Is there any love out there for WOF????

By henhel

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I would like some info on WOF. Is it a players game or would non pinballers have a good time with it??? Also what price would be fair on a nice clean plug and play pin. Thanks, Henry

#2 8 years ago

nope.

IMO

#3 8 years ago

I like it! I didn't keep mine, but it's a better game than it gets credit for. The layout is really unique and cool & the rules are much different than other games. It will always have a bad rap for having abandoned code...but what's there is pretty fun. Non-pinballers wouldn't notice what's missing, that's for sure.

#4 8 years ago

I like the gameplay it's different and fun, but hate the strange outer lanes.

#5 8 years ago

One of the strangest of all time. Into it? Then cool. I place it kinda into the same bucket as Safe Cracker. A true outlier on the bell curve.

#6 8 years ago

It's a pretty pin. Too bad it's another Stern, with not totally finished code. A few bugs also in code.

#7 8 years ago

Ummm no. Just forget it ever happened.

#8 8 years ago

I wouldn't buy one unless it was a great deal but I really enjoyed the pin. It has a interesting layout and decent ruleset, fun game.

#9 8 years ago

Really needs a color dmd. Hope it gets done at some point.

#10 8 years ago

WOF slot - yes.

WOF pin - no.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

WOF slot - yes.
WOF pin - no.

OHHH NOOO!!! I gave that slot my paycheck one night years ago somewhere around lake Tahoe, haven't played a slot since!!!

It was fun though! The next week working on the road without any money wasn't!

#12 8 years ago

I really like the game, although many people hate it. The code is a little rusty and can use some tweaks (which it did get in a code version that wasn't released to the public), and the playfield could also use a minor tweak (left ramp return sometimes drops it right to the outlane).

Other than those issues I think it's a terrific game. I'd value it around $3k.

#13 8 years ago

3k. I really enjoy the unique layout but think it is probably not the best pin for casual players.

#14 8 years ago

I absolutely love my WOF. The gameplay is like no other pin. Keeping track of what bonuses each contestant has before you solve the puzzle is a skill in itself. A totally underrated (and undercoded) pin.

I once asked Gary his opinion of WOF. He scrunched up his face, shook his head and said "Not one of my favorites".

Fun Fact: It was originally supposed to be a "Survivor" (the series, not the band) and a "Who Want's to Be a Millionaire" theme.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Fun Fact: It was originally supposed to be a "Survivor" (the series, not the band) and a "Who Want's to Be a Millionaire" theme.

lol Survivor may have been a more appropriate theme from what I've seen. I haven't played it but would love to. It looks fun and I love the different layout.

#16 8 years ago

I've owned WoF since 2007 NIB. Still a lot of fun. Unique playfield and unique rules......and in-line drops!

#17 8 years ago

I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I love this pin! When I grew up this show was a family favorite of ours. My sister and I were always trying to solve a puzzle before our parents so the theme really hits home as corny as it sounds. The unique bottom half of the playfield with the dual outlane saves and extra wide center drain really strengthens your nudging skills. The game within a game aspect is very cool and one day someone just might finish the code. The one I played at Allentown had the color matching LEDs in the GI and it just looked so pretty. The most fun I had the whole show. I got lucky and scored a fantastic condition HUO only, one owner, barely played example for 2000. My tastes don't always reflect what a true player would steer towards. I loved my Gilligan's Island and had to play her over and over, still miss her. I enjoy the hell out of my Sharkey's Shootout and everyone loves the WOF!

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

and in-line drops!

Oh yeah what he said! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#19 8 years ago

Personally like the game, think it's a good player, very unique layout have to nudge like crazy to keep the ball in play an really want to collect your second spins , coz you are going to need them.. Very beautiful to look at , an like someone above said has inline drops, which are always awsome, very cool skill shot to, if the price is rite would seriously look into it, very underrated!!!

#21 8 years ago

I bought one new in box for 2600 delivered in that Canadian deal. I routed it for a while and then sold it for what I had into it. It was a good looking game, but not much to play. It earned about as much as a normal pinball does, not much!

#22 8 years ago

No

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

I bought one new in box for 2600 delivered in that Canadian deal.

Yup, me too! Say what you will about the game's flaws - but it was pretty exciting getting a NIB Stern for less than $3k!

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

News to me.

#25 8 years ago

My family really likes mine. Was fortunate to find one with less than 300 plays, with about $1,200 of mods at a great price.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

with about $1,200 of mods at a great price.

Can you please post a photo of the mods? I don't of anything other than leds or an ocd board.

#27 8 years ago

BR posted a video on my pins that shows everything .

#28 8 years ago

Source is an interview with Dennis Nordman in Pinball Magazine #2. (starts on page 100)

#29 8 years ago

Its all about the connections. Only the inner circle of people who worked on the game knew about it being a survivor pin. Then Gary used a Men in Black type neuralyzer to wipe their memory clean.

#30 8 years ago

We did a custom one a couple years ago. The theme was mediocre but the game was pretty fun. Was cool pimping one out

2 months later
#31 8 years ago

Just played a wof on location at abos pizza in Denver. Really a fun game and I was pretty impressed. It's simple rules but a cool layout and the game I played on location actually worked perfectly. I couldn't believe it. Anyway I had a lot of fun but didn't get too super far in the game. My best score was like 63 million with only 1 extra ball possible per game. I like the in line drops and once I finally figured out the rules I really enjoyed it.

#32 8 years ago

WOF is a good game to have in a larger collection to add variety and it is very unique. If I only had room for a couple pins it would not make the cut. It is leaning towards being in the novelty category with its unique layout. I also call it a modern day EM because you really need to tilt the machine to avoid drains with the extra wide opening between the flippers. I really enjoy the game play strategy with spinning the wheel to progress the puzzle and trying to solve it.

#34 8 years ago

Wife and I had a lot of fun playing it at a show. Not sure how long I'd like it at home, but was fun to us.

#35 8 years ago

Not a game for the home, but I agree that WOF is not given enough credit - I enjoy playing it at shows. The wheel toy in particular is very well done.

#36 8 years ago

It's a fun pin! Very different, but different is good. The only warning I would give, is I personally believe it belongs in a medium to large collection. I could see it getting old fast in a single pin to small line up.

I would really like to add a WOF to my lineup one day, & that wheel is one of the coolest & well known toys in All of Pinball!

1 week later
#37 8 years ago

The pin has some great ideas... I love the center post that requires nudging, and the outlane saves are brilliant. All the shots are varied and interesting. The theme itself is a little dated at this point, but otherwise a nice implementation.

#38 8 years ago

I think the layout is great, nice flow. And I love machines that have unusual lower playfield designs... (like a lot of my EM's), this one is great and keeps you on your toes. Fun fast game!

I have a difficult time with the voice call outs, Whiny-nasely??? I feel the same about Metallica- but I'm changing the worst sound offenders...

#39 8 years ago

Anyone remember why it bombed when it came out? Theme is pretty harmless. It needed code, but its not like it is any worse than any other initial release.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Anyone remember why it bombed when it came out? Theme is pretty harmless. It needed code, but its not like it is any worse than any other initial release.

Frustratingly hard for casual players and just too different is my guess.

#41 8 years ago

So being that this game has the unfinished/bbuggy code, Why is it still selling for more than it did at release?? Is it because of theme? I have been trying to get one for the past 6 years but refuse to pay 3k+. I can't even find a routed or players condition example because they all seem to be HUO. I mostly want it for the wife as a present because she is a big fan of the show.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

So being that this game has the unfinished/bbuggy code, Why is it still selling for more than it did at release?? Is it because of theme? I have been trying to get one for the past 6 years but refuse to pay 3k+. I can't even find a routed or players condition example because they all seem to be HUO. I mostly want it for the wife as a present because she is a big fan of the show.

Same reason 24 and CSI pull mid 3's. It is rare. Lotta people hunt down rare games just to be different.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Same reason 24 and CSI pull mid 3's. It is rare. Lotta people hunt down rare games just to be different.

WOF is a lot more fun to play than those two, and some collectors like that it is not the usual layout.

#44 8 years ago

Played it at PHOF a few years back and really enjoyed it. Later on found a deal on a NIB so bought it, wanted to like it, but it just never clicked with me after that. As a former owner, I don't miss it at all.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

They generally sell in the $3,000 - $3,500 range and it's a lot of machine for that money imo. These sold for $4,000 or so new (depending on distributor) so they are priced under new at the range they sell for now. The "blowout pricing" that is commonly referred to around here was for a small handful of machines (3 or 4 I believe) that were demos.

While the software could use some polish to clean up a few bugs and perhaps implement a wizard mode (that most people would never get to), it is still very good and better and more creative (software-wise) than many other modern games.

#46 8 years ago

I wish it didn't drain so much. Hard to keep the ball in play long which you need to complete the puzzles.

#47 8 years ago

It's a quite beautiful DUD, IMO. Hence the "Wheel of Torture" moniker I bestowed upon it in disgust and disdain. There's a reason for low production numbers. It didn't sell well. There's a reason it didn't sell well. Now it stands as a testament to Stern's ability to abandon a game before it's "finished".

Sorry Wheel lovers, but just because me and maybe two other people thinking it's DUD shouldn't affect your fondness for it. The only way this game makes 'sleeper' status is if they finally finish the code. I wish they would so I could move on to hating on a different game.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Good question. There was someone in Canada selling these nib with duties paid for $2000.00 shipped. A lot of folks bought nib for that price. Back then you could get a routed FGY for $2000 or a $1250 WH2O. These folks have been on the raw end of the incline and have found that persistence pays off. On the flip side, there are a lot of nice WOF's out there. Who wants $2500 for one is another thread (pm me)

3 years later
#49 4 years ago

Old thread to bump but whatever. I love WOF too and hope to get one someday. Despite the unfinished code, in my opinion it's still pretty strategic and has some interesting rules.

#50 4 years ago

It can be fun to shoot, but because of the broken code, it's not for advanced players. It's a total nothing brick wall upon reaching the end.
I couldn't wait to get rid of mine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-any-love-out-there-for-wof?hl=otrchief and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.