(Topic ID: 275579)

Is there any real innovation left in pinball ?

By pookycade

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is pinball still innovative ”

• Hell yes, you just aren’t paying attention to all the new things going on 105 votes
      70%
    • Meh, not really, but still luv me some TMNT 45 votes
      30%

(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (1)_LI (resized).jpg
    936646E4-9EB2-42C3-AABB-1D8A8ED70F2C (resized).png
    i_got_yer_innovation (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 3 years ago

Thanks for the shout out Kkoss24 ! Funny thing about that cam’d lower playfield is that at first I thought I was innovating but then found out kaboom already had fully implemented such a lower playfield in his Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy homebrew, which he’s currently converting to pinball 2000 style.
    In the end I was lucky he had because he set me straight after struggles with web cam lag.

Homebrew is nice in that there’s no deadlines and you set the budget. Kaboom has done some crazy mechs — rotating disc with 3 pop bumpers?! He’s extended the coverage of the Pin2000 monitor effect across most of the upper playfield band I believe the lower as well. His divertors that create all kinds of shot paths are insane. Double ball feeds from trough to each inlane. Bunch of other stuff..

zacaj has done some crazy cool ball save ideas I love.

Sonic’s loop-de-loo (ok, technically done once on pinball magic).

I think pinball companies to some degree have to reuse a lot of what makes pinball pinball, and why we enjoy it. But usually there’s a few elements that are fresh or a bit innovative that they could afford to develop and throw in. Cracking clear coat for example. Mega-crater dimpling .. they’ve designed machines to continue evolving even after off the line and fully built!

Kidding aside, there’s not enough money in it to justify going all out on innovation vs staying fairly safe and taking baby steps. Unless you’re multimorphic. Then you go all out, and take a leap over A chasm and nail it!

1 week later
    #195 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This doesn't remind you of a video game you've maybe seen before (if you turn off the volume you can't hear him call it "...like Asteroids with pinball.")?

Again, I think the main issue why I just don't enjoy playing these as much as I wish is that the lower two-thirds of the playfield is barren of any physical/mechanical elements apart from the flippers & slings. I'm also just not a fan of the wall of popups that separate the screen part of the playfield from the mechanical part. Again, I've played these pins a few dozen times over the last 3-4 years at TPF, and they always seem to draw a crowd, but they just don't do it for me me.
    The Metamorphic pins are full of innovation, but I'm just not sure they will have the same following/popularity that standard pinball has (pure speculation on my part as I have no idea what their unit sales are. However, I wish them nothing but success because any innovation that sustains the hobby is a good thing, IMO.

Yep I think it’s fine that some people aren’t into P3, some are.

The lower 2/3 though, beyond the point that a number of ‘Standard’ games Don’t have elements in the lower 2/3 either and are tons of fun, I’m still looking towards more floating mechs that could/will be implemented in that area. The crane extending into that space is awesome.

#234 3 years ago
    Quoted from sebgrinke:

lol thanks for the feedback

If you want to play tiny pinball, buy a family guy pin. After a bit you will see why tiny pinball didn’t take off.

But if your into the kit idea, I think you should homebrew a pin in between tiny ball bearing size and regular pinball for fun! Maybe you could work the Bluetooth speakers in too! Then bring it to the NW show .. assuming it goes thru in 2021..

#269 3 years ago

There’s really no incentive for a company like stern to do this .. is it going to sell more units because a hobbyist can tinker with some code aspects or rules? Maybe a couple? I would say that right now P3 has the best approach to this - being that you can scratch code a module. This is awesome, but again, the # of people that would do this is limited and really at zero benefit to stern or whatever company offered it other than p3 and the way it creates value for them

#299 3 years ago
    Quoted from sebgrinke:

How about a device that stops the balls falling out if you lift the playfield with them still in the trough?

Been invented but that costs from their bottom line..

Piece of foam stuffed in the hole before lifting solves the problem though.. I always gave a couple floating around the pin room

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-real-innovation-left-in-pinball-?tu=mbecker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.