I got a #STTNG, which was quite mylared and the Mylar was bubbled.
It impacted the ball slightly in the upper playfield because there were different pieces applied, partially overlapping and sometimes the ball was redirected or hopping over the edge.
I pulled it with heat, which went very well. When removed I think I found the main reason for it - a few scratches around the flippers and the right orbit.
At the moment I would like to play it and not spend a lot of time in a restoration (thorough, cleaning also of subways etc., replacing all rubbers, rebuild of flippers and other work were done), so I also tried a protector.
I am positively surprised. It fits perfectly, no adjustments were needed, it is hold down tight by the ramp flaps and looks great on the art and hides the few playfield issues quite well. There is no rippling or rainbow effect.
Gameplay is much better than with the Mylar and I don’t notice any big differences compared to my AFMr (unless the latter is freshly waxed, then it is a bit faster).
I don’t think that the analogy with the plastic wrapped couches is fair, but it could also be me, who just doesn’t notice the nuances (I do recognize the difference on a plastic wrapped sofa though).
So my personal vote is on “good solution under certain circumstances”. It is probably not the purist thing to do and might not work for everybody, but it does the job for me for now. It is easily reversible and looks quite good in my eyes. I can still clear coat later when I have more time and patience...