(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 81 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 93 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 94 votes
      43%
    • No Opinion 33 votes
      15%

(220 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230729_112305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230729_112256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4931 (resized).jpg
    protector pic (resized).jpg
    IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I installed a PF protector on a NIB GBLE. (Ball never touched the PF) It took about 4 hrs to install it.

Damn really, Think I've installed about 25 so far and the nightmare I had with GB still haunts me. There were soooo many pieces that had to go on in specific order. Most other games are pretty simple... IMDN needed some tweaking, other then that.

Quoted from iceman44:

And I'd NEVER purchase a game with a PF protector on it.

They take less then 5 minutes to cut out. Took one out of my TOM, because of ball hang-up's (my fault partly, due to how I modified the protector)

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from beefzap:

Thanks for all the various comments and experiences.
    My main reason for considering this is for new Stern games to prevent playfield damage from day one. I would not put on an older B/W machine as I have not ever had one that had any damage/dimples/craters.
    My TWD looked not so good after ~100 plays and want to prevent that from happening on any new games.
    Sounds like about 50/50 as far as any negative effects.
    Getting BM66. Anyone installed one on a BM66? Installation easy? Which supplier did you use (not sure if there are multiple ones)?

The biggest thing with that game was re-leveling the turn table. Easier with two people.
    That one didn't have a lot that needed to be taken out.

Buy one, try it. If you don't like it take it back out, worse comes to worse you loose a 100 bucks.
    play 50-100 games put a light coat of wax. after that it's really hard to notice any kind of difference In my opinion. That is, unless your looking for stuff to be different then who knows what you'll find. The only things I've noticed are that it plays slightly faster. That and you won't hear the ball rolling noise, which is hard to notice with the glass on anyway.

Like the other guy said to, if you don't like the way it looks after X amount of plays. Take it out, not a big deal.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I can maybe see a use for this product if the inserts are so cupped it affects ball travel, or for dudes who are afraid of dimples, but other than that I'm at a loss.

For me it makes it a lot easier to clean/maintain on location.
    That and if I skip a cycle or three, my pins won't take the brunt of my neglect.

As for dimples, all playfields dimple.... its just on sterns it's a lot more apparent for whatever reason. I have a TNA and JJP without any protectors and they don't look anything like some of these sterns I've seen.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

On older games they can cause all sorts of problems - balls getting stuck being the main one.

Quoted from cottonm4:

If a ball is getting stuck it is because the protector was not cut correctly.

usually the case, most games can be adjusted to make sure this stops happening. (mainly a bigger issue if circles are cut to big on star rollover or pop bumpers).
    The one big improvement, is mylar doesn't interfere with ball play anymore. Annoying when a slow moving ball gets knocked off a course due to sling shot mylar.

1 week later
    #171 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Do you guys all have movement or is this one I bought from Germany cut crappy?

They all move to some degree, like whthrs166 said once you get it fitted just find a post or something. At the same time that might not work either, because it can cause the protector to kink and lift up. Most of the time you don't need to do anything, on occasion I'll use that double sided tape cliffy uses on his protectors in a few areas (that's only once everything is 100% assembled). It takes time to get it right, just make sure you do a light coat of wax after a few plays.

1 month later
    #246 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Dang. Thoughts on using a blowdryer maybe? Since I have no idea
    what those actually are, just stabbing in the dark. Which protector
    did you get? I ordered from playfield-protectors.com

if it's for your TOM I wouldn't worry about it, it's mainly a thing for new games.

1 week later
    #250 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

The conversation about the “wet spots” or newton rings has me really interested in a solution. protectors is there anything we can do to solve that? The concept of dusting the underside seems logical, but I wouldn’t want to put some kind of powder all over my machine.

Usually if the game is a few months old they are don't really show up anymore. Think it more has to do with the playfield cure time. I've tried all sorts of crap to prevent it and finally let nature take its course.

1 month later
    #270 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Wouldn"t it be plausible softwaxing the playfield and then put on the protector making the whole playfield a wetspot?

Na, it has something to do with the silicon, cleaner or something in the clear coat that spreads on the playfield from the factory.
    I've found that when I clean the crap out of it with Naptha there are less "wet spots", but they still exist.
    If you wait a few months and clean it regular, there will be almost no "wet spots".
    If you can wait or you don't care about dimples this is an option. I personally don't mind dimples, my reasons for installing are a bit different.

I didn't bother putting naptha on the last few and got some "wet spots" on the munsters lower playfield window. Which I've never seen before.

2 months later
    #298 4 years ago
    Quoted from C_Presley:

I installed one on a nib pin I’m planning to route and I must say I’m sold. I ended up doing every pin I own except DE Simpsons which is not available. I honestly think this is the best thing to hit pinball in a very very long time. Theoretically you can have a mint or almost mint playfield as long as you want! The protectors themselves from overseas are cut perfectly, spots where I was nervous about the edges lining up always came out perfect.

I've done just over 30 of them now.
    One important thing I've learned is to cut out the magnet hole especially on the games with smaller magnets. It usually takes 5-7k plays for a hole to open up on the protector and the cracks start creeping out beyond that. replaced on recently because of this. Also, I've might of had 5 that didn't need some form of alteration. They all need to be clipped/ground down slightly, because they are going over a washer or under a rail etc...

#302 4 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

The only reason I haven't cut it off is because it's a pain to do,

It's actually really easy, took me like 5 minutes on a game I had.

I don't know about slower, usually after an first wax (after 50-100 plays) it plays a little to wild. It's harder to do drop/live catches on, but I like the challenge so I'm fine with it. Before the wax and intial break-in period it doesn't play that well. Did before and after video of the last game I did. That was the main thing I observed along with the ball having a bit more spin. Almost the same thing as if a regular playfield was super waxed.

#306 4 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

A waxed playfield protector?
    Aren't you worried about getting wax underneath?

nope, I took one off a star trek after 7k plays due to the magnet thing I wrote about in a previous post. The playfield still looked brand new. There might be a little dust/debris/wax that gets under it, but it's not going to kill anything and wipes off. All that talk about particles grinding in the field under a protector is stupid.
    The playfield protector did it's job in the end.

#309 4 years ago
    Quoted from switch3:

There's one on a dialed in at a local arcade. Ball regularly gets stuck in the left end of the slit where Bob the builder moves back and forth. Have to wait for ball search for bob to move and knock the ball free. Usually the mode timer will run out if I'm in a mode. Pretty annoying. Also makes the phone scoop tighter.
    I'm pretty sure it's the German brand and it came pre installed from the German distributor.

There are some tweaks you need to do in order to get it to play right and so there are no ball hangup's (like adding plastic or building up to certain areas). I haven't done one to a dialed in, so I wouldn't know about that issue specifically. it all really depends on if the person installing takes the time or not.

#310 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

Would not recommend waxing, but they definitely need to have the adhesive cleaned off of the top of them before being played. If you ever have a new one do the "finger drag" test before and after using some novus 1 on a small area. It goes from slightly tacky to slicker than eel snot and will play like a freshly waxed playfield.

yup I agree that just cleaning it with novus after you take the protective coating off will make a difference and is probably good enough. I still like using a small amount of wax though, but only after enough small scratches have formed on the plastic. it's all about personnel preference I guess.

1 year later
    #375 3 years ago
    Quoted from Liftserv:

I bought a protector for my bad cats back in March from coin taker, it came rolled up in a box ( maybe 8 x 8 )

one thing I've learned about certain plastic products, is if you get them rolled in shipping your screwed pretty much. I got some protectors a long time ago from a dude and they still don't sit flat after years. you could heat it like mentioned about, but its risky.
    if they do come rolled lay them flat as soon as possible and you might stand a chance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-reason-downside-to-playfield-protectors?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.