(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 287 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by durgee7
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 44 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 51 votes
      49%
    • No Opinion 10 votes
      10%

(105 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg
    newton rings (resized).jpg
    IMG_2937 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2935 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2936 (resized).jpeg
    Paragon PF Large.jpg
    IMG_0213 (resized).JPG

There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 4 months ago

From an operator's perspective:

Completely unnecessary. Even on route. ESPECIALLY for new games. They are built for this. The last games with truly trashed playfields were from the early 80s. Anything from the 90s on is totally fine without a protector.

Caveat: Some older EM and SS machines that had varnished playfields instead of clearcoated ones, and are now destroyed, need a little surgery.

Option one is a new playfield, but those are expensive, and tedious and time consuming to install.

Option two are these protectors, but these should be a last resort, because they are removable, and they do cause issues like ball hangups and can affect general play. The much better version of these are the hardtop overlays, with the art reprinted on them, and adhesive underneath. Because they are anchored down to the playfield, and cover every little bit of the former playfield, they are the superior option. They take a little more finesse to install and are more expensive, and are only available for a few games as of now. But much better.

However, these are all for emergency surgery to save a game. Never as a precaution. If a game plays nice and is in nice condition, you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your game, you won't ruin it by playing it without the expensive condom. Like others have said before: wax your playfield, and change your balls and you will be fine.

#202 4 months ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Do you have a playfield protector?
    I do. I have three of them now with another on order.

Congrats, I prefer to play my games as they were designed. I also don't have plastic on my couches.

#203 4 months ago

You could argue that clear coat is a protection for artwork. Protecting the clear coat from the ball with a removable, transparent piece of thin plastic that is hardly noticeable and if applied right should not interfere with play at all seems like a preference some collectors might make to preserve the playfield (remove it if you sell and brand new playfield or to protect an already ailing playfield. That is why I am adding one to my TOM, on top of adding some sticky decals to fix issues that I want to protect, I want to preserve the rest of the inserts from flaking.

Yeah, different surface, but there are also different clears people use and the playfield changes over time as it dimples, stretches, contracts, etc. My JJP POTC is already screwed up due to manufacturing issues, maybe a protector would have saved it. This is extremely true of my WOZ that had early issues with playfield flaking all around the pop bumpers. A protector would have saved those for sure.

#204 4 months ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

From an operator's perspective: .

From a different operators perspective, a new game with a protector will continue to look better, have a higher resale value, or be in better condition for home use if it has a protector on it. Plus they're easier to clean.

#205 4 months ago

I've heard a couple stories about Big Lebowski slings getting decimated. With some of these rarer titles that probably aren't getting a second set of slings I'd do anything to hedge my bets.

#206 4 months ago

They change the game play a lot!!! And not for the better IMO.

They are junk.

#207 4 months ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I've heard a couple stories about Big Lebowski slings getting decimated. With some of these rarer titles that probably aren't getting a second set of slings I'd do anything to hedge my bets.

I think you are thinking of the plastic protector/washers that people put under elevated plastics. This is about the full loose plastic sheets people are putting on the playfields.

#208 4 months ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

From a different operators perspective, a new game with a protector will continue to look better, have a higher resale value, or be in better condition for home use if it has a protector on it. Plus they're easier to clean.

Maybe to the folks who like said things. We have never paid a premium for a game that had a protector on it. But the poll here is split as to their value or lack thereof. Their true value is to someone who worries about these sorts of things. The value lies in giving that type of buyer, collector, operator, etc piece of mind. If someone worries about it, then the money spent to ease their mind should be worth it. There is no real irreversible downside to having one of these on your games. I don't see them as useful, so I don't have them. But to alleviate a more anxious collector, it seems like a small price to pay (relatively)

#209 4 months ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Congrats, I prefer to play my games as they were designed. I also don't have plastic on my couches.

It's just as I suspected.

If you don't really have one then you're just trolling.

#210 4 months ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

Anybody with a solution on how to get rid of Newton rings when installing the PF protector? I have a protector on my DI installed at factory without any Newton Rings -phenomenon and then there are two pins where I've myself installed the PF protectors and there is the Newton Ring -phenomenon very visible. I had cleaned both PF:s before with naphta, if I recall correctly.

I would like to see a solution for this as well. Something must be sticking, but I cannot figure out what.

#211 4 months ago

What are Newton rings?

Incidentally, here are a couple of photos of my TAF and TZ. TAF has a playfield protector on top of a clearcoated Mirko playfield, TZ just has a clearcoat. Both have PDI glass on so is a pretty accurate comparison I think.

IMG_2935 (resized).jpeg

IMG_2936 (resized).jpeg

IMG_2937 (resized).jpeg

It's hard to see but the TAF playfield protector reflects above the playfield light quite a lot more than a clearcoat does. The colours on TZ are more vibrant as well.

#212 4 months ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

It's just as I suspected.
    If you don't really have one then you're just trolling.

Having an opinion isn't trolling.

#213 4 months ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

What are Newton rings?

Most commonly seen on translights. Ever see a translight that looks like its got water in spots between it and the glass? That's the newton rings, it's a reflection interference issue between the surfaces.

#214 4 months ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

What are Newton rings?

They are rainbow colored and look like this ...

newton rings (resized).jpg
    #215 4 months ago

Ah yes, I have seen those in places too. Assumed it was some kind of liquid underneath?

#216 4 months ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

Ah yes, I have seen those in places too. Assumed it was some kind of liquid underneath?

it can be, but pins are usually dry and its just physics.

#217 4 months ago

For me, playfield protectors are about as dorky as velcro shoes.

#218 4 months ago

I have no time for shoelaces.

#219 4 months ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

I have no time for shoelaces.

Not going to lie, I wear the crap out of my slide-on Sketchers.

#220 4 months ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

Yes, on my pins it looks exactly like there are blobs of liquid under the PF protector. Somewhat annoying.

#221 4 months ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Having an opinion isn't trolling.

There's a big difference between having an opinion and pretending you know WTF you are talking about. lol

#222 4 months ago

I don't have to pretend, I do know. And others here have agreed.

#223 4 months ago

Go buy one and then get back to us with an educated response.

#224 4 months ago

Welp, my protector from playfield-protectors.com just arrived (damn quick shipping from Germany). Now to get the playfield ready, it's already mostly stripped down. Waiting on decals.

#225 4 months ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Go buy one and then get back to us with an educated response.

no need to waste my cash. I've played on them. They serve a purpose and its not for a new field. its for a destroyed field to be playable. Since I don't have my money invested in this I don't need to cheerlead for it and can give an unbiased thought.

#226 4 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

For me, playfield protectors are about as dorky as velcro shoes.

Nice avatar

#227 4 months ago

So what year is it that clear coat became infallible and NIB games magically don't get wear anymore? Ever seen a diamond coat game with wear? An early 2000s stern? I have. Time plus ball rolling over playfield equals wear. In 2035 people will be like shit this Tron is only 800,000 space bucks I wish the playfield wasnt so roached. Fuck it I'm going to get in my flying teslamobile and pick it up.

#228 4 months ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

So what year is it that clear coat became infallible and NIB games magically don't get wear anymore? Ever seen a diamond coat game with wear? An early 2000s stern? I have. Time plus ball rolling over playfield equals wear. In 2035 people will be like shit this Tron is only 800,000 space bucks I wish the playfield wasnt so roached. Fuck it I'm going to get in my flying teslamobile and pick it up.

My 2012 WOZ has crazy playfield wear around the pop bumpers (known issue) but my 1995 or whatever TOM has very little wear, one or two insert issues but otherwise excellent. I don't think it's any one thing that is consistent across every game.

#229 4 months ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

no need to waste my cash. I've played on them. They serve a purpose and its not for a new field. its for a destroyed field to be playable. Since I don't have my money invested in this I don't need to cheerlead for it and can give an unbiased thought.

I bet you claim you can give an unbiased opinion on a lot of things.

I don't think you have to worry about being accused of "cheerleading" a product you've never tried. lol

#230 4 months ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I bet you claim you can give an unbiased opinion on a lot of things.
    I don't think you have to worry about being accused of "cheerleading" a product you've never tried. lol

so you can't read?

#231 4 months ago

I really like playfield protectors. I have one for Tmnt DE, Amazing Spider-Man Gottlieb (custom-made by me), and Deadpool Pro. My biggest issue is, after waiting almost 2 weeks to add a playfield protector to my Deadpool Pro NIB HUO, I am seeing more "Wet" areas. It's not a big deal, but I notice it more and more. Playfield Protectors, and another Pinsider, recommended I blow air between protector and playfield to remove the spots. I'm more concerned with introducing more dust and debris when trying to eliminate this minor issue. I'll give it a few weeks and see if the wet spots continue to annoy, or maybe I'll get used to the look. Gameay, to me, is as good as it was prior to the protector.

20190511_210608 (resized).jpg20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    #232 4 months ago

What was the application process like? Did the wet spots show up initially or after some time?

My playfield needs it either way, or I have to get a repro, so I am going to live with any spotting on it but wondering if it is related to install at all. I read the instructions for mine and it seems like it's more or less "slap it down" but I know for vinyl decals and such it is imperative that you smooth them down as you go. These don't look like air bubbles so maybe that isn't a thing.

#233 4 months ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

What was the application process like? Did the wet spots show up
    initially or after some time?
    My playfield needs it either way, or I have to get a repro, so I
    am going to live with any spotting on it but wondering if it is
    related to install at all. I read the instructions for mine and it
    seems like it's more or less "slap it down" but I know for vinyl
    decals and such it is imperative that you smooth them down as you
    go. These don't look like air bubbles so maybe that isn't a
    thing.

They didn't start showing up until 24 hours after install. They have been spreading for the last few days. Playing had led to increase in spotting. It pretty much concentrated at the lower side of the playfield. I vacuumed and prepped the playfield prior to install. I also confirmed that no wax or any other extras were added to the playfield, by calling stern directly.

#234 4 months ago

Dang. Thoughts on using a blowdryer maybe? Since I have no idea what those actually are, just stabbing in the dark. Which protector did you get? I ordered from playfield-protectors.com

#235 4 months ago

Although they look wet, they are not actually wet spots, so not
    sure what you can do to eliminate them. Does not make sense to me
    that they appear in some spots and not others.

I have a playfield protector on my WOZRR which was installed and
    shipped from JJP when I got my machine NIB. I have a "wet" spot on
    my castle playfield, but no where else on the entire machine. I
    have blown air under the playfield protector and it did not help at
    all. When the plastic is lifted some, there is no spot to be seen,
    but as soon as it makes contact with the playfield in that spot
    again, it reappears.

I put a playfield protector on my Flash when I did a full shop
    on it and never had a single wet spot.

I have the exact same "wet spots" in between my SS translite and
    the back glass at the upper area of the head and they always appear in the same spots where the
    translite makes contact with the glass. Nothing wet underneath it
    and no oil or residue of any sort. It is just some sort of strange
    phenomenon that occurs.

#236 4 months ago

The reason it’s showing up on your Deadpool and not the other
    games is because the clear on it is relatively thick and smooth, so
    the two materials are immediately and completely pressed up
    together, and they each refract light in different ways/angles,
    causing the newton rings. On your older games, the pf is less smooth and is worn, so the two materials
    are not so closely aligned, so the refraction is not apparent

#237 4 months ago

Dang. Thoughts on using a blowdryer maybe? Since I have no idea
    what those actually are, just stabbing in the dark. Which protector
    did you get? I ordered from playfield-protectors.com

unless you have the ability to change physics, you can't stop this. Its reflective interference, its not wet. You're getting reflections from the top surface of the plastic, the bottom surface of the plastic, and the PF. its optical interference.

#238 4 months ago

Ahh ok, interesting. Well, mine is going on an older game so hopefully won't see that. Was considering it on WOZ and JJPOTC but now not sure.

#239 4 months ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

unless you have the ability to change physics, you can't stop
    this. Its reflective interference, its not wet. You're getting
    reflections from the top surface of the plastic, the bottom surface
    of the plastic, and the PF. its optical interference.

There is one possible solution that I'm not trying: lightly dust underside of protector. It worked on a smaller scale (polarized sheet contacting lcd of gameboy dmg).

Also, could prep/clean clearcoat with novus 2 which could "roughen" surface?

I'm going to live with the spots, as long as there's no additional harm to my playfield.

#240 4 months ago

I bought from playfield protectors of Germany. I still recommend the product. After over a year on my tmnt, it looks great and hasn't collected any noticeable dust between playfield and protector.

#241 4 months ago

Hmm - I have wet spots on my Houdini and Alien. Both playfield protectors are from playfield-protectors.com. I have factory installed PF protector on DI without the wet spots - I have no clue of the manufacturer of the protector there.

#242 4 months ago

Interesting. Anyone mentioned this to playfield-protectors.com (ironically the guy I spoke with is named Mirco, not the same as Mirco playfields.. I'm assuming this is the germany place durgee7 ordered from)?

#243 4 months ago

Have wet spots on both pinballs where I have a protectors.
    In both cases (woz and ghostbusters) playfield was installed directly by distributor.

I have to say though that I'd rather have wet spots than dents in my new pfs

#244 4 months ago

Interesting. Anyone mentioned this to playfield-protectors.com (ironically the guy I spoke with is named Mirco, not the same as Mirco playfields.. I'm assuming this is the germany place durgee7 ordered from)?

Yeah, Sebastian of Playfield Protectors said it's due to the new paint, and to apply compressed air, or use hair dryer to remove the spots. I haven't tried it yet.

I'm still in agreement with the above statement regarding newton rings, light refraction...that stuff I can't control.

#245 4 months ago

Yeah, either way I'm using the protector so moot point for me but if there is a way to resolve that would be nice.

#246 4 months ago

if it's for your TOM I wouldn't worry about it, it's mainly a thing for new games.

#247 4 months ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

if it's for your TOM I wouldn't worry about it, it's mainly a thing for new games.

Well, I have a JJPOTC and RR WOZ that are fairly new which I was sort of hemming and hawing about. On one hand they get minimal play, on another it would be nice to keep them relatively new.

#248 4 months ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

I have factory installed PF protector on DI without the wet spots - I have no clue of the manufacturer of the protector there.

Playfield Protectors also makes (or made) the protectors JJP uses.

#249 4 months ago

The conversation about the “wet spots” or newton rings has me really interested in a solution. protectors is there anything we can do to solve that? The concept of dusting the underside seems logical, but I wouldn’t want to put some kind of powder all over my machine.

#250 3 months ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

The conversation about the “wet spots” or newton rings has me really interested in a solution. protectors is there anything we can do to solve that? The concept of dusting the underside seems logical, but I wouldn’t want to put some kind of powder all over my machine.

Usually if the game is a few months old they are don't really show up anymore. Think it more has to do with the playfield cure time. I've tried all sorts of crap to prevent it and finally let nature take its course.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 35.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    $ 218.00
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 19.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside