(Topic ID: 167638)

Is there a way to bench test a WPC Power Driver Board?

By JohnnyPhantom

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by adalogue
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3535 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

Digging up this old thread. I was about to start one with the same topic but found this. It hasn't quite answered my questions. Apologies if this is not appropriate. I will start another thread if directed to.

Quoted from terryb:

It's possible to do with a cpu and some of the testers made by siegecraft and pinitech. Not a simple project though and you'll need decent electronics knowledge.

I have a switching power supply with +5V and +12V outputs. Coupled with the Siegecraft and Pinitech testers I have successfully bench tested some Data East v2, v3 and Williams System 11B boards. These boards work easily due to the external power supply.

The WPC power driver board is a little different and my electronics knowledge is not solid (I was trained in a completely different field with a career in yet another completely different field). I looked through the schematics and I think it's safe to do what I want but I would like to have some confirmation from smarter people with more knowledge and experience than me.

1) I think it's safe to plug +5V, +12V and GND to J114 because I've seen switching power supplies with +5V soldered to the test points for failing +5V circuitry.

1a) Is this safe to do?
1b) For +5V will it cause any damage to the LM323 or other components upstream?
1c) For +12V will it cause any damage to the LM7812 or other components upstream?
1d) If so can I simply pop out F115 to protect those +12V components?

2) If I attach +12V to the +18V test point to supply power to the lamp matrix will this cause issues with the LM7812 or other components upstream?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

You are also connecting up a cpu and some type of display?

Yes. I have connections for the CPU board, power driver board, flipper control board, dot matrix controller board and dot matrix display. The dot matrix display is low voltage (completely driven off +5V).

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to connect the sound boards (both pre-DCS and DCS) to the setup. It's the different AC inputs, rectification and negative voltages for the amplifiers that currently have me stumped (as mentioned my electronics knowledge is limited but I do know enough to know that "BadThings(tm)" can happen very quickly if you're not careful or correct).

Thank you for the confirmation!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I presume you're building a test fixture, rather than just trying to fix a board. I built my own also and you're taking on a helluva project.

I wouldn't call a tabletop a test fixture ... more a backwoods hillbilly approach. Pretty much wiring harnesses and the ribbon cables. I've had to fix a few (of my own) boards now and my machines are (currently) not located where the repair work is done so each testing of a repair requires a trip and that slows down the turnaround time. I'm just trying to increase my level of confidence of a repair. It will also serve well in the future as I have a line of project machines waiting.

Quoted from terryb:

... so I could completely test the PDB and DMD controller.

I'm happy to test high voltage and AC at the machine for three reasons.

1) Having a transformer would greatly complicate the wiring on the tabletop.
2) I am trying to avoid high voltage on the tabletop.
3) Transformers are f***ing heavy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 180.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-way-to-bench-test-a-wpc-power-driver-board?tu=DumbAss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.