(Topic ID: 237468)

Is there any downside to playfield protectors?

By beefzap

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is there any downside to playfield protectors?”

• No Downside, a good investment 93 votes
      42%
    • No way, not needed to protect damage and might affect play 93 votes
      42%
    • No Opinion 33 votes
      15%

(219 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230729_112305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230729_112256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4931 (resized).jpg
    protector pic (resized).jpg
    IMG_3242 (resized).jpg
    20190920_202454 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-115018_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114956_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190719-011035 (resized).png
    20190531_155003 (resized).jpg
    20190531_155010 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205441_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190716_152001 (resized).jpg
    20190716_152009 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
    20190511_210608 (resized).jpg

There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 5 years ago

Getting a BM66 and a Munsters. I see these protectors are reasonable price wise and advertised as easy to apply and easy to take off.

If you do take them off I assume the playfield will not be damaged during that process?

Given the dimpling issues it seems like an easy decision to just do it and eliminate the dimples.

Any experiences with these and details would be appreciated.

Examples:

https://pu-parts.com/batman-66-playfield-protector

https://cointaker.com/products/iron-maiden-pro-playfield-protector-stern-pinball

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/22/Playfield%20Protectors?page=2

#2 5 years ago

They are a lot of work to put on or take off, and they affect gameplay. Sometimes they can be really bad on gameplay. I would tell you all day don’t use them in home use. The dimpling is way overblown IMO, it doesn’t affect gameplay and you don’t really notice it unless you’re really looking for it.

#3 5 years ago

Believe they are just a plastic sheet that lay on top of pf. You have to remove practically everything on pf so that would be a pain. I would also worry about debris getting under it and scratching pf. Don't really understand point of these on a clearcoated pf.

#4 5 years ago

Everything just feels better wrapped in plastic. I mean if it’s good enough for Grandma’s couch...go for it!

#5 5 years ago

They do change how a game feels but you kind of adjust. If it makes you feel better about playing your game I say go for it.

#6 5 years ago

Unnessasary in a home use game. Changes the way game plays.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from beefzap:

If you do take them off I assume the playfield will not be damaged during that process?

There is no adhesive on the back of these playfield protectors. Don't confuse this product with mylar.

I installed a playfield protector on POTC and it just lays on top of the playfield. Wax the protector just like you would a playfield.

#8 5 years ago

If you plan on installing it on a new game, do it before you play your first game.

#9 5 years ago

My buddy put one on his TZ and it played terrible. Really changed the game. Now it could have been that his game needed further tweaking. He ended up removing it and installing a new playfield.

Another friend installed a protector on a NIB Dead Pool and Iron Maiden. In both cases, it hasn't changed the play at all. I really like the protectors for new Sterns.

For those that say a protector in not needed in home, I disagree. I've seen HUO Sterns, most notably a couple of Trons, with wear on inserts. Without a doubt, Stern playfields are not up to the quality that Williams were especially newer Sterns.

#10 5 years ago

These are best for older games with cupped inserts where you want a one day not 6 month of effort solution

#11 5 years ago

Put one on a STTNG that I replaced a Playfield in. I hated it and eventually removed it. Game play was significantly different

#12 5 years ago

Put one on a Getaway that I'm putting on location. The getaway already had some insert wear and a little checking. It wasn't that difficult to install...don't understand the complaints about having to remove everything....you should be doing that anyway for a proper shop job and wax. The plus, for an older game it really makes the playfield pop and looks like a newly clear coated machine. I haven't noticed any game play change so also a plus. The only minus, I can see over time it will probably trap debris, but it's no different than a thorough shop job...remove it clean under it, and put it all back together.

#13 5 years ago

So I played a BM66 at Pintastic17 that had one of the protectors on it. Thought it was a great idea and have since purchased a few for some of my machines.
    On a new Machine with all the gadgets it can be overwhelming to disassemble the playfield to install but I think it's worth it. On older machines that you really like but has sunkin inserts and paint loss and don't want travel the new playfield swap road, this is an excellent alternative.
    Without any doubt I feel the ball is faster on these protectors. Less friction is my thought as times I swear I have seen the ball slide instead of rolling.
    I have no regrets buying and installing.
    -Mike

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Believe they are just a plastic sheet that lay on top of pf. You have to remove practically everything on pf so that would be a pain. I would also worry about debris getting under it and scratching pf. Don't really understand point of these on a clearcoated pf.

They used to put little plastic rings around pop bumper skirts. That had mixed results.

Quoted from pookycade:

These are best for older games with cupped inserts where you want a one day not 6 month of effort solution

There's one on the Nine Ball I just picked up & it plays great. Cupped inserts are no longer prone to wear around the edges & the ball rolls evenly.

#15 5 years ago

*Edit* Tacky joke removed.

I installed a playfield protector on JD and BH. There is a difference, especially a lack of sound, but nothing that fundamentally changes the game. I’d use one again on a game with cupped or worn inserts.

#16 5 years ago

I installed a PF protector on a NIB GBLE. (Ball never touched the PF) It took about 4 hrs to install it. Some games it can take longer. (CV took 6hrs) It is the solution to dimpling on the new style PFs. It does change the game play in a subtle way which never bothered me. They are much easier to remove. You just cut them off. I have not had any dirt under the protectors on my games but it really is proportional to how clean you keep you games. I like fast game play so I tend to angle my PFs more and the protectors speed up the game play a bit more on top of that.

#17 5 years ago

Purists who also insist on removing mylar hate them. I have one and after a full teardown resto i opted to clean, wax, and reinstall. I cant really tell the difference in gameplay. Its all personal preference though. You may hate it or love it.

#18 5 years ago

I've got a pf protector on my No Fear: Dangerous Sports and I must say: I don't notice it much while playing. But then again I bought it with the machine and never played it without it, so don't listen to me lol..

#19 5 years ago

Dust from the coils will find its way in between the protector and the playfield. The game play is different. I would only install one if; I had an older game with cupped inserts and playfields weren’t reproduced for the title, playfield on an older game is in bad shape and again there is no aftermarket repro playfield available

#20 5 years ago

ZERO chance I'd put a PF protector in for all of the reasons described above.

And I'd NEVER purchase a game with a PF protector on it. HUO, don't need it.

If you ever played your HUO enough to get to the worn out stage you can simply replace it with a Micro of get it re cleared and better than new.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I installed a PF protector on a NIB GBLE. (Ball never touched the PF) It took about 4 hrs to install it.

Damn really, Think I've installed about 25 so far and the nightmare I had with GB still haunts me. There were soooo many pieces that had to go on in specific order. Most other games are pretty simple... IMDN needed some tweaking, other then that.

Quoted from iceman44:

And I'd NEVER purchase a game with a PF protector on it.

They take less then 5 minutes to cut out. Took one out of my TOM, because of ball hang-up's (my fault partly, due to how I modified the protector)

#22 5 years ago

Love these, the best choice for keeping older games original.

#23 5 years ago

Would you want to walk into an arcade and have all the games with playfield protectors installed? It’s just not right.

#24 5 years ago

Not a fan at all. Better question. Is there any upside to installing a playfield protector?

Do some of you guys truly think the pinball should never touch the playfield?

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Damn really, Think I've installed about 25 so far and the nightmare I had with GB still haunts me. There were soooo many pieces that had to go on in specific order. Most other games are pretty simple... IMDN needed some tweaking, other then that.

They take less then 5 minutes to cut out. Took one out of my TOM, because of ball hang-up's (my fault partly, due to how I modified the protector)

I get that, but they don't make protectors for all the coils, switches and mechs under the PF. Can lead to some deceptive selling practices!

For older games that you want to preserve, maybe i guess?

#26 5 years ago

Playfield protectors are the worst thing that ever happened to this hobby. SMH

#27 5 years ago

Only for on route i would do it
    I did two for home machines, it plays different and i think its not worth the work.
    To little plays to justify, buy some good wax and some cleaner and every year new balls.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Is there any upside to installing a playfield protector?

- Preserves original look of older playfields
    - Provides a level surface over cupped inserts or the edges of lower playfield windows
    - Protects against wear from kickout holes, ball drops
    - Much cheaper than a new playfield or clearcoat.
    - Less work than a playfield swap or strip for clearcoat
    - Look great
    - Peace of mind
    - Company is easy to deal with

#29 5 years ago

If available, just go for the playfield swap. Never a disappointment.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Not a fan at all. Better question. Is there any upside to installing a playfield protector?
    Do some of you guys truly think the pinball should never tough the playfield?

Do you install cliffy protectors?

#31 5 years ago

Why is a sprayed on layer of basically clear plastic any different than a sheet of clear plastic??

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

And 3, 2, 1..........here comes Kaneda chiming in

And NO Chris, you aren't getting a dime more because of it when you sell that BM66SLE.

I don't install Cliffy's, I use other methods for selective small areas

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Why is a sprayed on layer of basically clear plastic any different than a sheet of clear plastic??

For one thing, coil dust and all other sorts of grime and crap don't get caught underneath it.

Wax it, change your balls and you are good for LIFE.

Life is WAY too short to be worrying about full blown PF protectors, it takes it way too far imo.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And 3, 2, 1..........here comes Kaneda chiming in
    And NO Chris, you aren't getting a dime more because of it when you sell that BM66SLE.
    I don't install Cliffy's, I use other methods for selective small areas

If you're calling me Kaneda, then those are fightin' words....I was into pinball before that dude was a wet spot in his daddy's drawers.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

If you're calling me Kaneda, then those are fightin' words....I was into pinball before that dude was a wet spot in his daddy's drawers.

LOL, not you brother, I know this will pop up in his next podcast pumping up PF protectors

#36 5 years ago

IMO, these are fine, there is a slight feel difference. A good option for someone not wanting to restore but preserve. I have played them on classic SS titles and new games. They feel fine. No harm in using one. I see no reason to overreact one way or the other.

Cliffys are fine too, they do a great job preventing wear on high traffic areas, easy to install and relatively inexpensive. There is a reason Cliff is often weeks behind on his orders, he makes a great product.

#37 5 years ago

The old saying applies here..."to each his own"

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Somewhat diff'rent as we've all played W/B with scoops totally blown out and doing real damage.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Somewhat diff'rent as we've all played W/B with scoops totally blown out and doing real damage.

Yes but many install them to prevent damage....I do.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Yes but many install them to prevent damage....I do.

Yeah that's what I meant. You could play a game 100,000 times and not damage the PF at all, but those holes will get blown out

#41 5 years ago

I’ve put one on a white water and a whirlwind. Both played the same. WH2O was original playfield. Whirlwind was a new CPR. Despite the naysayers, you will see wear in home use with a repro playfield.

They’re not super easy to install (tear down required) but if you care and not afraid to tear down your game correctly to clean, it’s really no extra work.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah that's what I meant. You could play a game 100,000 times and not damage the PF at all, but those holes will get blown out

I'd love to see ANYONE who has ever come close to dropping 100k plays on any pin!

HUO? I doubt people would even get close to 20k. Come on Law!

You ain't blowing holes out HUO.

The dudes putting PF protectors on a game don't play them anyhow for fear of damaging it somehow (older games excluded). And wear surgical gloves while flipping too so as to not affect the flipper button area.

#wasteofmoney

#43 5 years ago

I'm wondering if these playfield protector people do a full vinyl wrap on their cars so they dont get paint chips lol

#44 5 years ago

My bally star trek with over 500 plays with Cpr playfield and a playfield protector from day one after rebuild. I only wipe it off every now and then. No coil dust underneath nothing trapped underneath nothing. Very happy with it

Took about 30 minutes to install

20190302_191953 (resized).jpg20190302_191953 (resized).jpg20190302_192003 (resized).jpg20190302_192003 (resized).jpg20190302_192012 (resized).jpg20190302_192012 (resized).jpg20190302_192019 (resized).jpg20190302_192019 (resized).jpg

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

My bally star trek with over 500 plays with Cpr playfield and a playfield protector from day one after rebuild. I only wipe it off every now and then. No coil dust underneath nothing trapped underneath nothing. Very happy with it
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You only have 500 plays on it. Report back when its up to 20k

Older games have much less to remove

Beautiful pin btw

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I'm wondering if these playfield protector people do a full vinyl wrap on their cars so they dont get paint chips lol

I did but that’s because I wanted a matte satin finish. :p But I don’t use PF protectors.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You only have 500 plays on it. Report back when its up to 20k
    Older games have much less to remove
    Beautiful pin btw

Thanks for the kind words. I'll work on getting the total games higher.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I know it's not the same but it makes me think of those god awful bras people used to put on cars. The idea was to protect the paint but they looked so dog ugly. At some point you just accept there will be a nick or ding and just live with it. Once you get that first ding it's actually a relief. You can now just enjoy it for what it is and no worries.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I know it's not the same but it makes me think of those god awful bras people used to put on cars. The idea was to protect the paint but they looked so dog ugly. At some point you just accept there will be a nick or ding and just live with it. Once you get that first ding it's actually a relief. You can now just enjoy it for what it is and no worries.

And alot of the car bras held moisture and actually did more damage.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'd love to see ANYONE who has ever come close to dropping 100k plays on any pin!
    Come on Law!

*sigh* Yes I understand that, that was kind of the point. Even with that many games you wouldn't hurt a PF. If you want to see chipping holes after 1 day check in the Dialed In thread.
    EDIT: Although I didn't put one on mine

There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-reason-downside-to-playfield-protectors/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.