll as "No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play", was hopefully not talking about older games!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-reason-downside-to-playfield-protectors?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.