(Topic ID: 275579)

Is there any real innovation left in pinball ?

By pookycade

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is pinball still innovative ”

• Hell yes, you just aren’t paying attention to all the new things going on 105 votes
      70%
    • Meh, not really, but still luv me some TMNT 45 votes
      30%

(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (1)_LI (resized).jpg
    936646E4-9EB2-42C3-AABB-1D8A8ED70F2C (resized).png
    i_got_yer_innovation (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 3 years ago

pinball in 2020 makes the peaks of the 1990s machines seem so old and limited in comparison.
    RGB lighting, LCD screens, and a focus on deep rulesets has sparked a lot of pinball joy.

THAT SAID,
    I don't really know where pinball will go forward from here. The current wave of excellent machines will probably start feeling stale after 5 more years of releases like JP, DP, Met, JJPPotC, and TMNT. (I'm assuming)

P3 is definitely the most notable innovation and is brimming with future potential, Heist being their first truly killer game.

But thinking of more traditional platforms like Stern, I'm not sure what might be the next gamechangers there.
    I guess embedded internet connectivity and the innovations that can spur?

I really like the first post's mention of slot machines, where yeah it's basically the same thing over and over with just themes swapped in and a few aspects changed around.
    You see this in Japan with the pachinko and pachislo industry as well.
    With the gambling industry, if it's not broke you don't fix it, so those mainstays will just keep getting churned out.
    (Japan has lots of innovation when it comes to gambling though, like check out there immersive horse track machines! https://kotaku.com/awkward-adventures-in-segas-digital-horse-racing-game-1798615738 )

Will pinball get to a point where the inherent layouts are absolutely exhausted? That feels like a question they were also asking back in the 1960s.
    It feels like a question that Pinball 2000 and P3 took the most seriously.
    But I'm not sure if it's an existential threat to the hobby itself, at least for the next decade.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

[quoted image]

this rules and also A+ for theme integration there

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Oh, believe me, it's a very live horse that is developing and growing. People are developing new games right now on the P3 using Internet connectivity in different ways. In bingopodcast's new game Ranger in the Ruins, "when you lose a game, if your P3 is connected to the Internet, some 'ghost' data will be written, which can then allow you to appear within another's game". Internet connectivity brings a whole host of new interactive gameplay options and they are not all about competing. Players on different machines could work together, for example, in an online co-op game. It would be a little close-minded to dismiss all the fun and interesting possibilities because you are worried that someone is going to cheat against you in an online tournament.

I could envision a P3 game based off table-top RPG campaigns and you join different parties (different groups of players around the world) and have to build up stats over the course of a month. Each player could log in to the campaign once per day and put in a game and that effects the entire party's progress and status.

maybe you do one game for that party per day, but you could simultaneously be part of a number of entirely different campaigns with different groups of people. so advance your first story, log that game, then move on to the next story you're involved in.

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

I think major league sports would make good licenses for P3. Imagine NFL where you can pick your favorite team as main theme then even go head to head with opposing rival teams. My machine would be locked on Buffalo Bills and would love somebody from NY Giants for a rematch.

Any franchise that can harvest real-time data has potential.
    Fantasy Football is apparently a big thing. It might be a nice flourish to have a game that incorporates those kinds of daily updates.

#205 3 years ago

Here is some innovation in pinball: a company representative that understands pinside and doesn't fall into it's traps!

#235 3 years ago

this hobby is 90 years old, we're jaded, crusty, and wise.

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from djd9617:

Could have an option to leave out the expensive mechs behind the coin door to save cost.

tbh I'm not sure why that hasn't been an option for a while. Just a flat door at the front where you could install a proper door if need-be, but no reason to actually include the coin mechs and coin box for the home environment

#251 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My god these ideas are all horrible.
    You people are embarrassing yourselves.

I'm thinking we should go back to roto-targets and vari-targets

#255 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The greatest "innovation" of the past 50 years regarding this is Stern taking 20-30 pounds out of their pinball machines over the last decade.

We moved a JP2 down my precarious stairs and it was noticeably better than moving a 90s Williams machine. On Williams machines to make the difficult turn easier I would often remove the playfield from the cab to make it more manageable.
    hallelujah

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-real-innovation-left-in-pinball-?tu=cait001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.