(Topic ID: 275579)

Is there any real innovation left in pinball ?

By pookycade

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is pinball still innovative ”

• Hell yes, you just aren’t paying attention to all the new things going on 105 votes
      70%
    • Meh, not really, but still luv me some TMNT 45 votes
      30%

(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (1)_LI (resized).jpg
    936646E4-9EB2-42C3-AABB-1D8A8ED70F2C (resized).png
    i_got_yer_innovation (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 3 years ago

Option C : I don't care.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

To be fair, the $10K+ price of admission has prevented a lot of us from even having played one.

Would love to try it out but I've never even seen one, that's my issue.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Um, P3 also has this solved.

So did Interflip Dragoon.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There will be no innovation.

It's a strange conundrum. Nothing is innovative to half the people, and the other people think things that have already been done decades ago would be innovative now.

#61 3 years ago

Shot Multipliers have been around for a long time, but GOT & SW took it to the next level.

They were rewarded with tears aboot pinball including points & having to push a button a button on a fucking pinball machine FFS.

#64 3 years ago

The question is what can you reliably do mechanically to really impress people these days?

More complexity to mechanical pieces on the PF I guess could be interesting but what is left to do? Ships have sunk and rocked, balls shoot into trunks and hit by a hammer under a the PF, whats left? Bring ball walkers back? Do you guys just want a little or like a mousetrap/rube goldberg situation?

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

The big display is fun for a bit, but with a home use game the scenes get old really quick. I flip past all the Elvira scenes in EHoH already. They are just too long and flipping past them keeps the game moving.

That isn't the displays fault, it's the programing; same as DMD era stuff.

#79 3 years ago

Powerfield so great.

Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

How bout a game that has the ball purposely smack the glass

Basically have that with Wh20 although they say it wasn't made that way

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Kinda like asking why laser tag isn't part of a Renaissance Fair

Don't give them any ideas! Places are already over run with Pirates.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I'd just like to see someone come up with a stand-up target that absorbs impact and doesn't rocket the ball against the glass or down the drain.....I've searched all weekend and found zilch,zero, nothing to be had

Vari-targets

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Why does everything that interacts with the ball have to be a flipper ?

Flipper, targets, other balls, magnets.. all present. Can you explain how to fully realize the concept you're describing a bit more?

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Always wondered if the manufacturers could combine a traditional horizontal playfield layout, with a vPinball vertical playfield (think Pacinko meets vPin) on the backglass.

I'm sure they could...would it be popular? The issue might be trying to find people that like both real & virtual pinball.
    Updated/expanded hybrid of Banzai/pac

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can’t wait for the collective sigh when you all finally get it.

Once again you gotta know your audience. 10,000+ posts on "how do I update my machine," What USB stick do I use," "Um having problems updating..."

Etc

#190 3 years ago

When we saw Pin2K we knew pinball was over.

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL ...but hey, I still love my RFM, so

Sure RFM makes a lot more sense now than it did then. RFM at least had positive things going for it...Then Ep1 came out with a thud.
    Sad times.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

VR seems like a fad that is disappearing like a fart in the wind....

I wouldn't count it out just yet. If the ps5 with am actual wireless headset had make a move it MIGHT be big. Right now wires is a big fuckkng headache

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

except the guy who only has room for 4 machines and a big closet.

Yep....that's one guy

#282 3 years ago

Spinners are basically worthless point wise so one lifting up or dropping...what's the point

#286 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's kind of a combo wonka lock hole mech/totan spinner thing. Looks pretty cool actually.

Sure but the spinner is just along for the ride. Looks cool indeed.

#302 3 years ago
    Quoted from sebgrinke:

How about a device that stops the balls falling out if you lift the playfield with them still in the trough?

Way old

#305 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

1999 or so eh

Quoted from Sjsilver:

1999! But that was only last deca...

Decades before that

#307 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That *particular* one was created for Pin2K. There probably are other machines with that feature.

Yes there are other machines before 2k, which is why i said it, and which makes it not innovative

Was P2k's right flipper crank only the first one? I'll take that all day

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-real-innovation-left-in-pinball-?tu=thelaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.