(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 50 votes
      40%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 61 votes
      49%
    • No Opinion 13 votes
      10%

(124 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg
    newton rings (resized).jpg
    IMG_2937 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2935 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2936 (resized).jpeg

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 55 days ago

This is the sort of stuff I'm talking about...

IMG_3242 (resized).jpg

I'm being quite pedantic, but because I actually enjoy double waxing my pins (I'm weird like that), little details like this are a bit of an annoyance to me. The reflectivity is probably the worst aspect, although you don't notice it during play.

#302 53 days ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

The only reason I haven't cut it off is because it's a pain to do,

It's actually really easy, took me like 5 minutes on a game I had.

I don't know about slower, usually after an first wax (after 50-100 plays) it plays a little to wild. It's harder to do drop/live catches on, but I like the challenge so I'm fine with it. Before the wax and intial break-in period it doesn't play that well. Did before and after video of the last game I did. That was the main thing I observed along with the ball having a bit more spin. Almost the same thing as if a regular playfield was super waxed.

#303 53 days ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

I haven’t had the same luck. On at least half of the games I have installed them on, I was forced to make cuts in order to get a fit where the protector would lay flat. It hasn’t stopped me from using them, but it should be know.

Are you buying the ones from Germany? So far on Jurassic park, guardians and dredd it’s been fantastic for me. For example I was worried how it would line up with the hole where the trex eats the ball and it lined up perfectly. Sucks you guys are having issues though. I rotate my games from home use to my route so they get lots of plays. I most likely won’t route a game again without one, at least the games I plan on keeping forever.

#304 53 days ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

I don't know about slower, usually after an first wax (after 50-100 plays) it plays a little to wild. It's harder to do drop/live catches on, but I like the challenge so I'm fine with it. Before the wax and intial break-in period it doesn't play that well. Did before and after video of the last game I did. That was the main thing I observed along with the ball having a bit more spin. Almost the same thing as if a regular playfield was super waxed.

A waxed playfield protector?

Aren't you worried about getting wax underneath?

#305 53 days ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

If you've got a clearcoated playfield, and have waxed it, what are you sacrificing to have the protector

If you have an older game nothing...if you have a newer game,one word...DIMPLES... ............Joey

#306 53 days ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

A waxed playfield protector?
    Aren't you worried about getting wax underneath?

nope, I took one off a star trek after 7k plays due to the magnet thing I wrote about in a previous post. The playfield still looked brand new. There might be a little dust/debris/wax that gets under it, but it's not going to kill anything and wipes off. All that talk about particles grinding in the field under a protector is stupid.
    The playfield protector did it's job in the end.

#307 52 days ago

There's one on a dialed in at a local arcade. Ball regularly gets stuck in the left end of the slit where Bob the builder moves back and forth. Have to wait for ball search for bob to move and knock the ball free. Usually the mode timer will run out if I'm in a mode. Pretty annoying. Also makes the phone scoop tighter.
    I'm pretty sure it's the German brand and it came pre installed from the German distributor.

#308 52 days ago

Would not recommend waxing, but they definitely need to have the adhesive cleaned off of the top of them before being played. If you ever have a new one do the "finger drag" test before and after using some novus 1 on a small area. It goes from slightly tacky to slicker than eel snot and will play like a freshly waxed playfield.

#309 51 days ago
    Quoted from switch3:

There's one on a dialed in at a local arcade. Ball regularly gets stuck in the left end of the slit where Bob the builder moves back and forth. Have to wait for ball search for bob to move and knock the ball free. Usually the mode timer will run out if I'm in a mode. Pretty annoying. Also makes the phone scoop tighter.
    I'm pretty sure it's the German brand and it came pre installed from the German distributor.

There are some tweaks you need to do in order to get it to play right and so there are no ball hangup's (like adding plastic or building up to certain areas). I haven't done one to a dialed in, so I wouldn't know about that issue specifically. it all really depends on if the person installing takes the time or not.

#310 51 days ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

Would not recommend waxing, but they definitely need to have the adhesive cleaned off of the top of them before being played. If you ever have a new one do the "finger drag" test before and after using some novus 1 on a small area. It goes from slightly tacky to slicker than eel snot and will play like a freshly waxed playfield.

yup I agree that just cleaning it with novus after you take the protective coating off will make a difference and is probably good enough. I still like using a small amount of wax though, but only after enough small scratches have formed on the plastic. it's all about personnel preference I guess.

#311 48 days ago
    Quoted from C_Presley:

Are you buying the ones from Germany? So far on Jurassic park, guardians and dredd it’s been fantastic for me. For example I was worried how it would line up with the hole where the trex eats the ball and it lined up perfectly. Sucks you guys are having issues though. I rotate my games from home use to my route so they get lots of plays. I most likely won’t route a game again without one, at least the games I plan on keeping forever.

Yeah, I buy them from playfield-protectors.com. Most of the time they are pretty good, but I've had a few situations where they need adjustments. I've shaved off parts on Pinbot, Oktoberfest, Black Knight Sword of Rage (LE), and Twilight Zone. The most major of the adjustments came in the form of Black Knight SOR's flail ramp. I found that with the fully waxed plastic on there, that shot became very difficult. I ended up just cutting it off, and it played perfectly again.

#312 48 days ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

I've had the same exact experience. People tell me how the protectors cause too much spin, or slow the game down. After they are waxed and worked in, I can't see any difference other than my playfield stays wear free. It is interesting to hear you say that about drop/live catches. I'm going to have to test that and see if I notice it as well.

#313 45 days ago

I have a downside. I just put one on a LOTR and sheesh it took a long time.

Really, a good chunk of it was installing / adjusting the full cliffy set. Peace of mind about being able to play the crap out of this thing without any damage is well worth it. I may have brain problems though.

3 weeks later
    #314 22 days ago

When installing the playfield protector , are the pop skirts the same size as the holes in the protector?

#315 21 days ago
    Quoted from chad:

When installing the playfield protector , are the pop skirts the same size as the holes in the protector?

The protector holes are slightly smaller, but you can push the protector over them. The only thing you need to remove on pops are the caps.

#316 21 days ago

Thanks!

#317 21 days ago

I install them on all my new games I like the play and the way they feel. I have a video on twitch if you would like to see one installed on a black knight pro from start to finish. Ok me for link. Don’t want to spam thread.

#318 21 days ago
    Quoted from ralphcousman:

I install them on all my new games I like the play and the way they feel. I have a video on twitch if you would like to see one installed on a black knight pro from start to finish. Ok me for link. Don’t want to spam thread.

Hi! Do you wax the playfield protectors also, or just clean them? Thanks!

#319 21 days ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

It’s a similar material to newer car headlights. You can play for a very long time but it will eventually dull a bit. You could polish it up easily when this happens. I have over 1000 games on my Metallica and it’s still fine no issues.

#320 21 days ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

I wax them the same way I would a playfield. It makes them really slick.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Flipper Parts
    TheDudeMods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 14.95
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside