(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 87 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 93 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 95 votes
      43%
    • No Opinion 33 votes
      15%

(221 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230729_112305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230729_112256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4931 (resized).jpg
    protector pic (resized).jpg
    IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gatecrasher.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Wax the playfield regularly and change the balls regularly. You’ll never need the protector. People posting pics of abused destroyed play fields as if that’s something that will happen in a maintained HUO game are being intentionally misleading.

I have four HUO pins in my collection and three of them have playfield protectors on them. The gameplay has been dramatically improved on all of them (plus they look great too).

All of these HUO games have the original playfields except for one... the Rolling Stones. It has a fully assembled NOS Bally playfield that I removed from the original wooden Bally crate and installed in my pin. NOS but not without flaws in the insert heights and a few other minor cosmetic flaws. With the playfield protector installed (which took about 15 minutes to install) not only does it look better (almost like it is clear-coated) it also plays much better. Nice and smooth.

This is the best option for these type of machines with less than perfect (but still super-nice) OEM playfields.

I can always strip the playfield down and have it clear-coated. Nothing changes in that department. I can remove the protector in a matter of minutes and the game is exactly as it was when the protector was installed.

Don't knock these until you try one. You are only risking the cost of the protector but if you are like me with some ultra-nice original pins that you don't want to have the playfields clear-coated at this time, it's just the ticket.

#106 5 years ago

If I had to bet I'd guess that most of the responses were from people who never even tried one because the only possible negative from using one of these is the initial cost of the protector. The installation is fairly idiot-proof and the gameplay is nice and smooth afterwards.

They are fairly expensive (around $100) but as far as any other downside to them?

There are none because you can always just remove it in 5 minutes and you are no worse off than you were when you installed it.

The only thing you are risking by getting one of these is the cost of the protector. That's why I tried one out first. After that, I was on board for two more.

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Did you read the thread? People are saying the games play like shit. Lol.

Yeah I read the thread. But if you read my post you'd see that I have three of them. I'm not just trolling the thread. lol

They do not make my early SS games play like shit. The PET plays faster than Mylar. It's somewhere between a clear-coated playfield and one with a factory Mylar installed.

If the 1st one I bought would have made the game "play like shit" as you claim, I definitely wouldn't have bought two more a few months later.

The thing they are really nice for are sunken inserts. A playfield with sunken inserts plays like shit. Plus when you play games with sunken or un-leveled inserts playfield wear is dramatically accelerated around the edges of the inserts. Slap one of these babies on and it will play better and there will be no more wear.

What is the downside?

They cost $100. That's the only "downside" I can see.

Anyone else see any "downside" to buying one of these?

#151 5 years ago

If you want to talk about changing the gameplay just look what clear-coating does to a game that didn't originally have it.

No purist likes clear-coated playfields on older machines either. Way too fast.

The thing that is nice about the playfield protectors vs clear-coating is you can easily remove the protector in about 5 minutes. No harm done.

A playfield is only original once. Once you clear coat it, it will never be original again and the gameplay will forever be changed from the way it was originally designed to play.

With that being said, I still clear-coat some of mine.

1 week later
    #173 5 years ago

None of my protectors seem to move. At least not that I can notice.

Another thing to realize is that Mylar is Dupont's trade name for biaxially-oriented PET sheet. Mylar is PET sheet that has been physically oriented (stretched) in two directions.

PETG is also a member of the Polyethylene Terephthalate family of plastic resins but contains an additive which makes it a copolymer.

The physical properties are similar in some areas and differ in others.

So basically if you hate the PETG playfield protectors you automatically hate Mylar too along with automotive clear coating since all alter gameplay.

1 month later
    #200 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

yes, since its bonded to the PF and not floating. But no mylar is better. Lose mylar really sucks.

Do you have a playfield protector?

I do. I have three of them now with another on order.

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Congrats, I prefer to play my games as they were designed. I also don't have plastic on my couches.

It's just as I suspected.

If you don't really have one then you're just trolling.

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Having an opinion isn't trolling.

There's a big difference between having an opinion and pretending you know WTF you are talking about. lol

#223 4 years ago

Go buy one and then get back to us with an educated response.

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

no need to waste my cash. I've played on them. They serve a purpose and its not for a new field. its for a destroyed field to be playable. Since I don't have my money invested in this I don't need to cheerlead for it and can give an unbiased thought.

I bet you claim you can give an unbiased opinion on a lot of things.

I don't think you have to worry about being accused of "cheerleading" a product you've never tried. lol

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gatecrasher.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-reason-downside-to-playfield-protectors?tu=gatecrasher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.