(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 88 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 93 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 95 votes
      43%
    • No Opinion 33 votes
      15%

(221 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230729_112305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230729_112256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4931 (resized).jpg
    protector pic (resized).jpg
    IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider durzel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#178 5 years ago

I bought a restored TAF from Italy and the guy had put one on after installing a new Mirco playfield, which looks like its already clearcoated?. He took great pleasure in telling me that a ball has never touched the playfield.

I'm not sold. My TZ and Tron have been double waxed and they play fast and the paint looks really deep and glossy. My TAF on the other hand looks nice, but not as nice. Also, there are specks of dust underneath in a few places that I can't get to. On a couple of occasions the protector has ridden up slightly during a game, at which point you can see the ball "warping" the protector as it passes over it. I've even had the ball get stuck on the bookcase circle part once.

I feel like I can't clean my machine properly, which irritates me. If I try and wax the protector there is a chance I'll get wax underneath and it'll be impossible to clean up, so that's out too. The only saving grace really is that I'm not getting any wear on the ball drop area on Addams, which isn't adequately protected by a Cliffy (it drops before the rollover switch).

I think the next time I'm inclined to take the ramp off I'll probably cut it out..

1 month later
    #183 4 years ago

It's hard to know how you'll feel about it, everyone has a different perspective / tolerance level.

First off - having a playfield protector on means, obviously, your playfield is essentially untouched by the pinballs. This means no ball trails, smashed ball drop rollover switch holes, etc. But, the ball will wear and scratch the protector instead so it's not like its a panacea for wear & tear.

Playfield protectors can alter how a game plays. They will be slower than a waxed playfield, they will raise the floor of the playfield up slightly which might mean you have to adjust rollover switches, etc to compensate. They can create reflections that might be undesirable. They may trap dirt and debris underneath which would become difficult if not impossible to clean without removing it again, etc.

The TAF I bought had a brand new Mirko playfield with a full playfield protector fitted from new. The restorer made a big deal out of the fact that "no ball has ever touched the playfield". Initially I thought this was great, but it plays noticeably slower than my TZ and Tron which are double waxed. There are also a few areas where I can see dirt which I can't access, in one place in particular there is a wood splinter which actually forms a bump when you run your finger over it. There are also a couple of areas where grease, moisture or some other liquid sits between the protector and the playfield, which will never go away. It has on a couple of occasions lifted up slightly which has meant I've had to remove the glass to reposition it back down again.

I'm planning to remove mine when I get the chance, simply because my playfield is already clearcoated and the usage it gets does not warrant having the additional protection given by the protector. I tend to look at it as one of those "bonnet bra" (hood I guess in the States) which protects your car from stonechips at the cost of making it look terrible. You're compromising your own enjoyment of it for the benefit of the next owner.

#194 4 years ago

Regards protector waxing, how are people doing this? I've got carnauba wax and apply it using a foam pad, but even being careful it gets on star posts, etc. I can wipe this off easily enough, but with a protector I can imagine the liquid-state wax could get underneath it and then become impossible to remove?

#211 4 years ago

What are Newton rings?

Incidentally, here are a couple of photos of my TAF and TZ. TAF has a playfield protector on top of a clearcoated Mirko playfield, TZ just has a clearcoat. Both have PDI glass on so is a pretty accurate comparison I think.

IMG_2935 (resized).jpegIMG_2935 (resized).jpeg

IMG_2936 (resized).jpegIMG_2936 (resized).jpeg

IMG_2937 (resized).jpegIMG_2937 (resized).jpeg

It's hard to see but the TAF playfield protector reflects above the playfield light quite a lot more than a clearcoat does. The colours on TZ are more vibrant as well.

#215 4 years ago

Ah yes, I have seen those in places too. Assumed it was some kind of liquid underneath?

4 months later
    #300 4 years ago

I tend to look at this stuff as preserving your girlfriend (or boyfriend)'s chastity for the next partner, at the cost of your own enjoyment...

If you've got a clearcoated playfield, and have waxed it, what are you sacrificing to have the protector?

I've got a full Makrolon protector on my TAF (it was a mint restore and the restorer put it on there) and it plays markedly slower, and isn't as vibrant as my TZ and Tron which have just been waxed. The protector is somewhat reflective too, so I can see a reflection of the backbox in it. I can see it reacting to the ball rolling over it, sortof like a very slight distortion effect.

The only reason I haven't cut it off is because it's a pain to do, and it is ultimately there now and is protecting the playfield, and TAF in particular has a ball drop which can't be protected with a Cliffy, but to suggest it comes at zero cost at all is disingenuous I think. At the very least you are clouding the artwork mildly (no polycarbonate protector is completely transparent)

#301 4 years ago

This is the sort of stuff I'm talking about...

IMG_3242 (resized).jpgIMG_3242 (resized).jpg

I'm being quite pedantic, but because I actually enjoy double waxing my pins (I'm weird like that), little details like this are a bit of an annoyance to me. The reflectivity is probably the worst aspect, although you don't notice it during play.

#304 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

It's actually really easy, took me like 5 minutes on a game I had.
    I don't know about slower, usually after an first wax (after 50-100 plays) it plays a little to wild. It's harder to do drop/live catches on, but I like the challenge so I'm fine with it. Before the wax and intial break-in period it doesn't play that well. Did before and after video of the last game I did. That was the main thing I observed along with the ball having a bit more spin. Almost the same thing as if a regular playfield was super waxed.

A waxed playfield protector?

Aren't you worried about getting wax underneath?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider durzel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-reason-downside-to-playfield-protectors?tu=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.