(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 93 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 93 votes
      42%
    • No Opinion 33 votes
      15%

(219 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230729_112305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230729_112256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4931 (resized).jpg
    protector pic (resized).jpg
    IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#182 4 years ago

Guys.. I have some issues on my TOM playfield. Missing part of an insert, some wear on the main area of the illusion listing. I am getting the decals for the insert fixes and for the main area (above flippers). I believe (per the seller) that they are coated, so it sounds like I don't have to necessarily clear them. I am unsure how they will last. I am considering the product from playfield-protectors.com, has anyone else used this? Is it a valid, long term solution? Will it negatively affect gameplay? I know there are thoughts on both sides, I am just wondering if I am wasting my money or if this will really protect my fixes and keep me from wanting to replace the playfield.

#185 4 years ago

Hum. Thanks.. Quite the dichotomy of fans and haters.

#189 4 years ago

I went to a fellow pinsiders bar in TX and played games that ALL had the protector installed. No notice of any issues or changes in game play at all. I ordered one for my TOM to protect the playfield restorations and decals I am installing.

#198 4 years ago

Well, I bought the protector for my TOM from playfield-protectors.com and the decals to repair the playfield wear. I am going to have to remove the paint on the existing inserts so that's a bit nerve racking but I guess worst case I get a new playfield. I just have one insert to repair and then the main area overlay (on the illusions) which is where the paint has to be removed. I am thinking, combined with the cliffys, this could be a longer term solution (at a lot less time and money) than doing a pf swap.

#203 4 years ago

You could argue that clear coat is a protection for artwork. Protecting the clear coat from the ball with a removable, transparent piece of thin plastic that is hardly noticeable and if applied right should not interfere with play at all seems like a preference some collectors might make to preserve the playfield (remove it if you sell and brand new playfield or to protect an already ailing playfield. That is why I am adding one to my TOM, on top of adding some sticky decals to fix issues that I want to protect, I want to preserve the rest of the inserts from flaking.

Yeah, different surface, but there are also different clears people use and the playfield changes over time as it dimples, stretches, contracts, etc. My JJP POTC is already screwed up due to manufacturing issues, maybe a protector would have saved it. This is extremely true of my WOZ that had early issues with playfield flaking all around the pop bumpers. A protector would have saved those for sure.

#224 4 years ago

Welp, my protector from playfield-protectors.com just arrived (damn quick shipping from Germany). Now to get the playfield ready, it's already mostly stripped down. Waiting on decals.

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

So what year is it that clear coat became infallible and NIB games magically don't get wear anymore? Ever seen a diamond coat game with wear? An early 2000s stern? I have. Time plus ball rolling over playfield equals wear. In 2035 people will be like shit this Tron is only 800,000 space bucks I wish the playfield wasnt so roached. Fuck it I'm going to get in my flying teslamobile and pick it up.

My 2012 WOZ has crazy playfield wear around the pop bumpers (known issue) but my 1995 or whatever TOM has very little wear, one or two insert issues but otherwise excellent. I don't think it's any one thing that is consistent across every game.

#232 4 years ago

What was the application process like? Did the wet spots show up initially or after some time?

My playfield needs it either way, or I have to get a repro, so I am going to live with any spotting on it but wondering if it is related to install at all. I read the instructions for mine and it seems like it's more or less "slap it down" but I know for vinyl decals and such it is imperative that you smooth them down as you go. These don't look like air bubbles so maybe that isn't a thing.

#234 4 years ago

Dang. Thoughts on using a blowdryer maybe? Since I have no idea what those actually are, just stabbing in the dark. Which protector did you get? I ordered from playfield-protectors.com

#238 4 years ago

Ahh ok, interesting. Well, mine is going on an older game so hopefully won't see that. Was considering it on WOZ and JJPOTC but now not sure.

#242 4 years ago

Interesting. Anyone mentioned this to playfield-protectors.com (ironically the guy I spoke with is named Mirco, not the same as Mirco playfields.. I'm assuming this is the germany place durgee7 ordered from)?

#245 4 years ago

Yeah, either way I'm using the protector so moot point for me but if there is a way to resolve that would be nice.

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

if it's for your TOM I wouldn't worry about it, it's mainly a thing for new games.

Well, I have a JJPOTC and RR WOZ that are fairly new which I was sort of hemming and hawing about. On one hand they get minimal play, on another it would be nice to keep them relatively new.

1 week later
    #254 4 years ago

I sort of noticed that too at an arcade I was at that had all games done. Older games weren't as noticeable.

#259 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

The jjp pirates is the same. So many chipped clearcoat on playfields from them, and over 10k. Heard all they offered was stickers to cover up the damage. At least Stern offered customers new populated playfields with the Ghostbuster playfield issues.

Nothing has been offered by jjp. They made stickers for WoZ. We're waiting for jjp to respond.

#262 4 years ago

Thanks for posting that. I'm still debating if I spend the time to clear my TOM playfield after installing the decals or if I just put the protector on it. On one hand, it's almost completely stripped now so clearing won't be that hard to get setup. On the other hand.. I don't really want to I just did my JP playfield and it's a decent amount of work.

#264 4 years ago
    Quoted from wawa777:

You are welcome.
    For me it was a small risk to take - just try it and if it doesn't work, I can still adjust. I wasted money in worse ways...
    Guess it depends on your patience.
    I haven't got any for now. Maybe I'll reconsider in 2 or 5 years, when I played the heck out of the STTNG.
    If I compare it to Mylar it is a simple decision for me - so far, no idea how it will be in 2, 5 or 10 years.

The guys over in the restoration thread and in the SprayMax thread are enablers, lol.. they are getting me interested in clearing now. Apparently I can do it with all of the under playfield stuff on. I'm going to see what it will take, in terms of work. I still am doing the decal work on it now so I have some time to consider. Still have to put my JP back together since the playfield is all done now. I like the ease of the protector but I'm anal as fuck so I feel like I'd just take it apart soon to clear it.

#266 4 years ago
    Quoted from wawa777:

Definitely clear then... I’d guess that the edge of the protector around the slings will drive you crazy - all on its own.

This was one of my concerns but at the benefit of protecting my fixes and the playfield in general I was willing to live with it until I got a repro. But now that I'm *this* close to being able to spray it instead I figure that might save me from wanting a repro.

3 weeks later
    #269 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Wouldn"t it be plausible softwaxing the playfield and then put on the protector making the whole playfield a wetspot?

I could see that.

Now I'm NOT definitely putting down the protector, lol. I need to do some clear work before I can even do my repair so I think I'm just going to clear the whole thing. I just did my JP and had no real issues. So, yeah... protector for sale, I guess.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-reason-downside-to-playfield-protectors?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.