(Topic ID: 254604)

Is there always this many used pins for sale?

By cory79

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pinmeister
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Seems like there is a lot of used pins for sale. Is it always like this, or is it just that time of year?

#2 4 years ago

yes.

#3 4 years ago

Good times!

AND ... for anyone interested, I'm planning to list my super nice Iron Man VE and Sopranos games soon!

Get 'em while they're hot!

#4 4 years ago

There are more pinball manufacturers now and they are turning out good machines on a regular basis. In my case if I want to buy one of these, I have to either sell one of my other games or place one in storage to make room for the new one. This is freeing up a lot of B and C games for the market.

#5 4 years ago

BuyBuyBuy!!

#6 4 years ago

Is cold storage bad on Pins?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from cory79:

Is cold storage bad on Pins?

Drastic temperature changes can damage painted backglasses and cause the paint to flake off. I think humidity control is more important than temperature as high humidity will lead to rust, mold and corrosion. Also, rodent/insect concerns are a reality with games in storage. Be sure to remove batteries before putting games in storage too.

#8 4 years ago

Generally speaking there are always a lot of games for sale, but it does seem to ebb and flow a little bit.

I have zero data to back it up, but I personally feel like more games get sold in the spring and fall. Again, that is just what I feel I have zero evidence.

#9 4 years ago

seems about the same as it always has, but summer time is typically a little slower

#10 4 years ago

Not concerned about paint flaking off. They already doing that. Do older EM machines have batteries?

#11 4 years ago

nope!

#12 4 years ago

Yep. 2 things:

1. Pinball has a SUPER quick turnaround time. People buy, play, get bored, and resell fast. And 98% of the time they add in a few hundred to make a profit.

2. Many new machines being produced causes used pins to be sold to fund NIB purchases.

#13 4 years ago

Yes, winter has always been peak buying/selling season... 10k by Christmas

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

This is freeing up a lot of B and C games for the market.

Only problem with that is now they are at $1000 or more higher than just six months ago.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Only problem with that is now they are at $1000 or more higher than just six months ago.

TWO HUGE THUMBS UP FOR THIS POST!!!

F me people are crazy with pricing right now.

Or I guess I should say people are crazy for buying at these prices.

I'll say it again, "Try and sell me your $3500 Demo Man"............as I fall out of my chair laughing!

Thanks
    Blake

#17 4 years ago

Ive noticed this too.. but there is an arcade going out of business in our state.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

Ive noticed this too.. but there is an arcade going out of business in our state.

Please buy me a pin

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

I'll say it again, "Try and sell me your $3500 Demo Man"............as I fall out of my chair laughing!
    Thanks
    Blake

are people really buying them? I just laugh at the prices and laugh again 4 months later when they are still for sale. Guys now are buying at $3500 and paying $400 shipping and then putting $500 in mods and then try to sell at $5000. Sorry, does not work that way.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Thanks
    Blake

I see a mix. Some sellers still pricing fair. They are the only ones worth dealing with. Others smoking crack and/or fishing for dumb newbs who don't know better.

Always annoying when a dumb newb overpays for a particulr pin and then a bunch of owners instantly think theirs is worth that much as well.

And then there's the scumbag price pumpers who all start shilling for the same turd pin, trying to artificially inflate the value, which astonishlingly seems to work every time on this site. I can smell the bullshit a mile away, but apparently many cannot.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Yep. 2 things:
    1. Pinball has a SUPER quick turnaround time. People buy, play, get bored, and resell fast. And 98% of the time they add in a few hundred to make a profit.
    2. Many new machines being produced causes used pins to be sold to fund NIB purchases.

Totally agree with this. I have 3 pins in my basement... they are the 8th, and 12th I've bought (along with a temporary trade I have for my 7th). I got my first pin last summer. I really like having variety in my games. What other hobby can you buy a toy play with it a few months and then sell it for about what you paid for it?

You can't do this with new games, but you can do it with DMDs pretty easily.

There are also a ton of great new games out there. Look at the best games from the 2010s and then look at the best games of the 2000s... There are 2 really good games from the 2000s... TSPP and LOTR... There are more great games available NIB than at any time since the early 1990s right now.

Today you can buy a NIB:

Monster Bash
    Attack From Mars
    Medieval Madness
    Star Wars
    Elvira
    Jurassic Park
    Deadpool
    Black Knight
    Munsters
    Wonka
    Nightmare Castle
    Octoberfest
    P3
    Thunderbirds

Out of these the only ones that have tanked are Thunderbirds, and to a lesser extent Munsters and Black Knight.

There are a lot of new games people are interested in right now. Less than 10 years ago pinside had to be content with exciting pins like.. Avatar, Avengers, and World Poker tour.

I think that competition is driving the market to push out better pins. I like most of these new pins too... but will be scooping up the BKSOR and JP after prices have tanked when the next lot is out.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

are people really buying them? I just laugh at the prices and laugh again 4 months later when they are still for sale. Guys now are buying at $3500 and paying $400 shipping and then putting $500 in mods and then try to sell at $5000. Sorry, does not work that way.

I'm sure they are not selling as fast or for as much as some would hope. Lots of dreamers out there.

Thanks
    Blake

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I see a mix. Some sellers still pricing fair. They are the only ones worth dealing with. Others smoking crack and/or fishing for dumb newbs who don't know better.
    Always annoying when a dumb newb overpays for a particulr pin and then a bunch of owners instantly think theirs is worth that much as well.
    And then there's the scumbag price pumpers who all start shilling for the same turd pin, trying to artificially inflate the value, which astonishlingly seems to work every time on this site. I can smell the bullshit a mile away, but apparently many cannot.

Yes you are completely right, and of course I am poking fun to a certain extent. Lots of folks to do business with here and elsewhere. I also find that if you are a contributing part of the community and are here to do more then shop, then better deals will find there way to you.

Thanks
    Blake

#24 4 years ago

With so many bad ones of late, the more they keep churning out, the more people will want to get rid of them in record time.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from cory79:

Seems like there is a lot of used pins for sale. Is it always like this, or is it just that time of year?

You just encouraged me to list a pin.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87048

#26 4 years ago

Yes.

Are there always this many posts asking if more games are for sale than usual and does this mean the bubble is bursting?

Also yes.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

And 98% of the time they add in a few hundred to make a profit.

To me this is the thing that's changed the most. The quick resale prices are getting lower and lower...Or does it just seen that what way and duds like Munsters are taking the hit?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Look at the best games from the 2010s and then look at the best games of the 2000s... There are 2 really good games from the 2000s... TSPP and LOTR... There are more great games available NIB than at any time since the early 1990s right now.
    Today you can buy a NIB:
    Monster Bash
    Attack From Mars
    Medieval Madness
    Star Wars
    Elvira
    Jurassic Park
    Deadpool
    Black Knight
    Munsters
    Wonka
    Nightmare Castle
    Octoberfest
    P3
    Thunderbirds
    Out of these the only ones that have tanked are Thunderbirds, and to a lesser extent Munsters and Black Knight.
    There are a lot of new games people are interested in right now. Less than 10 years ago pinside had to be content with exciting pins like.. Avatar, Avengers, and World Poker tour.
    I think that competition is driving the market to push out better pins. I like most of these new pins too... but will be scooping up the BKSOR and JP after prices have tanked when the next lot is out.

Right about here is where you went off the rails. Way more than 2 good pins from between 2000-2010. Fair share of duds since then. And what makes you think Munsters and Black Knight tanked? Stern doesnt release their sales figures. You have no clue how many they sold.

I agree there are lots of pins to choose from right now, but it's frankly too many (oversaturation) and the majority are way over-priced. We are lately seeing JJP and Stern compete for how far they can bend the NIB buyers over with worthless bling and faux collectibility. I'm embarrassed for anyone paying +$5k for different powder coat and a numbered plaque. No Mr. Buyer, you did not just buy the "best version". You just flushed $5000 down the toilet.

Sorry for the sour grapes attitude. I'm just fed up with the over-priced new/used pin market. And it's mainly the buyers' fault. If more of us possessed the restraint and good sense to draw the line this wouldn't be happening. I really don't get it. Apparently way too many present-day pin collectors are burdened with too much cash and no interest in paying fair value.

#29 4 years ago

What does TSSP and BKSOR mean?

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Totally agree with this. I have 3 pins in my basement... they are the 8th, and 12th I've bought (along with a temporary trade I have for my 7th). I got my first pin last summer. I really like having variety in my games. What other hobby can you buy a toy play with it a few months and then sell it for about what you paid for it?
    You can't do this with new games, but you can do it with DMDs pretty easily.
    There are also a ton of great new games out there. Look at the best games from the 2010s and then look at the best games of the 2000s... There are 2 really good games from the 2000s... TSPP and LOTR... There are more great games available NIB than at any time since the early 1990s right now.
    Today you can buy a NIB:
    Monster Bash
    Attack From Mars
    Medieval Madness
    Star Wars
    Elvira
    Jurassic Park
    Deadpool
    Black Knight
    Munsters
    Wonka
    Nightmare Castle
    Octoberfest
    P3
    Thunderbirds

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from cory79:

Two Sisters Slap People

Big Kids See Ordinary Results

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

what arcade is going out of business? Flipperz?

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from cory79:

We have abbreviations for pretty much every pin. The simpsons pinball party and black knight sword of rage.

#33 4 years ago

Yes and add 3 more real soon.
    All Gottlieb Wedgeheads
    Atlantis
    4 Square
    El Dorado

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from cory79:

Yeah. Just too far from civilization I guess.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from cory79:

To figure out the abbreviations, go to “MACHINES “ and enter the mystery abbreviation. 99% of the time it will pull up the game.

If you’re tempted to buy a game, I suggest not only researching games on Pinside by reading the reviews (which are extremely subjective, and thus should be taken with a grain of salt), but also using the game locator map to find arcades by you with a sample of a game you think you might be interested in buying. Even then, if the game is not properly dialed in, you might have issues.

Indeed, pricing seems high right now, but I personally think that once the economy turns south, prices will drop as sales slump. I worry that companies like American Pinball will go under, which is a shame ‘cause I happen to think Houdini is an awesome game and I’m hoping for something equally great down the line from them.

Finally, unless it’s a rare game like The Big Lebowski (TBL), just about every game you see for sale will eventually pop up again as you figure out the going rate. Thus, I remain confident a Pinball Magic (PM) will rear up on the west coast any day (or month) now.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from cory79:

Quoted from orangegsx:

Yeah. Just too far from civilization I guess.

I'm sure that didn't help. A 40+ mile drive each way is a big reason why I've only made it out there a few times to play. Unfortunately, I've heard that back issues are the main reason he's closing shop.

Flipperz selling his games is a major reason why so many have been up for grabs lately, in ND at least. But the numbers here aren't hard to top in this pinball wasteland.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Supply and demand. Try finding a nice Mousin Around, Jack*Bot, or Grand Lizard. But if a machine is truly priced too high for the market, it simply won't sell at that price.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-always-this-many-used-pins-for-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.