New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 272701)

Is There Any Parts In A Fireball Home Edition Worth Saving

By Elevatorman

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 88 days ago by Elevatorman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

I can grab a non working Fireball Home Edition close to home and was just curious if it's even worth grabbing for parts. It's in nice shape non working for free.
I've never seen one much less the inside.
Thanks

#2 3 months ago

I for one could use a lockdown bar

And there were a couple different playfield styles....I think posts might be different.... depending on what you get we should talk

Ed

Quoted from Elevatorman:

I can grab a non working Fireball Home Edition close to home and was just curious if it's even worth grabbing for parts. It's in nice shape non working for free.
I've never seen one much less the inside.
Thanks

#3 3 months ago

For free? How is it NOT worth grabbing ha! If anything it's a fun novelty, get it working and give it to some kids or something if you don't want it.

#4 3 months ago

this is the tricky part, these games used custom ICs that are NLA.

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

this is the tricky part, these games used custom ICs that are NLA.

John Robertson at flippers.com has reproduced those custom chips to make those boards work again.

Plenty of repair info is located here:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally_Home_Models

They use all commercial Bally assemblies on the playfield: flippers, slingshots, pop bumpers, outhole, etc. Same units you would find on other Bally solid states like Playboy or Star Trek.

It's worth fixing in my opinion.

#6 3 months ago

The Home fireball is not as hard to get working as you may think. Often the problem is a shorted diode or bad capacitor on the power supply. If you can fix the power supply the game may be functional. The service manual and schematics are available for download and purchase.

#7 3 months ago

The power supply board typically has burnt connectors which are fairly easy to replace.

#8 3 months ago

The backglass (sometimes Plexi) artwork alone, is worth picking it up.

#9 3 months ago

I enjoy playing mine. but I did swap some parts from it to other games I had.

inlane wire forms are same as my Xenon. The shooter rod that was bent on my Flight 2000 was swapped. I used the legs for awhile while another set was being soaked in Evaporust. ... the legs are a lighter gauge steel than standard but the machine is lighter weight super easy to move.

As stated above uses standard Bally assemblies. so it plays like a standard Bally classic.

Free is always a good price

#10 3 months ago

Thanks for all the info everyone.
I'll go get it.

#11 3 months ago

Did you pick it up yet?

#13 3 months ago

Congrats!

Really the answer is, unless a game infested with something you don't want to bring into your house, free is always worth it.

The only rationale not to pick it up is if you want to pass the deal onto somebody else if you are out of space or have too many projects already.

#14 3 months ago

YES, please retain parts for this game. You can no longer get many parts on the playfield PCBs. Break a switch and you're screwed.

I obtained one of these a few months back and ended up having to replace the "3" target. Unfortunately, because NOS or repro drop-in replacements don't exist, I had to wire in a normal standup target from another game. That led to the board not mounting properly, and multiple top lane rollovers not registering because of flex in the board. Even if I raised the board and adjusted the rollover switch arms, the pop bumpers would have no way of registering. That led to having to rip out all the old switches on the bottom board, install brand new normal parts (including new lamp sockets, because remember that those are on the board itself too), re-wire everything to the points on the PCB and extend the mounting of the board to the playfield. It was a lot of work and I'm happy with the results (especially having proper pop bumper leaf switches), but it's not something anyone should want to have to do because one switch died.

On a side note, I highly recommend "modernizing" this game a bit. Stock out of the box it's not that great, but lower the flippers a bit so they hit the ball harder, put a power ball or globall (the later is preffered) in it, LED it out, wire in a couple extra bulbs in the back to brighten things up, and replace those flipper parts too (chances are they are 40 years old and need it anyway). When this thing flips and plays fast, it's a lot of fun.

1 week later
#15 88 days ago

Sorry I took so long to get back. I finally picked it up.
He tried to fix it himself but couldn't figure out how to lift playfield.
He had the side rails off lol.
Anyway I showed him his issue and offered to fix it for him on the spot but he didn't want it anyway. It was very nice so I gave him a 100 bucks for it.
A burnt connector and pins redone and it's back in business.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Brick, NJ
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 22.50
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
bB Customs
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside