(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 88 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 93 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 95 votes
      43%
    • No Opinion 33 votes
      15%

(221 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230729_112305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230729_112256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4931 (resized).jpg
    protector pic (resized).jpg
    IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider durgee7.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#231 4 years ago

I really like playfield protectors. I have one for Tmnt DE, Amazing Spider-Man Gottlieb (custom-made by me), and Deadpool Pro. My biggest issue is, after waiting almost 2 weeks to add a playfield protector to my Deadpool Pro NIB HUO, I am seeing more "Wet" areas. It's not a big deal, but I notice it more and more. Playfield Protectors, and another Pinsider, recommended I blow air between protector and playfield to remove the spots. I'm more concerned with introducing more dust and debris when trying to eliminate this minor issue. I'll give it a few weeks and see if the wet spots continue to annoy, or maybe I'll get used to the look. Gameay, to me, is as good as it was prior to the protector.

20190511_210608 (resized).jpg20190511_210608 (resized).jpg20190511_210615 (resized).jpg20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    #233 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

What was the application process like? Did the wet spots show up
    initially or after some time?
    My playfield needs it either way, or I have to get a repro, so I
    am going to live with any spotting on it but wondering if it is
    related to install at all. I read the instructions for mine and it
    seems like it's more or less "slap it down" but I know for vinyl
    decals and such it is imperative that you smooth them down as you
    go. These don't look like air bubbles so maybe that isn't a
    thing.

They didn't start showing up until 24 hours after install. They have been spreading for the last few days. Playing had led to increase in spotting. It pretty much concentrated at the lower side of the playfield. I vacuumed and prepped the playfield prior to install. I also confirmed that no wax or any other extras were added to the playfield, by calling stern directly.

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

unless you have the ability to change physics, you can't stop
    this. Its reflective interference, its not wet. You're getting
    reflections from the top surface of the plastic, the bottom surface
    of the plastic, and the PF. its optical interference.

There is one possible solution that I'm not trying: lightly dust underside of protector. It worked on a smaller scale (polarized sheet contacting lcd of gameboy dmg).

Also, could prep/clean clearcoat with novus 2 which could "roughen" surface?

I'm going to live with the spots, as long as there's no additional harm to my playfield.

#240 4 years ago

Dang. Thoughts on using a blowdryer maybe? Since I have no idea
    what those actually are, just stabbing in the dark. Which protector
    did you get? I ordered from playfield-protectors.com

I bought from playfield protectors of Germany. I still recommend the product. After over a year on my tmnt, it looks great and hasn't collected any noticeable dust between playfield and protector.

#244 4 years ago

Interesting. Anyone mentioned this to playfield-protectors.com (ironically the guy I spoke with is named Mirco, not the same as Mirco playfields.. I'm assuming this is the germany place durgee7 ordered from)?

Yeah, Sebastian of Playfield Protectors said it's due to the new paint, and to apply compressed air, or use hair dryer to remove the spots. I haven't tried it yet.

I'm still in agreement with the above statement regarding newton rings, light refraction...that stuff I can't control.

2 months later
    #273 4 years ago

I wanted to post an update to my custom made protector for Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man. I'm not convinced it's working out for this particular playfield. I bet a lot of the crap showing up is bits of old paint breaking off. I may need to clear coat this one.

20190716_152001 (resized).jpg20190716_152001 (resized).jpg20190716_152009 (resized).jpg20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    #277 4 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

That looks like dirt from the PF. Did you clean the PF properly With naphtha?

I thought my naptha cleaning was very thorough. I have vacuumed and naptha'd the crap out of it. I guess it can't be too clean if it's still leaving all that crud behind.

Pinball is new.

#279 4 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

Maybe its cus your a state fan........ just sayin.....
    It kinda looks like old wax

State Graduate to you!!! Westland is my hometown, btw. Yeah, it does look like old wax. Maybe I need to scrub harder.

Thing is...I need to be gentle on this playfield (see pic). I need to preserve the fragile looking paint. A clear coat could be in the works very soon.

Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #286 4 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

durgee7 what you are seeing is small impacts of airballs chipping away at the playfield paint and any residual wax or residue that was rubbed into it at the impact point. This is what these are designed for, especially on older games. Each one of those white dots would eventually lead to even more playfield wear and eventually bald spots without the protector in place. I only get this white dust on my old games, all of the modern games I make protectors for never see any of this after months in an arcade enviroment.

Thanks, Thrillhouse! That makes perfect sense!

I'm seriously considering a clearcoat (nothing excessive) to keep the remaining art from breaking off. Of course, I still want to use a protector on top. I could care less about "wet" spots at this point. I'll probably do another vacuum, naptha, vacuum, and then maybe clearcoat (all at home).

1 month later
    #287 4 years ago

Playfield paint is sealed in place. Playfield protector added on top. I'm happy with the result. Plays great. I'm happy!

Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #288 4 years ago

My playfield protector had a good run before collecting bits of white crap. I bet it happens each time I lift up the playfield for maintenance. There must be some flaking paint underneath some of the plastics. I hope the mylar keeps the paint protected from all that debris. I'm a little dissapointed but this should be expected.

20190920_202454 (resized).jpg20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    #290 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

If you have an air compressor, blow it under the protector. You can get 90% of that stuff out to one side then wipe it up. Don’t use canned air. The angle will cause freezing liquid to spray all over the play field.

Thanks, Aniraf! I'll use my compressor.

5 months later
    #336 4 years ago

A few months ago, I removed the playfield protector from my Data East TMNT for a cleaning along with playfield paint retouching project. I decided to use novus 2 in an attempt to shine/smooth out the protector playing surface. The ball now seems to move way too fast (if that's possible, or even a "thing").

Positive: Captive splinter shot is easier since ball travels at higher speed.

Negative: Entrance ramps and Orange Michelangelo Targets seem to be taking much more of a beating. Also getting more airballs.

Is it possible for the surface to be too slick? I went back and tried buffing the protector some more to remove any residual Novus 2 that may have been left. Also, I made sure to wipe the pinballs of any oil that was used during storage/shipping from Marco.

#338 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

A freshly waxed protector is fast. I like fast so that is right up my alley. Just don't Novus or wax it. It will get a little dirty but you can just dry wipe it once in awhile.

Excellent! I'll leave it alone. Maybe it was meant to play fast. Also, I made some entrance ramp protectors to slow down damage. Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider durgee7.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-reason-downside-to-playfield-protectors?tu=durgee7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.