(Topic ID: 84732)

Is there any place to buy software updates on a memory stick?

By KenPin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by KenPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Not real tech savvy. Is there any place to buy WOZ 1.24 update and 2.0 update already on a USB memory stick?

#2 10 years ago

Honestly, it's probably just as techy to upload the code as it is to download it to a stick. maybe even more techy to upload it. Haven't done a WOZ but did plenty of Sterns. JJP tech support seems real good so I'm sure they will help you through the process. If not, I'm sure you could coax someone local to come help you out. they get to play some WOZ and you get some updates. Best way to make new pinball friends.

#3 10 years ago

You are going to need 2 different sticks for that. You can't put a full update and an incremental on the same stick (well you could but probably not worth the complexity).

In the case of WOZ the techy part is getting the update on the stick, especially for a full install. The actual update process is simply plug in the stick and turn the game on.

If there is someone else local you know that has a WOZ then maybe they will help.

But I think you have a good point and JJP should offer preloaded sticks. Might be a business opportunity for someone.

Parker

#4 10 years ago

It's 2014, tech savvy is relative. Follow the instructions on the JJP site ( I'm assuming there is documentation on it) and learn it.

Pretty simple stuff even for a newb, once you do it once or twice you'll be a pro.

#5 10 years ago

If I had my WOZ (Yet!) and could test it, I'd make you one to send in exchange for the cost of the drives. How about someone with a WOZ make this guy a couple USB drives with the update and send them his way in exchange for the cost? Sounds like he'd even pay for the time spent.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

You are going to need 2 different sticks for that. You can't put a full update and an incremental on the same stick (well you could but probably not worth the complexity).
In the case of WOZ the techy part is getting the update on the stick, especially for a full install. The actual update process is simply plug in the stick and turn the game on.
If there is someone else local you know that has a WOZ then maybe they will help.
But I think you have a good point and JJP should offer preloaded sticks. Might be a business opportunity for someone.
Parker

Actually there's no reason why you can't. You first create the boot USB off the ISO. It does not end up with a woz_update folder. Then you drag the incremental woz_update folder onto the USB root and you're done. Insert the USB and boot. It will image 1.24. Then when done, pull the USB, boot the woz 1.24, insert USB again and update to 2.0 via tools menu.

#7 10 years ago

Another idea is that the OP could buy 2 appropriate drives and send them to LTG or some other JJP tech support who I'd hope would be willing to fill them with the updates.

#8 10 years ago

This actually a really good idea. Not everyone has the time or wants to learn to do something they're completely unfamiliar with. I've had clients for years with multi-million dollar homes that won't even change a light bulb in their games. It's not that they are incapable, obviously with homes like they have, they're not dumb or unwilling to get things done, it's just something they're completely unfamiliar with, and their time is better spent elsewhere.

I'm going to add the latest WOZ update to my site on USB stick. Order it and the latest version (alpha and delta) will come ready to put on your game.

We'll see how it goes, if no one has a need, I'll simply remove it...

www.LockWhenLit.com/products.htm

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#9 10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I think I managed to download the 1.24 full install to my Mac yesterday--with DSL it was an almost 3 hour process and my computer kept wanting to go into sleep mode (and I wasn't sure if that would stop the download so I stayed at the computer the entire time.) So now I must figure out how to get it from the computer to the stick (which I am hoping is not another 3 hour process). But I would be very open to buying updates preloaded on the sticks because that would cut out two steps--all I would have to do is plug it into the Pin.

#10 10 years ago

KenPin - check out the post above.
http://www.LockWhenLit.com/products.htm

#11 10 years ago

Cool. Thanks

#12 10 years ago

Place an order for the Update Stick for WOZ. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
13,000 (OBO)
$ 16.95
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.50
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-place-to-buy-software-updates-on-a-memory-stick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.