(Topic ID: 275579)

Is there any real innovation left in pinball ?

By pookycade

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is pinball still innovative ”

• Hell yes, you just aren’t paying attention to all the new things going on 105 votes
      70%
    • Meh, not really, but still luv me some TMNT 45 votes
      30%

(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (1)_LI (resized).jpg
    936646E4-9EB2-42C3-AABB-1D8A8ED70F2C (resized).png
    i_got_yer_innovation (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CLEllison.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#129 3 years ago

I've been saying the exact thing as the OP for years. Innovation feels dead.
    Most notable changes through out the years:
    You had hybrid cross over machines (granny and the gators and baby pac)
    Added spinning targets (introducing dynamic instead of static game play)
    Added magnets (introducing dynamic instead of static game play)
    Added magna save
    Added CRT ALA Pinball 2000 (didn't change game play)
    Added LCD screens (didn't change game play)
    Added wireless (and still can't figure out how to do a Firmware check and automatically update a pin? Yikes) (doesn't change game play)

The P3 allows more dynamic game play because of it being largely software based but even then it doesn't really trip my trigger as it still feels too static.
    Why not introduce a ton of randomness by adding more older technology and create a more dynamic experience? Subways with diverters so you never know what kick out you'll have the ball come from? Add a motorized kick out? Add a motorized coil plate that can change ever so slightly and launch balls out of a kick out differently due to English on the ball? I'm just spit balling but any deviation from the static game play would be welcomed with open arms by me.
    And maybe, just maybe people aren't really wanting any real change and are happy with basically having new machines that are either a fan layout or stop and go. I feel like everything these days is basically the same machines with just different artwork and different toy.

I know the more they add the less money they make and potentially the more problems that can occur. The last thing OPs need is problems in the field.

If I was Gary Stern I'd run a contest and if your idea is selected then the first pin that uses your technology would be shipped to you for free as a thank you. Allowing community input would generate so much enthusiasm.

#199 3 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

The misconception that the P3 is "largely software based" is perhaps the most difficult one to break. The software capabilities continue to expand, but the machine is packed full of physical features, just like the one you suggested. It has 8 playfield VUKs built-in and ready for use under each playfield, and every ball that goes into any hole can be diverted to any one of the VUKs. How the game software makes use of that is up to the developer, but games like LL-EE and Heist route balls to unexpected places fairly often (and oftentimes instantaneously). Heist also has diverters on pretty much every one of the 7 flowing shot paths to change the game flow depending on the mode.

I felt that way too - so I started a company to do something different. If you're a fan of traditional pinball with really cool interactive toys, check out Heist, Lexy Lightspeed - Escape from Earth, and Cosmic Cart Racing 2.0. If you or your friends prefer something outside the box, check out the arcade and internet gameplay options in Cosmic Cart Racing, with racing heats and online head-to-head racing, or Cannon Lagoon. If you like pitch and bats, try out Grand Slam Rally. If you want to get your young children into pinball, try out Barnyard. If your teenagers gravitate to video games, show them ROCs. All together, we're up to 4 playfield modules and 10 game apps, and more are in development!

- Gerry
    https://www.multimorphic.com

I wanted to extend a huge thank you for such an excellent well thought out and most importantly "neutral" stance that you took. Actually before I made the first post I had "literally" watched a video on Heist. IMHO that is to date the best game you've made congrats! While I did previously mention your company, the "innovation" comment was aimed more towards the traditional pinball. I mean absolutely no disrespect with the following. The scrolling video and popups would challenge me and not in a good way. Same way I don't add a pinduino system. The additional bling bling is a serious distraction for me and stresses me out so a purchase isn't likely for me UNLESS you landed my dream theme which is Harry Potter. My daughter would make me buy it lol. Thank you again Gerry I wish you and your pin family great success!

Quoted from chuckwurt:

What licensed theme would you like to see P3 do that you’d pay 10k for?

HARRY POTTER! I'd literally pay $15K if it was actually super dynamic and had more than one bash toy.

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

Controlling a video game with pinballs and flippers is pretty innovative, no? ROCs has turned many video-game-playing kids of pinheads into at least part time pinball players. I'd call that a win. Barnyard does a similar thing for younger kids.
    At the same time, most P3 games have more physical elements than most other modern NIB machines, and cool physical mechs that interact with the ball are a big focus during our game design:

I'm a pinball player. That's what I love. That's why we spent so much time and money making sure the physical mechs worked well, even when floating over a video screen. Heck we've been doing this for 8 years now, and there are a lot fewer people dumping on our efforts. Many who used to do so have even turned into customers. Everything about the P3 is better today than it was 8 or 6 or even 3 or 4 years ago, and it already implements many of the feature requests floated in this thread, and we're working on more. Further, every new game or feature we come out with is available to all existing P3 owners; that's pretty innovative too. We reward customers for owning the machine, whereas every other pinball manufacturers, when push comes to shove, would prefer you sell your machines and buy their newest ones.
    If the P3 doesn't interest you today, no worries. If you change your mind later, you'll still be able to enjoy every game and feature in the catalog.
    - Gerry
    https://www.multimorphic.com

Seriously that's something to be PROUD of! Cock - a doodle - doo a little louder you deserve it!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CLEllison.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-real-innovation-left-in-pinball-?tu=CLEllison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.