(Topic ID: 275579)

Is there any real innovation left in pinball ?

By pookycade

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is pinball still innovative ”

• Hell yes, you just aren’t paying attention to all the new things going on 105 votes
      70%
    • Meh, not really, but still luv me some TMNT 45 votes
      30%

(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (1)_LI (resized).jpg
    936646E4-9EB2-42C3-AABB-1D8A8ED70F2C (resized).png
    i_got_yer_innovation (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#147 3 years ago

I guess I am not sure why modern pinball machines don't have wifi capability. Modern juke boxes already that. If you made a high score, it could post to a common location somewhere, assuming you wanted to do that. Operators could monitor games remotely to see if there are any errors and give refunds without being near the machine. All these selfie leagues would not be required. It could also lead to discussions on strategy on machines with deep rule sets and such while you are still playing a game. I know machines at major tournament have the scorebit device that relays back play data, but why not a similar type connection for new machines, already built in? Perhaps you could play against another person, at another location, on an identical machine, without even having to be there. Just a thought. Seems like all the technology with cameras and such already exists on some machines anyway. Perhaps you could enter a tournament against many people simultaneously, without ever leaving your house. Machines like Dialed In, already have a camera, not that I want my selfie taken continuously. Just one more step to connect to wifi continuously. Any updates required to the code could be made automatically, or just by allowing the code update to happen with answering a question like that with "yes". No more memory stick insertion and such.

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I guess I am not sure why modern pinball machines don't have wifi capability. Modern juke boxes already that. If you made a high score, it could post to a common location somewhere, assuming you wanted to do that. Operators could monitor games remotely to see if there are any errors and give refunds without being near the machine. All these selfie leagues would not be required. It could also lead to discussions on strategy on machines with deep rule sets and such while you are still playing a game. I know machines at major tournament have the scorebit device that relays back play data, but why not a similar type connection for new machines, already built in? Perhaps you could play against another person, at another location, on an identical machine, without even having to be there. Just a thought. Seems like all the technology with cameras and such already exists on some machines anyway. Perhaps you could enter a tournament against many people simultaneously, without ever leaving your house. Machines like Dialed In, already have a camera, not that I want my selfie taken continuously. Just one more step to connect to wifi continuously. Any updates required to the code could be made automatically, or just by allowing the code update to happen with answering a question like that with "yes". No more memory stick insertion and such.

Another possible advantage of having the machine connected to wifi, assuming it is legal, is that you could login to some account and purchase credits on the machine online, using a code of some type for that particular machine, using a credit card. No more quarters in the slot or dollar bills in the bill acceptor. I think a lot of people would like that better anyway, because they could play without having to put more money in the machine, using their online account and hauling around a heavy pocket full of quarters. There is likely some problem doing this, because I have never seen it done before. The closest thing would be some machines that have a device on the front that reads a card that you purchase at a kiosk. It is conceivable that the machine could even remember you when you return and allow the login on the machine quickly, that links to your online account. A credit card slot on the machine is not out of the question either.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-real-innovation-left-in-pinball-?tu=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.