New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 359 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 67 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 72 votes
      45%
    • No Opinion 21 votes
      13%

(160 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 33 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

protector pic (resized).jpg
    IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg
    newton rings (resized).jpg
    IMG_2937 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2935 (resized).jpeg

There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 66 days ago

What is the quick procedure for installing a playfield protector on a brand new playfield?

I assume:

1) Novus 1 on the playfield.
    2) Wax the playfield.
    3) Install the protector Novus 1 on the protector and wax or not wax the protector depending on preference.

I have a NOS clear coated playfield that was cc'd over the mylar. Not sure why this was done, but I feel better about having the playfield protector for the raised cc along the mylar edges, small raise though.

#352 66 days ago

Do NOT wax the playfield !!!

Yes clean it but not wax it. The wax is known to leave white residue over time under the protector.

#353 66 days ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I have a NOS clear coated playfield that was cc'd over the mylar. Not sure why this was done,

Polyurethane clear is compatible with the mylar rings and such. Pulling mylar can be a risk. I would, and have pulled the mylar from a couple of my play fields. but I don't think I would want the risk of pulling the mylar on your play fields.

2 months later
    #354 3 days ago

I recently received two protectors from Germany, one for Pinbot and one for Space Invaders. Just noticed that each one had a little lip all along the edge around the entire protector. Can anyone who has has one of these installed in their non-clearcoated pin long-term, have you noticed the edge digging into your playfield at all? This lip worries me, the protector may prevent all ball-caused wear, but if the lip digs into the playfield over time, that's going to be just as damaging.

#355 3 days ago

Can you post a photo?

Quoted from jibmums:

I recently received two protectors from Germany, one for Pinbot and one for Space Invaders. Just noticed that each one had a little lip all along the edge around the entire protector. Can anyone who has has one of these installed in their non-clearcoated pin long-term, have you noticed the edge digging into your playfield at all? This lip worries me, the protector may prevent all ball-caused wear, but if the lip digs into the playfield over time, that's going to be just as damaging.

#356 3 days ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Get a small jeweler's file or some 400 or 600 grit sandpaper and run it along the edges to remove the lip. Or you can contact the producer and see what happens.

#357 3 days ago
    Quoted from ralphcousman:

Can you post a photo?

Took several photos but I can't get the camera to focus well on that area, no matter what I do. This one below shows it a little, if you look at the reflection right above the "W" on the coating, and at the pointy part on the right side, that's light reflecting off the lip. These things are supposed to be perfectly flat from edge to edge, correct? The lip runs all around mine, and around every circle/void inside it, and on both sides.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Get a small jeweler's file or some 400 or 600 grit sandpaper and run it along the edges to remove the lip. Or you can contact the producer and see what happens.

The whole point of buying these pre-made was so that I wouldn't have to do any work to it, I might as well have cut my own. Plus there's no way running a file or sandpaper around the edge isn't going to damage it or keep the "clear" look to it. There's enough of a lip, on both sides of the protector, that not only do I do I catch my fingernail on it, but I can't even catch the edge of the protective plastic coating to peel it back so I can see exactly how bad the lip is. Will try getting in touch with the mfr. and see what they say.
    protector pic (resized).jpg

#358 3 days ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

The whole point of buying these pre-made was so that I wouldn't have to do any work to it, I might as well have cut my own. Plus there's no way running a file or sandpaper around the edge isn't going to damage it or keep the "clear" look to it. There's enough of a lip, on both sides of the protector, that not only do I do I catch my fingernail on it, but I can't even catch the edge of the protective plastic coating to peel it back so I can see exactly how bad the lip is. Will try getting in touch with the mfr. and see what they say.

Hence, my suggestion to contact the manufacturer. I have made several of my own protectors. It sounds like you still have the protective film still on. You can take file and run it along the edge at a 45 degree angle and removed the lip. A PIA? Yes. But it can be done.

You have 2 options. File it away. Or call the maker.

#359 3 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Hence, my suggestion to contact the manufacturer. I have made several of my own protectors. It sounds like you still have the protective film still on. You can take file and run it along the edge at a 45 degree angle and removed the lip. A PIA? Yes. But it can be done.
    You have 2 options. File it away. Or call the maker.

Yeah, sorry, that came off as a little curt. Just kinda pissed as I have to mothball my games again for a while before repopulating the playfields. Emailing them right now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 159.00
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Other
    Cento Creations
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside