(Topic ID: 275579)

Is there any real innovation left in pinball ?

By pookycade

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is pinball still innovative ”

• Hell yes, you just aren’t paying attention to all the new things going on 105 votes
      70%
    • Meh, not really, but still luv me some TMNT 45 votes
      30%

(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (1)_LI (resized).jpg
    936646E4-9EB2-42C3-AABB-1D8A8ED70F2C (resized).png
    i_got_yer_innovation (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 3 years ago

These innovation threads always end up the same... because people don't give the real innovators real props.
    Multimorphic has been mentioned several times... in many threads; yet... "innovation" is still considered missing by many.
    I can only assume the people asking the question can't really define innovation.

Stern only believes that innovation means more money per title lines their pocket. Cost innovation.
    JJP... idk; how much money can they ask per machine (regardless of their bom cost)?
    Spooky; they seem to be innovating on themes right now. (not that that's a bad thing).
    American Pinball; still innovating on building a business model.
    CCG; re-releasing games with beagle-boards as the brain is not innovation.
    Deeprot (no; that isn't a typo... the rott is real)... innovating on shipping their vaporware.
    DutchPinball - lol

I haven't mentioned Multimorphic; because they appear to be the only ones really innovating across the board. Innovating Software, Hardware, Games, technical support, warranty, there is just so much going on in that company you really owe it to yourself to really set down with the platform. Alas; I can already hear the "but"s coming from those that really haven't taken the time to see what they are up to.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Why not introduce a ton of randomness by adding more older technology and create a more dynamic experience?

Because... the competitive players would crucify the game. Randomness = unpredictability... which is a negative. a big one.
    Not saying it's fair... but how many NIB buyers are competitive players? too many.

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

change your pinball experience one iota.

Can't agree less on that topic.
    Have you taken part in a CCR or Heads up tourney over Wifi?
    If not; then I don't think you know what you're talking about - an haven't actually tested the capability.

#150 3 years ago

People like claiming horses are dead... when they are infact undead.

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

marriage of real pinball and a video game is executed

Nothing like a video game... not sure how you came to that conclusion.
    So; it has a video screen - that doesn't make it a videogame any more than a slot machine with a video monitor makes it that machine video game.
    The difference is that the ball rolls on a large monitor as apposed to a piece of wood on the lower 2/3rds of the Playfield.
    Any fan of the "fan layout" should feel right at home on a P3.

Seriously; a 3rd party just needs to design a fan layout game; reverse print the PF gfx on a piece on lexan with a unique fan layout upper module ... do it as a license - and 90% of the people would never figure out "it's different".

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Gerry is either unusually nice or he has a very good poker face, I can't work out which it is

Both. It's both.
    I've spent many a pinball show with this Gerry joker... he really is nice. And he also has good poker face. He's a good engineer too. Smarter than me.

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from sebgrinke:

start)
    - Open the software up so anyone can develop for it (there could be an emulator so developers don't have to buy the actual tables) - does P3 support this?

Yes.

#274 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Oh, baloney. Routines to energize solenoids, etc. could have failsafe timeouts and sanity checks to prevent overheating if the hobbyist programmer does something dumb.

So... this isn't real, true opensource.
    Because you'd have to "close source" the "critical functionality"... so that customers can't defeat the "failsafe".... which would lead to questions of it's open source nature.

Simply put; 99% of the titles out there are *LICENSED* properties. They will never-ever be open sourced. Give that up now.
    Even the 1% which aren't licensed; but original themes wouldn't be open sourced either because for all the reasons Levi gave. Support nightmare. More importantly; what vendor wants to give a competitor the opportunity to "knock off" a pin by providing the source for free?

The only way this works is for YOU to use something like Multimorphic's dev kit to develop your own pin... figure out how to have it made; then opensource the pin yourself. I don't see anyone in their right mind going thru all the work to develop full game; only to "give it away".

Some of Multimorphic's customers are developing their own games... but usually as software-only updates to existing PFs. Those are the only ones who may release their game as a binary- I don't think any have agreed to opensource anything.

#300 3 years ago
    Quoted from sebgrinke:

How about a device that stops the balls falling out if you lift the playfield with them still in the trough?

ya mean this?
    https://www.pinballlife.com/passive-ball-stop.html

#310 3 years ago
    Quoted from sebgrinke:

"300" thanks for the link! will that bracket work on a Stern Star Trek Premium

I honestly do not know.
    I'm guessing no.

#313 3 years ago

Let's keep you honest... it's only $149 if you already have a Cosmic Cart Racing playfield module. Otherwise it's $2499+149 for the module and the game. If you don't have a P3... then it's IDK. $10k + 149?
    Not trying to rain on your parade. $149 is very reasonable - if you already have CCR.

#318 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

In context though - you get BOTH CCR 2.0 and RITR if you have to buy the playfield module.

That wasn't the point I was making.
    $149 only gets you the game if you already have the Cosmic Cart Racing PF.
    I don't. so it would get me nothing but software that I cant use.
    I was just making sure that people to auto-assume that the P3 is compatible with Ranger In The Ruins ... in every case.

The *only* reason I don't have RITR is that I can't afford to pony up for Heist much less Cosmic Cart Racing at this point due to covid and stupid management issues at my day job.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-real-innovation-left-in-pinball-?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.